Print Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17
#1246729 04/15/05 12:34 AM
B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
I just got some weapon r headers on ebay for $250. How much should I pay for the install of these? Also what king of performance gain will I get from these? Getting ready to buy a cold air intake for the car now also. I figure these 2 mods will make it pretty quick.

H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
I wrote a big ole review of 'em, but I can't find it. Anyway, let's go:

1.The y-pipe has a 3 bolt flange to the cat, I didn't have to change it because I have a 2000 SE. IIRC, just early SVT's have a 2-bolt flange, but I'm not sure off the top of my head. The WR y-pipe does have a 3-bolt flange, yes. Me owing a 1999 svt has a 2 bolt, so i was out of luck on this one.

2.Also over a peroid of time did you get worse gas mileage better? Notice a big power gain?
Mileage suffered a little because I had a leak somewheres. The EGR does not line up correctly, so I ran without an EGR tube for a short time; during which mileage went to about a dozen mpg. Once that was stragthened out, mileage is about the same; it depends on how I drive it basically. Power gain? You betcha. Definitly a couple ponies back in the corral; I'll know for sure in April when I go to the meet in Huntsville and dyno.

As I mentioned above, the EGR does not line up easily. You can a) bend the EGR tube; which is grade 18 steel and not easily bent, or b) cut the EGR tube and install a brass hose fitting. That's how we did mine. Take off the EGR tube, cut it with a hacksaw just below the top nut - there's a straight section a few inches long; cut there. The brass fitting is used for connecting hydraulic hoses and air lines. I think it's called a "compression fitting" to be more exact. I can't remember the exact dimension of the fitting, though, and it must be exact so it won't leak.

The install was terrible, but now that I've done it, it's a breeze. If you take your time and have a spare car, it can be done very easily. If you're planning to do it yourself, a lift is very very useful. Air tools are not as useful, since the amount of space is very limited.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
Where can I get a 3 flange y pipe so i can install the weapon r? Or is there another way to do it?

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Got a set in today for Bk4293. They're for his 3L I'm building. Anyway they look REALLY well made, actually. People who said the SS was thin and could crush it with their hand must be either superhuman or on crack. This things are SOLID! And their Y-pipe is REALLY nicely made, not like the POS MSDS unit which has the crappy "V-Bend" in it!

I can't talk about fitment yet as I only just opened the box and took a look, but so far they look nicer than the MSDS units I've installed.

I can take pics if someone wants to host them.

PM me.

PS they only flaw I see right now is the lack of a lower O2 sensor bung for the back bank, but for Bk's car I think I'm going connect the two lower )2 harnessses into one Lower sensor (+ MiIL's ) to eliminate that problem.

Last edited by Stazi; 04/15/05 12:08 PM.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by Stazi:
... they look REALLY well made, actually. People who said the SS was thin and could crush it with their hand must be either superhuman or on crack. This things are SOLID! And their Y-pipe is REALLY nicely made, not like the POS MSDS unit which has the crappy "V-Bend" in it!

I've seen a set off & on a car too. They did seem quite solid. Fitment was a bit of a pain, but the brass compression fitting deal worked well enough to get the job done. I've never had them on my car so I cannot speak of gains.

The Y that I saw was no better, or not much better, than the MSDS Y. IF it will fit, use a modded stock Y. DEFINATELY your best option there.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Use your stock Y if it will fit. DEFINATELY the best option for a Y - especially if it has been modded.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I can tell you now that the y-collector on the y-pipe they supply looks better than any modded y-pipe I've seen. Like I said I have picturs to show this. It's well thought out.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
I remember reading somewhere that WR revised their headers fairly early on. The early sets were suposed to be the ones that had most of the issues(ie easily bent). That also seems to be what everyones bad opinions are based on. I've never read a post in recent years on any of the contour/cougar boards from someone that was unhappy with them.
I'd like to see close up pictures of them, since I have actually been considering a set. Try photobucket.com to host the pictures. If you dont want to create an account, I'll host them.

"...first he's gonna s*!t, then he's gonna kill us." 1999 Contour SVT Retrojunk.com
B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
hi, Im still a little confused from the emails. My csvt is the early 2 bolt flange type. So are you guys telling me I can bolt to the 3 bolt flange on the new weapon r headers im getting? If I cant how do I do it?

B
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
B
How about I host the pics Staz?

Shoot 'em to my E-mail.

www.ChicagoCEG.com 2006 White Grand Prix
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard