Next Thread
Print Thread
#1214449 03/14/05 03:50 AM
L
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
L
Hey all, just a quick question here. My check engine light has been coming on and off every now and then. My mechanic says that it is becuase of 1 of 2 oxygen sensors that have gone bad and to recalibrate my ECU. but FOrd says the ECU for the exhaust(separate then the main ECU) is whats wrong and needs to be replaced and a new catylitic converter is needed. Now bewteen what my mechanic said and what ford said is a big $$$$ difference, so i thought i would ask you guys 1st and what your opinions on it are. I could really use the help, im tryin to sell the SVT and need this gone!

Also i have a cut resonator, 2 40 series original flowmasters and thats it. Runnin to rich?

Thanks!

Contour is SOLD 97 GST eclipse is SOLD 2002 S2K...
#1214450 03/14/05 12:31 PM
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Do you know what the code numbers that they were reading are? There's only one ECU, so I don't know what the dude at Ford was saying about there being a separate one for the exhaust. There are 4 oxygen sensors, though - one before each pre-cat, and one after each pre-cat. Also, if just the sensor is bad, there should be no need to recalibrate the ECU, unless there is a recall or something on it from Ford. Once the sensor is replaced, it should be good to go again, with possibly doing a quick fuse-pull reset for the computer.

My check engine light used to be intermittent too, but now it's just on all the time. I had it read for free at Autozone, and it was a code for one of the rear oxygen sensors being slow to respond. I still need to replace it...

Anyway, if you can get the actual code numbers they are reading, that will help us figure out what's going on, rather than just what they are saying is happening. I think there's a list of all of the codes on the site here that you can use to look up yours when you find out what they are.

Marty

98 SVT, Black, No. 786, May 7, 1997. K&N, MSDS, Xcal2, Tint, Antennas, Big Gulp(R)-Sized Cupholder, Rear Dome Lt., Koni/Eibach, DMD, Pre-98 Sails, Brake Cooling Deflectors, Sidemarkers, Etc. 147K+ Miles "Get the Door - It's GrooveNerd!"
#1214451 03/14/05 02:37 PM
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
I had the CEL come on about a month ago and Autozone said it was a P0420 which is the precats. Im in the process of saving for some MSDS headers. So no more precat problems.
-tropictour

2000 Contour SVT Tropic Green SHO Shop CAI Bassani 1999 Contour SE BAT Kit
#1214452 03/15/05 09:42 PM
L
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
L
Thanks Marty, yea my mechanic said either way a couple of oxygen sensors need to be replaced, so maybe that and the fuse thing will do it, but if not i will get thoes codes from my mechanic and let you guys know, thanks for the help, just that bit of input has helped me out greatly!

Hey we need a meet soon! Look at all this SUN!!!

Contour is SOLD 97 GST eclipse is SOLD 2002 S2K...
#1214453 03/17/05 11:30 AM
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Yeah, up until today the weather's been incredible! We do need to have a meet down this way soon.

Marty

98 SVT, Black, No. 786, May 7, 1997. K&N, MSDS, Xcal2, Tint, Antennas, Big Gulp(R)-Sized Cupholder, Rear Dome Lt., Koni/Eibach, DMD, Pre-98 Sails, Brake Cooling Deflectors, Sidemarkers, Etc. 147K+ Miles "Get the Door - It's GrooveNerd!"

Moderated by  kerrychin_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard