Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1237917 04/06/05 03:14 PM
W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
Hey there. MSDS headers on a 99' SVT... do the headers alone make the exhaust sound "raspy"? I really like the stock "smoothness"... it has a nice smooth, NON-raspy sound. I know that the cat's have a lot to do with that, but I am wondering if the headers make it raspy or not. Also... overall, looking for the performance that the headers give for sure, secondly, looking for a stock-like sound, just a bit louder, same smooth deep sound though. What do you guys suggest, and secondly... do any of you have any sound clips or any of this?... even the stock exhaust with MSDS headers vs. stock or whatever, that would be VERY helpful... all of the posts that I found in the search were very old and none of the links worked. Thanx guys!

P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
When I put the headers on my car, the sound did get deeper and meaner, but not raspy or fart-can. I think that a quality cataback with good resonators can give you some more power without making the sound deteriorate in quality.

99 E1 SVT Black/Tan, MSDS Headers, SHO-Shop Y, BAT Intake, Opt. TB, UR Clutch/Flywheel, Quaife, B&M, Konis, GC Coilovers, Pulley, Mintex Pads, 17" MAS Italy Rogers, Nitto 215/45/17, Portmatch, 138K
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
Yeah i think that the header's should not affect the overall rasp of your exhaust. It all depends on the cat-back you have. I beleive the main influences are the cat, as you suggested, and the resonators/mufflers your running. IIRC it's mainly the resonator though. Someone correct me if i'm wrong. Overall headers would be a nice mod, i think they give around 10-15 hp and would sound SWEET even with stock SVT exhaust. If you wanted it louder you could also look into an aftermarket cat-back system (but many will create rasp).

CSVT#1321/2150 Born 1/6/2000 It's just a Contour.. Before Dyno: 178.9whp w/2.5L 94 Probe 4cyl/150k KYB struts, Magnaflow Polished SS muffler (Daily Driver)
K
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
K
keep in mind that my exhaust was super smooth before hand so i had a great starting point.

headers made my exhaust a little louder for sure. a good loud, but louder non the less. a meaner sound if you will. there still is 0 rasp, but like i said the note isnt quite as smooth as it was.

if you arent running a good catback (with a resinator) you may see some rasp (cant say for sure). i have a magnaflow res. (18" long i think) and didnt get any rasp. even on near 0 degree F mornings.

is the performance worth it? hell yes.

#4559 of 6535 born on Feb 17, 1998 Black 1998.5 CSVT FOR SALE [cleaning house]: SVT rear swaybar. Reasonable offer and its yours!
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
I just checked, and the video I posted over a year ago is no good anymore. Some may remember it. I've got MSDS Headers and y-pipe, Bassani catback and a Magnaflow resonator. I think the sound is perfect, and wouldn't change anything about it. Before the resonator, it did have some rasp, but wasn't ricey rasp. Sounded more like a chainsaw if you ask me, and was REALLY loud. I wouldn't hold back from getting the headers, and if you think it has a little too much rasp, just have a resonator welded in and you're good to go.

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Same exact setup, and I agree 100%. However, the silver on my car, makes the note sound so much better :-)

Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
I just checked, and the video I posted over a year ago is no good anymore. Some may remember it. I've got MSDS Headers and y-pipe, Bassani catback and a Magnaflow resonator. I think the sound is perfect, and wouldn't change anything about it. Before the resonator, it did have some rasp, but wasn't ricey rasp. Sounded more like a chainsaw if you ask me, and was REALLY loud. I wouldn't hold back from getting the headers, and if you think it has a little too much rasp, just have a resonator welded in and you're good to go.

Mark

Ryan Trollin!
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
If it were actually running Get any word from Chuck?

Originally posted by RTStabler51:
Same exact setup, and I agree 100%. However, the silver on my car, makes the note sound so much better :-)

Mark

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
LOL It RUNS just fine...it just can't move!

Should be working on it soon..
If it were actually running Get any word from Chuck?

Originally posted by RTStabler51:

Mark

Mark

Ryan Trollin!
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Well I suppose my question can be answered here aswell. I have a full Tru-bendz SS 2.5 inch cat-back and Tru-bendz SS y-pipe. I also have the strait pipe, meaning no cat. But I have the stock manifolds on the car. I would like to put the MSDS headers on but I'm worried about the noise getting any louder than it already is. Anyone with similar setup would be most helpful. Thanks

RamMotorsports Lowest prices on SPEC Clutches and Flywheels
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
With no cat and one muffler it'll be loud as hell. Either get a main cat, or resonators at the tail pipes to quieten it down after the headers go on.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard