Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
So I go to rotate my tires today, jack it up and remove lug nuts, and the wheels won't come off!
Ok, annoying, but I get the acetalene torch and heat it up and pound and pry and only manage to get one off.

I ended up giving up because of lack of time primarily, but is it normal to not be able to get the wheels off?

It seems ridiculous to me! I didn't wanna pound too hard for fear of screwing something up, but how the heck do I get the wheels off?

-Peter
'98 zetec
121,xxx

G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
We were trying to get the stock wheels off an SVT to get the summer wheels on, and they wouldn't come off either. We pounded on the stockies with a mallet as hard as we could without damaging anything, and soaked behind the wheel in WD-40. Then we got an idea of lowering the jack, just until the tire touched the pavement...it WORKED!! I guess it just needed 3,000lbs of pressure!

Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
I had that problem but hit it from behind with a rubber mallet and it eventually came off. I always coat the surface with anti-seize compound to prevent it from happening in the future.

M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Have a garage do it for you, much easier with air tools. Then put anti-seeze on the lugs after you get it back, or have the garage do it for you.

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
I heard that if you barely loosen that lug nuts and roll the car back and foward that will help. As getlucky151 said, 3000# of force will do a lot of work for you.

1998 Contour SE V6 MTX-75 Mostly Stock 1986 Ranger V6 4X4, the only mod: weight reduction by rust.
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Yep. I couldn't get mine, so I finally put the nuts on finger tight, lowered the car, let it roll, and hit the brakes. broke that rust pretty easily!

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
two by four and an 8 lb sledge

Alex '99 SVT Contour -=|WANTED: Vortech, working or not |=-
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
ur best bet would be spray alot of rust remover on it and hit it with a rubber mallet so u dont damnage anything

or u could try kicking it lol

1997 30th Anniversary SS,Jethotts/ORY/GMMG, 160thermo, ,TB bypass, 1LE intake elbow, BMR STB, 32mmswaybar..21mm rear,BMR LCAs, PR,SFCs,TA,LT4 KM,255lph, shift kit
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by bobbyd:
ur best bet would be spray alot of rust remover on it and hit it with a rubber mallet so u dont damnage anything

or u could try kicking it lol

I soaked mine with rust remover, and kicked until I could kick no more. Just loosen the lug nuts and then let the car break it free. It'll save you a lot of time I wasted.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by Matt R:
Have a garage do it for you, much easier with air tools. Then put anti-seeze on the lugs after you get it back, or have the garage do it for you.

NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

NEVER, EVER, EVER let any mechanic near your wheels with an air wrench!!!! Those things will warp your wheels, cross thread your lug nuts & warp your rotors faster than anything I can think of!! ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS hand tighten the lug nuts! ALWAYS!!!

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard