Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
F
I've been getting my oil changed at wal-mart for several years now, both my Contour Se and my CSVT. No problems whatsoever, I do look out once in a while to check to see if they are doing what told to do, but I would do the same at any other place I would take it to.

99' Contour SVT Flowmaster exhaust eibach springs Nokya headlights bulbs Kuhmo tires Custom silver eyelids Other Car 99' contour sport
D
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
D
Sorry guys but a lot of you have it all wrong wal-mart does good oil changes cheap and no they don't 1 qt good stuff and 4 qts bad they use all 5 qts of the oil you pick out wal-mart pays 12 $ for the 5 qt mobil becaus they order 1000's of quarts of it everyday they get a monster discount because all of the stores they have order the same oil and I used to be a lube tech and the employees that worked there did great jobs and the entire time I worked there which was a year they have only had 1 claim filed against them.

M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by XKontour98:
Originally posted by ancientsanskrit:
Originally posted by ancientsanskrit:
Uhmmm...if they charge $25 for the full oil change, how are they making a profit? The oil itself is $25 if they only do 5 qts as the guy who worked for them stated (Mobil-1 is approx. $5/qt). That's a hell of a deal.

Retail price is $5/qt that is not the price that walmart pays for it. Also how much do they sell the 5qt jugs of it for ?

Yes it is 5 qts included in the oil change and then they charge you ~$5 for the extra quart

IIRC, it is $20/5qt jug. So Walmart probably pays $18. Throw in the filter it's 2/3 bucks. Comes to $21 cost and $4 profit for synthetic oil. That's still cheap. I've seen local oil shops around my area charge $50 for synthetic oil changes (includes 6qts, however is twice the price). I'm just stating that this is very affordable for synthetic oil.

You guys are crazy if you think Wally World is only making $2 on each 5qt jug of Mobil 1!

The volume which they buy this stuff, along with their superior inventory management indicates otherwise. Also I'm sure they are making a nice little profit on the filters.

Originally posted by Majisto:
The oil change is just an add-on to its normal business. Wal-Mart doesn't care if it doesn't make a profit in that division, because it makes plenty of profit elsewhere.

This is also quite true. They don't care what their profit margin is on oil changes. They just care that you are stuck there and have to walk around the store.... HOPING you will then buy something, which most people do. Whether it gets people in the store, or it just keeps their regular customers happy, Wally World oil changes are just a side business. Although I'm sure it still addds to their bottom line, and is most certainly not losing them money.

Originally posted by Majisto:
You go to a Wal-Mart in a college town, and some 20-something year old guy is going to come out and care as much about your car as he does his life. Almost every person in their 20s I have met is rude.

Wow, that's quite the blanket statement to make! Now I'm not going to wig on you, because it would only prove your point , but c'mon.... Saying most 20 year olds in the world are rude and don't care about their lives is more than a bit closed minded.....

Last edited by Bridge; 04/05/05 10:58 PM.

CSVT Feels Like Heaven Goes Like Hell Profile
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by Bridge:

Wow, that's quite the blanket statement to make! Now I'm not going to wig on you, because it would only prove your point , but c'mon.... Saying most 20 year olds in the world don't care about their lives and are rude is more than a bit closed minded....

Agreed. I'm 20, I have never been regared as rude, or reckless or anything. I have seen as many older people reckless, and especially rude, just like any other age group. Jerks are all ages.

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Never had my oil changed anywhere but my own yard. But if i was to take it somewhere Walmart wouldnt be at the top of my list

X
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
X
Originally posted by Matt R:

Wow, that's quite the blanket statement to make! Now I'm not going to wig on you, because it would only prove your point , but c'mon.... Saying most 20 year olds in the world don't care about their lives and are rude is more than a bit closed minded....

Agreed. I'm 20, I have never been regared as rude, or reckless or anything. I have seen as many older people reckless, and especially rude, just like any other age group. Jerks are all ages.

Yeah thats not a statement I would say about any age group. Rude and careless people come in all ages!

Originally posted by Chickens:
Religion can't do much for ashholes (unless you are an alterboy)

98.5 Se w/SVT mods 98 E0 SVT~ sold
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Me and dad take both our Contours to Walmart for oil changes, we both get Mobil 1 and we haven't had any problems. We both got tires there too and neither one of us has complaints except my tires don't go very well in the snow.

CoolBlackSE99: proud owner of a 99 Contour SE Sport V6 MTX My cardomain page
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M

Wow, that's quite the blanket statement to make! Now I'm not going to wig on you, because it would only prove your point , but c'mon.... Saying most 20 year olds in the world are rude and don't care about their lives is more than a bit closed minded.....

Sorry, it must just be UT getting to me. Everybody in this town is rude from my experience. It's amazing how many wrecks and close calls happen around the college campus versus in my neighborhood. My family got rear-ended once by some girl in an Xterra who started crying. If she got off her cell phone...

2000 Contour SE
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
The rude college students are a small subset of the whole, but they are the most visible ones. College students who are trying to make something of themselves don't usually have time to go ripping around in their cars, and are better drivers when they do. True, a lot of college kids are real idiots, but so are a lot of older people. There are a ton of 40-50 something guys that are total a-holes. They tend to be less publicly visible, because they are more set in a certain routine, but they are the same ones who made people hate 20 year olds 30 years ago. They just don't have the time or energy to piss off as many people anymore.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard