Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
I got my oil changed at wal-mart once, because I was on a road trip. My engine blew before I got home. Not saying it was their fault... But I haven't gone back.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by ancientsanskrit:
Uhmmm...if they charge $25 for the full oil change, how are they making a profit? The oil itself is $25 if they only do 5 qts as the guy who worked for them stated (Mobil-1 is approx. $5/qt). That's a hell of a deal.

Retail price is $5/qt that is not the price that walmart pays for it. Also how much do they sell the 5qt jugs of it for ?

Yes it is 5 qts included in the oil change and then they charge you ~$5 for the extra quart

Beaten - 2003 MazdaSpeed Protege 29K <- broken hearted Daily/Weekend Beater - 1990 miata 138K - AutoX every weekend = Adult driven on weekends
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by moxnix:
Uhmmm...if they charge $25 for the full oil change, how are they making a profit? The oil itself is $25 if they only do 5 qts as the guy who worked for them stated (Mobil-1 is approx. $5/qt). That's a hell of a deal.

Retail price is $5/qt that is not the price that walmart pays for it. Also how much do they sell the 5qt jugs of it for ?

Yes it is 5 qts included in the oil change and then they charge you ~$5 for the extra quart

IIRC, it is $20/5qt jug. So Walmart probably pays $18. Throw in the filter it's 2/3 bucks. Comes to $21 cost and $4 profit for synthetic oil. That's still cheap. I've seen local oil shops around my area charge $50 for synthetic oil changes (includes 6qts, however is twice the price). I'm just stating that this is very affordable for synthetic oil.

99 Black Contour SE Sport
X
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
X
Originally posted by moxnix:

IIRC, it is $20/5qt jug. So Walmart probably pays $18. Throw in the filter it's 2/3 bucks. Comes to $21 cost and $4 profit for synthetic oil. That's still cheap. I've seen local oil shops around my area charge $50 for synthetic oil changes (includes 6qts, however is twice the price). I'm just stating that this is very affordable for synthetic oil.

I'm still not convinced! That $4 profit is more than sucked upin labor and disposal costs. I worked as a lube tech or a car deler back in HS and hey were maiking $12 off of the parts alone, and still managed to be priced competitively.

Being that its walmart they probably add one qt mobile one + 4qts cheap crap.

Originally posted by Chickens:
Religion can't do much for ashholes (unless you are an alterboy)

98.5 Se w/SVT mods 98 E0 SVT~ sold
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
The oil change is just an add-on to its normal business. Wal-Mart doesn't care if it doesn't make a profit in that division, because it makes plenty of profit elsewhere. This is why people like the stores. Drop your car off, shop, then come back out with a fresh oil change, and quite a bit of time and money saved in the process. It's a genius idea, and obviously lots of people wanted it.

Why should I not trust Wal-Mart anymore than the local quick lube place? It's not like there is some sort of labor force that Wal-Mart brings into each store that doesn't know what they are doing. They hire low-income workers in the labor force in each town just like ANY other business with quick lube. Some stores are worse than others, but that's the town's fault, not Wal-Mart. You goto a Wal-Mart in a college town, and some 20-something year old guy is going to come out and care as much about your car as he does his life. Almost every person in their 20s I have met is rude. Wal-Mart is going to hire whoever will work cheap.

I have my oil change done at my private mechanic. I don't let anybody touch my car except for him because he has direct control over anything that goes on. He's in his 50s and knows what he's doing. But it doesn't mean I go and call Wal-Mart the worse place to get oil changes simply because of its name. How silly is that? I just like going to places where people know what they are doing. You will usually only find that at a small indepdent shop owned by some older guy who has done this stuff for years.

2000 Contour SE
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
I never let anyone touch my car anymore, for stuff like that. I'll do my own change on the road rather than have a shop do it. I go to Wal-Mart, get the 6 (or 7) qts of Mobil 1, a $1.96 funnel and a $0.96 oil pan and either have a K&N with me or buy a Motorcraft there. I got ramps for $16 or something rediculous, but they are a bit bulky to bring with you. I have done work on my car by rolling it onto a curb, jacking it up with my spare tire jack and putting concrete blocks under the wheels, digging a groove in a gravel parking lot so that I can get under it, etc. I am pretty anxious to have my own garage, but until then, I'll keep working on my car in apartment parking lots and in front of Radio Shack. All you need is a little creativity.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
What kind of oil filter does Wal-Mart use? What wouldn't surprise is if they used Fram...if they do, avoid them like the plague.

2000 Contour SE
X
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
X
Originally posted by Majisto:
What kind of oil filter does Wal-Mart use? What wouldn't surprise is if they used Fram...if they do, avoid them like the plague.

I would bet they would use an even lower quality filter than a fram, probably a fram knockoff!

Originally posted by Chickens:
Religion can't do much for ashholes (unless you are an alterboy)

98.5 Se w/SVT mods 98 E0 SVT~ sold
B
Learned patience the hard way
Learned patience the hard way
B
Well, we used to have our Escape's oil changed there as it was cheap and convenient for the wife to take it there while she had to do some shopping. Always requested the 5w20 motorcraft. The last couple of times we've gone to take it there, the wait has been 2+ frickin hours and now they told her they stopped carrying motorcraft. I finally told her to tell them to f' off and we took it to another quicky lube place. Guess it's back to changing it myself now.

FYI, they could change it cheaper than I could and she puts enough miles on that it needs changed on a regular basis.

Rick

Owner of 00 #1611 Silver (Totalled) 98.5 T-Red SVT #6180 Buckshot77@msn.com Misc 3L parts for sale
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
I feel stupid, but I get my oil changed at Walmart. $30 total w/ tax and everything for a Mobil 1 change. You can't beat wandering Walmart for 30 min instead of cutting your knuckles trying to get the damn oil filter out of the Zetec, for the sake of the extra $3 it costs to have them do it. I always check the oil and filter once it is done to make sure everything is in right before I drive it home. One time a tech actually got oil on my interior and Walmart gave a free Rug Doctor rental, so I got to steam clean my whole interior for free.

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard