Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Z
ZACK860 Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Yea so i've had slight throttle hang for quite a while, it was pretty bad during the summer so i changed the IAC, and that helped a lot... up until recently i'd idle around 800 and the hang was very brief.... My VSS has been out of commission for a few months now so i brought the car in and my mechanic said we should try a ford IAC to make the throttle hang disapear, and he replaced the VSS.... Now the spedo works (which is awesome) but the car idles at 1500 and if u tap the gas it climbs up to 3000rpm for about 10 seconds then drops back to 1500 (shifting the thing is not fun with this condition) just wondering if anyone has any thoughts....

Also at idle u can hear an intermitent misfire if you listen really close..... So far this is what I've done to the car...

Changed plugs to autolite double platinum (this is when I started having the slight misfire problem (which seems like it might be getting worse)....

Changed the coil pack.... didn't help....

Cleaned out the TB.... didn't help....

CAR RAN FINE THIS MORNING EXCEPT FOR THE SLIGHT MISFIRE PROBLEM (WHICH IS MOST NOTICABLE IF U SLAM THE GAS AT LOW RPMS, IT KINDA SPUTTERS A BIT)...

Then my mechanic butchered the car today and now i got the worst case of throttle hang ever, all he did suposedly was try the new ford IAC, which according to him made it even worse, and then put mine back on (which I replaced last summer)....

I've reset the computer, started the car multiple times, tried running some fuel injector cleaner through it.....

I'm an idiot so if anybody's got any ideas or suggesstions i'd much appreciate it....

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Throttle hang is caused by a malfunctioning TPS (throttle positioning sensor). About 28 bucks from ford. Tps is located by the MAF, held in with 2 philips head screws. Go to ford, tell them EXACTLY what kind of tour you have, if it's an SVT.. STRESS the fact its an SVT. A TPS for a regualr tour will not work (the snesor actually works backwards with a normal tour, thus INCRESING the hang). Takes about 5 minutes to change. Just go buy it, look at teh piece to replace, look in your engine bay by the maf.. and you'll see it! It has a connector coming off of it.

Welcome aboard, don't dump that tub.

2006 Pontiac G6 3900SFI GTP Coupe CAI, Stainless Cat Back, Vector Tune, Strut Brace, Eibach Pro Kit, Custom Made Projector Headlights, 4300K, 20% Tint Former Owner- 2000 "Stryped" CSVT CEG Dragon Run- Oct 13-15
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Have a look at your plastic vacuum lines also. I had it so bad my RPMs would hold at 3K until I came to a COMPLETE stop. Turned out to be a cracked line and a $.50 6" rubber hose fixed it

Alex 00 T-Red/Tan SVTC #1964/2150 167 HP @6800 153 TQ @3000 Sold- 98 'Tour SE 24V 5-spd 149 HP @5900 148 LB FT @4300
Z
ZACK860 Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
which vaccum lines should i check besides the ones behind the IAC, I'm pretty sure my mechanic double and tripple checked all of em in that area since that's where he was working, he said helooked for a leak for over an hour and couldnt find one..... what else may have gotten cracked or pulled off in the proccess of cleaning TB, changing plugs/wires/coilpack.... like i said i'm an idiot and I don't know what I'm looking for.... any special way to check for leaks? i know my ears arent doin the trick....

thanks again

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by ZACK860:
Yea so i've had slight throttle hang for quite a while, it was pretty bad during the summer so i changed the IAC, and that helped a lot... up until recently i'd idle around 800 and the hang was very brief.... My VSS has been out of commission for a few months now so i brought the car in and my mechanic said we should try a ford IAC to make the throttle hang disapear, and he replaced the VSS.... Now the spedo works (which is awesome) but the car idles at 1500 and if u tap the gas it climbs up to 3000rpm for about 10 seconds then drops back to 1500 (shifting the thing is not fun with this condition) just wondering if anyone has any thoughts....

Also at idle u can hear an intermitent misfire if you listen really close..... So far this is what I've done to the car...

Changed plugs to autolite double platinum (this is when I started having the slight misfire problem (which seems like it might be getting worse)....

Changed the coil pack.... didn't help....

Cleaned out the TB.... didn't help....

CAR RAN FINE THIS MORNING EXCEPT FOR THE SLIGHT MISFIRE PROBLEM (WHICH IS MOST NOTICABLE IF U SLAM THE GAS AT LOW RPMS, IT KINDA SPUTTERS A BIT)...

Then my mechanic butchered the car today and now i got the worst case of throttle hang ever, all he did suposedly was try the new ford IAC, which according to him made it even worse, and then put mine back on (which I replaced last summer)....

I've reset the computer, started the car multiple times, tried running some fuel injector cleaner through it.....

I'm an idiot so if anybody's got any ideas or suggesstions i'd much appreciate it....

OMG, he posts!!! HAHA

See ya at work in a few. Lata

Tony 1998 SVT Contour (B/MB) #542 3L 1998 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1266 parts car 2000 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1533 3L swap to begin!
F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
I agree with the TPS, but along with the vaccum lines I would also check for a leak at the IAC gasket. It's a tight space to work in and a very thin gasket so it's possible that the mechanic did some damage to it during installation/removal/installation of the IAC valve.

Parting out 95-97 Contours/Mystiques. Contact me directly at ALFIGOLS@yahoo.com if you're looking for a particular part.
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Going solely on the fact that you chose double plats I assume you have the duratec. (You should really post year/make/model/engine/miles anytime you have a post about trouble.)

If you changed out the coilpack, there are vacuum lines there that are VERY brittle after age.. to the passenger side of the coil pack, behind the UIM.
the EGR lines are VERY brittle as they age.. basically any of the green plastic lines are all vacuum lines.. there is a vacuum line routing chart stuck inside the engine bay somewhere, as a sticker...

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

#1224336 03/25/05 01:46 AM
Z
ZACK860 Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Yea so i called in a favor and got brand new oem plugs/wires/TPS (which of course was the wrong one, in spite of my emphasizing it was for an S-V-T!!!) the plugs/wires fixed the misfire problem....

and the high idle was caused because the stop on the throttle (the piece connected to the butterfly in the TB) was bent, keeping it slightly more open then it should have been, i could tell because the butterfly wasn't closing at was obviously a wear mark... so i bent it back, butterfly closes at wear line nice and tight and i dont ever get a 3000rpm idle... cars purs nice at 800.... only thing is i still get the god damn throttle hang and i dont know what to do about it..... ive checked the IAC gasket, can't find any leaks anywhere, and my mechanic says the computer is zeroing out the IAC so theoretically it should be functioning properly....

Thanks for the input and if anybody has any ideas on the throttle hang post em, cuz ive tried everything even the fix in the FAQ....

PEACE

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard