Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
There is a couple of ways I have loosened the wheels up. First is wack the back of the wheel. Next, loosen the lug nuts a little and drop the jack fast. I have loosened the wheels and drove the car to loosen them up. You don't want to be driving too far.

Rich S

1998 SVT 1995 Contour 2.5 MTX 215K miles Son's car(dead and buried) 1997 Contour 2.0 ATX 1998 Contour 2.5 ATX 2004 Tauras Wagon 3.0 Duratec
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Well I had another go at it today. Was changing the oil, and decided to try to get the wheels off so I could rotate the tires while I was at it.

Banged on 'em with an assortment of hammers, lots of wd40, and still nothing. Even dropped the car and rolled it back and forth, stil nothing.
So then I got the torch and heated and banged some more and they finally came loose. I really had to work and it though.
Then I steel brushed and sanded and put axel grease on everything, hopefully it won't stick again. Thanks for all the help guys!!

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by todras:
Originally posted by Matt R:
Then put anti-seeze on the lugs after you get it back, or have the garage do it for you.

Anti on the lug nuts?!!!!!!!!! HELL NO!!!!!

WHY? There is nothing wrong with lock seize on lug nuts.

06 GMC Sierra 2500HD Dmax/ally 06 Pontiac G6 GT 05 CRF250R FOR SALE 06 KX65 with riding gear $2700 obo
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
I changed teh Serp belt on Rawburts CSVT today and his wheel was stuck on like a mofo. We even tried jacking the car up, dropping it slightly on the ground to hopefully pop the thing off... which didn't work. After beating it senseless with a rubber coated sledge and soaking it with penetrating lube, the damn thing wabbled off. It' amazes me how these wheels corode on. Deffeintly put some anti seize on the back face of the rims before re bolting it. Take a wire brush to it, also to remove the excess junk. I've heard that you can also add patroleum jelly to the hub area to prevent this.

2006 Pontiac G6 3900SFI GTP Coupe CAI, Stainless Cat Back, Vector Tune, Strut Brace, Eibach Pro Kit, Custom Made Projector Headlights, 4300K, 20% Tint Former Owner- 2000 "Stryped" CSVT CEG Dragon Run- Oct 13-15
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Thinkmoto:
Then put anti-seeze on the lugs after you get it back, or have the garage do it for you.

The problem isn't about getting the lugs off, tehy come off fine. The lug nuts don't need to be "locked" on. They are snug enough by hand. Putting anti-seeze on them will be pretty much useless in these situtation. Anit seize could acutally hinder the lugs from being torqued enough. (It says it on the tube of anti sieze I have right here. )

2006 Pontiac G6 3900SFI GTP Coupe CAI, Stainless Cat Back, Vector Tune, Strut Brace, Eibach Pro Kit, Custom Made Projector Headlights, 4300K, 20% Tint Former Owner- 2000 "Stryped" CSVT CEG Dragon Run- Oct 13-15
T
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by LilStripedRocket:
Originally posted by Thinkmoto:

The problem isn't about getting the lugs off, tehy come off fine. The lug nuts don't need to be "locked" on. They are snug enough by hand. Putting anti-seeze on them will be pretty much useless in these situtation. Anit seize could acutally hinder the lugs from being torqued enough. (It says it on the tube of anti sieze I have right here. )

I would not use that stuff on the wheel lugs. C'mon guys have some since. What happens if they wiggle off one day while driving down the road? Just clean them and put them back on. Just be sure to torque them tight, but don't over do it a the same time. I've got enough man power to strip and bust the lugs. So I don't normally have a problem getting them off. All you will see is me pushing the car up and down like a toy until it pops off. All those years in the gym were good for something I guess? LOL

*OffTopic* having muscle has its problems. Just last week I did some digging and removed a tree stump by hand with saw and shovel. Feeling manly I dragged the stump to the corner of the road for the trash guys to pick up. Then on Wed my wife said, "they tried to pick it up but it was too heavy." So I said, "that's fine all just stick it in the trashcan." So I picked it up and walked to the backyard and by hand cut it in half with a saw. Then I got this idea to make art out of it and one thing leads to another. It's now a cool looking bench stool in the backyard waiting for none rainy day to stain and paint. The other half is in the trash.

B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
i woulda gotten under teh car and started kicking it with both feet

1997 30th Anniversary SS,Jethotts/ORY/GMMG, 160thermo, ,TB bypass, 1LE intake elbow, BMR STB, 32mmswaybar..21mm rear,BMR LCAs, PR,SFCs,TA,LT4 KM,255lph, shift kit
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Anit-seeze = anti-lock

Anti-lock= anti-fuggin wheel is gonna come loose.

lol

Previous Owner of: 1998 CSVT Black # 2923/6535 Born: 08/12/97 http://community.webshots.com/user/svtcontoursvt
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by bobbyd:
i woulda gotten under teh car and started kicking it with both feet

Everyone vote him for smartest CEG'er.

That stool thing sounds cool, Tronx. I did that a couple years ago with a giant useless stump that the weak garbage men couldn't pick up. Mine probably looks pretty crappy comapred to yours, since I carved it up with a craftsman chain saw in about 10 minutes.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I changed teh Serp belt on Rawburts CSVT today and his wheel was stuck on like a mofo. We even tried jacking the car up, dropping it slightly on the ground to hopefully pop the thing off... which didn't work. After beating it senseless with a rubber coated sledge and soaking it with penetrating lube, the damn thing wabbled off. It' amazes me how these wheels corode on. Deffeintly put some anti seize on the back face of the rims before re bolting it. Take a wire brush to it, also to remove the excess junk. I've heard that you can also add patroleum jelly to the hub area to prevent this.

LMFAO, that sucked! I did not think it was coming off!! BTW did i tell you thanks yet?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard