Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Has anyone heard the stories of people getting kicked off their insureance or warranty for auto-xing? Can you tell me anything more about them? I'm not worried, just curious.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
I've heard of this becuase auto-xing is considered racing-- requiring the use of a special car to do so. Your normal insurance company does not insure racing vechiles becuase of the liability, aka... its a good chance of you crashing. INsurance companies don't want to have to pay to fix your car when you hit the wall, a nother person, or flip it. Best advice... what the insurance company doesn't know won't hurt them. If you wreck it while auto-x... I wouldn't make a claim on it.

2006 Pontiac G6 3900SFI GTP Coupe CAI, Stainless Cat Back, Vector Tune, Strut Brace, Eibach Pro Kit, Custom Made Projector Headlights, 4300K, 20% Tint Former Owner- 2000 "Stryped" CSVT CEG Dragon Run- Oct 13-15
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Insurance - I have not heard of any issues with that. I have also not seen anything happen that would cause a insurance claim at an AutoX (heard of a few accidents but not at an AutoX I have actually been at)

Warranty - From what I have heard this has been mostly an Mitsibishi EVO problem. People have brought their car in for warranty work and are told their powertrain warranty is void because they have been racing(AutoX) the car.

Beaten - 2003 MazdaSpeed Protege 29K <- broken hearted Daily/Weekend Beater - 1990 miata 138K - AutoX every weekend = Adult driven on weekends
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
hmm, ok. They were mentioning on the philly scca boards that this is the reason that we can't see model/make/year data in the results. The odd thing is, you can see who reg'd. Maybe they can't pin you with registration b/c you haven't actually done it, you just signed up to do it.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Check your policy. Most will include some definition of "speed contest" and detail specific consequences. They could argue that autocross is a speed contest, but the gist of the wording was to give them an out for dropping risky drivers like street racers and such.

Personally, I think dumping people is lame. I can understand not covering damage incurred during an autocross, but marking me as "risky" 100% of the time because of something I do every so often, in a controlled environment, that makes me a better driver on the street (more likely to avoid an accident...)--I don't get it.

I've heard that State Farm is pretty flexible, but it probably depends on the agent. If the agent is local and enjoys "racing" or autocrossing himself, he's probably going to work with you. When your "file a claim" number is a 1-800 connection to India, you're going to talk to some clueless goober who's looking for an out.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C

I dont really know how many of you insure your Contours, but I really thought most Contours, even the SVT's were not even worth Fully insuring...

I have always run off of Liability only (not a big deal to insurance...I wreck it Im screwed unless I slammed into someone else)

My resale value is 4300.00 Thats not worth it to fully insure...

E0 #4384 of 6535 Born Jan. 9 1998 My SVT from the ashes 147,466 miles, purchased Nov. 2002 @ 76,559 miles
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by CSVT985:

I dont really know how many of you insure your Contours, but I really thought most Contours, even the SVT's were not even worth Fully insuring...

I have always run off of Liability only (not a big deal to insurance...I wreck it Im screwed unless I slammed into someone else)

That's a very good point. I think my car is worth about $2k. Wouldn't take much to total it, and I wouldn't get much, either.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by CSVT985:

well... *some* of us still have what we like to call..."loan-rapage"... aka, we still have a lien holder.

2006 Pontiac G6 3900SFI GTP Coupe CAI, Stainless Cat Back, Vector Tune, Strut Brace, Eibach Pro Kit, Custom Made Projector Headlights, 4300K, 20% Tint Former Owner- 2000 "Stryped" CSVT CEG Dragon Run- Oct 13-15
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
yup yup, those damn lien holders.

Plus I got 9500 for my last SVT

Alex '99 SVT Contour -=|WANTED: Vortech, working or not |=-

Moderated by  Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard