Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
I seem to suck at searching lately guys and gals so I apologize. I've read every fuel pump related thread but still want an opinion or two. My SE has racked up 96k miles on it and starting to get a couple of problems. It has 69k on it 7 or months ago when I got it. It got 24cty and 27hwy when I got it and after some Shell V Power and cleaner I was managing 27mixed and 30-32hwy. Then all a sudden it went to crap. I've noticed it seems to have the "dirty sock" syndrome I'm guessing and will surge badly under a quarter of a tank in a tight turn. Fuel mileage has dropped down to a best of 29 on the highway.

I was thinking of tearing into the fuel pump this weekend and cleaning the screen/filter but thought it might be better just to wait a week or so and buy a new pump and replace it while I'm in there to save two trip to "underseatland".

Thoughts anyone ?

Was also wondering if anyone had a direct link to Bill Jenkins site to order a new one. NAPA carries one that is 241 bucks...salty aye.

Thanks all

2000 SE Sport 2.5L MTX Harvest Gold Stock except for K&N RU-3690
S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
Forgot to ask. I'm not clear on if I need to buy a new seal (can they be had by themselves without a whole new pump) if I opt to just trying a screen cleaning.

Thanks

A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
change your fuel filter before you do anything else, it sounds like its time to anyways.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
I put one on it at about 70k miles but another may not hurt aye.

Thanks

H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by SixxGunn:
I put one on it at about 70k miles but another may not hurt aye.

Thanks

Should be changed every 30k, not 70k

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
There is a very strong posibility that the only problem is the plugged filter screen disc. It is worth trying to remove it before doing anything else. You will probably need the fuel pump "o" ring gasket so you should have one when you tear into it.

No matter what else you do, change the external fuel filter.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
L
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
L
That is amazing fuel economy for that engine.

99 csvt amazon green/tan pre-98 sail panels pioneer sound 72K mi
S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
Thanks folks, I'll see if can locate an o-ring today.

Gas mileage is something I like especially lately

I'm thinking from the mileage I got for awhile I should be pulling 29mpg constantly back and forth to work which is mostly four lane but a little hilly.

I figure my mileage probably went south for some other reason but not sure what yet as I just put new APP764's and Autolite professional wires on. I was getting the 0420 code...or was it 0410.... anyway...misfire on bank two. No more CEL's in the last 4000k miles.

Thanks again for the ops.

S
S
SixxGunn,

A few months ago I started having problems with my '00 4-cylinder Contour (105k miles). It would be hard to start and sometimes when I was tarvelling along, it would run rough for a minute, then cut out. Most of the time I could get it to the side of the road, then start it once or twice and it would strat and be fine....for awhile. I tried plugs, wires, fuel filter and gas booster type products. I was torn between fuel pump and/or fuel regulator and I wanted to be sure because they're both pretty expensive. In these forums and elsewhere on the web, and part store sites, it seems that there is much conflicting information on what fuel pump is available.

To make a long story short, not knowing what what the problem was and what to do about fixing it when I found out, I decided to remove the fuel pump and at least take a look at it. Afterall, th car was running like crap anyway.

I'll say that I don't consider myself a mechanic but in my younger years, I didn't have any problems doing intermediate repairs. This time, the propect of spending about $600 forced my actions.

I took the backseat out and promptly was met with a hole that was too small to anything meaningful through. I used some boltcutters and modified the size of the hole.

Once that was done, the rest really wasn't too much of a problem. Call it dumb luck or my newfound mechanic ability but I took out the fuelpump unit, diassembled it, cleaned the screen, and put it all back together (with the old gasket). That was about 1,200 miles ago and I haven't had any problems since.

That's not saying that it won't start acting up again tomorrow but I must say that something good came out of it. The only problem I have now is that the arm that controls the fuel guage must've gotten stuck because I'm perpetually showing a full gas tank.

There is a section in these forums under "Mods" that show some excellent pictures of the fuel pump removal and installation. I found them to be very helpful and I thank whoever published them.

Good luck with your endeavor,

Rod

S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
Thanks Shakey

I have to find me a good fuel line disconnect tool from the looks of things. I had time to go to Advance but the one I got from there didn't seem to fit too well (could be my own stupidity tho...)

I'm thinking the fuel pump screen is for sure the problem from everything I've read.

I replaced the tires with a set of Wal Mart special BFGoodrich Excentia's. Quieter rider than the Firestone's that came off. They were worn out and worn bad thanks in part to my lack of rotating them. Gas mileage has climbed back up to 29 on my work commute and and managed 31.5 on a road trip this past weekend.

I have a noise in the left front (as best as I can tell) when turning left at 60+mph though. Pretty loud romping/groaning sound. I've read it should be the right front bearing bad when turning left but I'm suspicious of it.

Does anyone know if the wheel gets hot with a worn bearing ? I know a couple of the vehicles that I've owned got pretty warm but not sure if that would be the case with these cars.

Thanks all of ya.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard