Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Addicted CEG\'er
OP Offline
Addicted CEG\'er
R
For this how to, you must remember something:

I DID NOT remove a few items, etc, and some of my pictures may look like they were taken out of order (some parts may be on in one picture that I already had you take off,etc)

I did this how-to simply for the know-how of others.. I did not actually have to replace anything, and only tore the car down enough to SHOW how...
So.. if I say to remove something, go by what I said.. NOT BY WHAT YOU SEE that is contrary.. ("well.. HIS rotor is still on", or the like...)

Tools:
  • Jack/jack stand (one stand for each side you are replacing, obviously.)
  • Tire Iron, or other lug nut removal tool
  • 32mm Socket
  • breaker bar that will accept your 32mm socket
  • 15mm Socket
  • 10mm Socket
  • 18mm Socket
  • T-55 Torx socket
  • Torque Wrench capable of 200ft/lbs (can be borrowed from parts stores)
  • a replacement "Locking Spindle Nut/Axle Nut" (<$9.00 from the dealer)

Jack the car up, and place the car on a stand.
(warning:It is NOT advised to work on the car without properly securing the car on a jackstand, on level ground. Please work with caution in this manner.

Remove the four lug nuts and remove the rim from the car.

Using the 32mm Socket and the long breaker bar, remove the "locking spindle nut" (large nut that holds the hub to the axle itself. You will need a friend to help with this. Place the car in gear, and have him hold the brakes as hard as he can, so you can break this one free...

Remove the brake caliper, using the 15mm socket on the back-side of the caliper itself (there are two bolts, one above the other... (see image below)

Set the caliper aside, but support it so that you don't place any strain on the brake lines.. Using the rim of your car, underneath the car is a good idea, as it will support the caliper, and if the jackstand should fail it will also stop the car from falling (possibly hurting you, or damaging expensive pieces of the car..) See image:

Now that you have the caliper off (don't forget where you put the caliper retainer bolts!!) we need to undo a few more things:

Remove the rotor itself..(just slide it off, and set it aside, carefully.

Remove the wheel speed sensor using the 10mm socket, and then simply place something hard over the plastic "tab" that holds it to the hub and press to get it out.. You can see an image of the wheel speed sensor location in the "pinchbolt" picture, below, on the 18mm side... (just keep reading, once you get there, you will understand...)

So far, we have:
  • the axle nut off
  • the caliper off
  • the wheel speed sensor off
  • the tie-rod end..

What? we didn't take off the tie-rod end, yet? Then do it...

Use the same 15mm socket as the brake caliper to remove the tie-rod end. Once you remove that bolt, the tie-rod should slip free.. If it is slightly stuck, replace the bolt on to the threads, secure it a few turns only, then use the bolt as a stricking surface for a wrench, or small hammer to dislodge the tie-rod end... DO NOT strike the threads themselves, as you can strip or marr the threads, causing the bolt to not go back on, or become stuck on at a later time.. (see image)

You can also try this:
Once the bolt is out, place a pry bar UNDERNEATH the tie-rod end, and OVER the wheel hub, to pry the tie-rod out of its spot.. If needed, use a soft blow hammer to tap the tie rod out WHILE prying upwards, as shown below:

Now, time to remove the balljoint pinch bolt and we will be almost there!

Using the 18mm socket on one end, and the T-55 Torx bit on the other, secure the Torx head from moving, and apply your counter-clockwise motion to the 18mm head. (turning the Torx head will eventually strip it out, and you want to avoid that as much as possible...)
Below are a few images.. the first two showing each end, repectively, then the third showing the removal process

18mm pinchbolt side

T-55 Torx side

Removal

The ball-joint pinch bolt is out, and you are ready to go, huh? okay... get your long breaker bar, or some other equally sturdy long object, and place it through the control arms opening, and pry downwards causing the control arm to lower and the balljoint to pop out of the pinchbolt retaining hole. It will take about 2 or 2.5 inches of movement on the control arm to pop it out.

Now you have to take the axle out of the splined shaft of the hub. It will most likely be really stuck in there..In that case, take your spindle nut(Axle nut) and replace it on the axle a few turns.. Use your hammer, and hit on the nut to force the axle out the back of the hub. Turning the hub slightly makes for more movement room for the axle (not ALL the way, mind you..) having a friend to pull straight out on the hub itself (where the lug nuts screw on to..) while you hit the axle nut will help make even more room.

Now that you have the axle out, remove the small bolt on the back side of the hub assembly (if you need to see it, look back at the CALIPER REMOVAL picture, and you can see it at the very top, just to the right of the center of the picture.

use your small hammer(or old heavy wrench..:)) and bang the hub assembly downwards until it pops off of there.

DONE

Take your hub to the mechanic, etc, and have the old bearing pressed out, and a new one pressed in.. Installation is reverse of removal.

The axle nut is a one time use, so use a new nut when installing..
Torque the axle nut to 208 ft/lbs!!!

DO I NEED TO SAY THAT AGAIN? TORQUE THE AXLE NUT TO 208 FT/LBS!!!

Return your borrowed torque wrench(if you borrowed one) and have a nicer day without that annoying noise!

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by Ray:

Take your hub to the mechanic, etc, and have the old bearing pressed out, and a new one pressed in.. Installation is reverse of removal.

you forgot to mention a new hub cost 140$$$ and a bearing is another 50$ or so. I just did this myself. and the tranny shop charged me 250$ just to replace the hub and press in a new bearing.

98 csvt t-red.. sho-shop intake, b&m, fidanza, spec1 clutch, Torsen, DMD,optimized Y& TB, Brullen, rear strut bar,h&r's,17" konig traffik's. "I say what I mean and I do what i say"
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Very nice, lets hope I never need it .

99 CSVT Green/Tan # 84 of 2760 Built on Wednesday, September 30, 1998 15.376 @ 92.00 MPH Stock 75,000Km 96 Contour GL 2.5L V6 ATX 170,000Km
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Thanks Ray!!
I need to do this to the back soon. Now i'm not so nervous about it.

Quick question... because the ends are undone does the car need to be alighned after? I'm guessing no because the ends don't really change at all. So long as you(the installer) doesn't turn them at all.

Brian W.
--------------------
Black 1998 SE 5 speed - TOTALLED
L
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
L
You can also try this:
Once the bolt is out, place a pry bar UNDERNEATH the tie-rod end, and OVER the wheel hub, to pry the tie-rod out of its spot.. If needed, use a soft blow hammer to tap the tie rod out WHILE prying upwards, as shown below:

wrong

98 svt sil/blu 3.0 oval heads full P&P, msds headers,bat kit,2,1/2exhaust 30 inch glasspack and 2 spintech mufflers 14.78@94mph with my mechanical arm i can shift gears in less then a twentieth of a second for sale $7000
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by lowbudgetracing:
You can also try this:

wrong

Elaborate???

Nice work Ray... again, I hope I NEVEr have to read it again.

2006 Pontiac G6 3900SFI GTP Coupe CAI, Stainless Cat Back, Vector Tune, Strut Brace, Eibach Pro Kit, Custom Made Projector Headlights, 4300K, 20% Tint Former Owner- 2000 "Stryped" CSVT CEG Dragon Run- Oct 13-15
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by lowbudgetracing:
wrong

What the prying or the dead-blow / soft faced hammer part?

I use a dead-blow myself.
It sure saves tearing up the boot with a pickel fork. That is definitely not the tool to use when you want to re-use the tie rod.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
A
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
A
While we are on the subject... taking the axle out of the hub the right way: CV Boot service howto
Never use a hammer to separate the halfshaft from the front wheel hub

originally posted here

D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by alex_96GL:
While we are on the subject... taking the axle out of the hub the right way: CV Boot service howto
Never use a hammer to separate the halfshaft from the front wheel hub

originally posted here

...and that has to do with the TIE ROD in what way?

Your statement and link state "half shaft"

Read #8 in your instructions... (proof I even read it )

...I only state this as you responded to my post...

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
L
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
L
you never want to hit the threaded part of the tie rod with a hammer as it may damage the threads.

the best way to remove the tie rod with out damage is to remove the tie rod nut,and hit the side of the spindle where the tie rod go's through with a hammer and the tie rod will pop out with out damage.

98 svt sil/blu 3.0 oval heads full P&P, msds headers,bat kit,2,1/2exhaust 30 inch glasspack and 2 spintech mufflers 14.78@94mph with my mechanical arm i can shift gears in less then a twentieth of a second for sale $7000
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard