Print Thread
#1215232 03/14/05 11:17 PM
P
phlop Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
P
Pissed off, I opened up my amp today to see if I coudl see anything... then this wierd smell of burning electronics came from it... (reminded me of when I used to throw electronics in the fire when I was a kid)... anyways... there was no smoke, and no smell when it happened, so I didnt think it was blown...

What should I be looking for inside?

1996 Contour LX (With 2.5L V6 Duratech) Check Out NWC (Northwest Contour) Free Image Hosting and Gallaries http://nwc.phlop.com My 96 Tour's Website http://www.phlop.com
B
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
B
I work at the new best buy in eugene as an installer if you brought it there wednesday id be able to look at it for ya. What you are looking for is anything out of the ordinary (burn marks, melted circuits, punctured diodes, etc.) When mine fried it didnt smoke much then i opened up the back and it was smokin like crazy.

*Don't put a price on a good time*
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by BKittsSVT:
I work at the new best buy in eugene as an installer if you brought it there wednesday id be able to look at it for ya. What you are looking for is anything out of the ordinary (burn marks, melted circuits, punctured diodes, etc.) When mine fried it didnt smoke much then i opened up the back and it was smokin like crazy.

i thought best buy was in springfield

98 contour svt #6473 of 6535
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Springfield, Eugene...what's the difference?

'98 SVT Contour, in at least 639 pieces 4 Speed MTX...synchro and shift fork replacement in progress
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by shotwell:
Springfield, Eugene...what's the difference?

one way streets?

98 contour svt #6473 of 6535
B
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
B
They are just on different sides of the highway, I live in eugene but the best buy is considered in springfield

*Don't put a price on a good time*
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by phlop:
Pissed off, I opened up my amp today to see if I coudl see anything... then this wierd smell of burning electronics came from it... (reminded me of when I used to throw electronics in the fire when I was a kid)... anyways... there was no smoke, and no smell when it happened, so I didnt think it was blown...

What should I be looking for inside?

Look for darkened areas on the circuit board that have gotten hot, and for darkened/blackened/otherwise fried-looking components as others have said.

If you get a new amp and aren't going to fix the fried one, don't throw it away -- I might give you a few bucks for it at a meet.

Marty

98 SVT, Black, No. 786, May 7, 1997. K&N, MSDS, Xcal2, Tint, Antennas, Big Gulp(R)-Sized Cupholder, Rear Dome Lt., Koni/Eibach, DMD, Pre-98 Sails, Brake Cooling Deflectors, Sidemarkers, Etc. 147K+ Miles "Get the Door - It's GrooveNerd!"

Moderated by  kerrychin_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard