Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Well, there have been a lot of posts along these lines lately, so I thought I'd start a poll to see how people feel about Contour longevity and economics.

How long are you going to keep your Contour?
As long as I can, no matter what happens. I love this car!
Until it doesn't make financial sense to fix it. If I can get a better car for less than the repair bill, it's totaled as far as I'm concerned.
Only until I can afford to buy something newer. I like it, but it's too old/beat up/slow/ugly/high-mileage for me to put my time and money into anymore.
I'm getting rid of it ASAP. I want something better and I want it now!

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
100K bc of all the stuff I hear going wrong after 100K

1998.5 SVT contour #5979 3L 1995 Mercury Mystique 2.5L auto, all ghetto fo sho
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
I'm in the second category. I love this car, but I realize that there are better options out there. Although, I have put a lot of time into getting this car just the way I like it, so I would tend to fix it vs. getting a new car if the costs were comparable. Twice I've swapped engines, and both times I drove a few cars that were about the same cost as the repair bill. I found that it's hard to find a car that fits my needs as well as the contour for near the right money. Right now, I could sell it for about $2k, but I would pay $3k for it, just because that's how much I would have to spend to get a replacement that I would be as happy with as I am with this.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Originally posted by starjammir:
100K bc of all the stuff I hear going wrong after 100K

not nec. true..........i put more money into repairs when it had 50k on it compared to over 100k...before...wp,alt,vac hoses,bearing x2,idler pulley,window regulator,springs x2,...could be more,since 100k...altenator,bearing...thats it,and the bearing prob had more to do with improper lowering of the car.......i'll keep mine until the strut towers rust out

"Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but STUPID lasts forever."-Aristophanes. --93 pgt,headers,intake,borla=14.9 1/4mile
L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
Option 1 is not an option! This car is a rare collectors item to me, whether it runs or not, which BTW, mine runs very healthy . No flaming comments about the TC race ! I said "healthy", not fast!

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
This is an extremely difficult question for me. (I sometimes hope someone will crash into me and total the car out, would make it so much easier ... bad huh?) I naturally want to keep this car forever, since I've seen so many people get rid of their first car and regret it for the rest of their lives, but at the same time I want an SVT and a BMW later on ... and it doesn't make sense to have three cars for one person.

I guess I'm going to keep it while I can afford to fix it - regardless whether the repairs are too costly for the value of the car. This means that if the transmission decides to die while I'm still in school, I'll probably end up getting rid of it, but if it needs a new engine and transmission fifteen years from now and I'm making 80K ( hope ), then I will have them repaired. Or something like that.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I am in none of those categories. I had my Tour until this past Tuesday when we had to get a bigger vehicle because of our growing family. We have a 2004 Ford Freestar now.

2004 Ford Freestar V6 Boogity Boogity Boogity, Let's go racin Boys!
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
I won't ditch my tour till hell freezes over!

Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by getlucky151:
I won't ditch my tour till hell freezes over!

Yep, been par for the course for me. Last Merc I had near 200k miles on it. I'll keep Ruby till she dies, then get something else and probably keep the 'Tour as a project car. V-8 RWD anybody??

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
never...it would be pointless for me too.

Jim Hahn 1996 T-Red Contour SE Reborn 4/6/04 3.0L swap and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit 364 whp, 410 wtq @ 4,700 rpm
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard