Holy crap! I can't believe you don't get this! Misalignment is possible because the tapered bolts aren't sufficient to center the wheel! There is an opposing force from the wheel/hub friction, and one from the weight of the wheel.

Also, this is not an expensive wheel we are talking about. My cheap Motegis don't have tapers that match the nuts very well. Certainly, if the tapers don't line up, you could get it tight without being centered.

Your idea of the nuts doing the centering would work if

a) there was no friction between the hub and wheel until they were completely engaged

b) there was no friction between the nut and wheel, and the tapers were cut perfectly.

These conditions do not exist. Stazi is pissed, and so am I, because I know the theoretical physics, he knows the real-world parts and how it plays out in this case, and together we have a very good understanding of why this kid should get hubcentric rings. You have a half-@$$ed understanding of what is going on, a little personal experience that doesn't directly relate, and an extremely stubborn personality.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results