Page 20 of 27 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 26 27
S
Cool Toe Chris
Cool Toe Chris
S
Originally posted by ryanblacksvt:
Originally posted by amarv12:
Originally posted by ryanblacksvt:
do you really need a 3rd brake light. i unplugged mine and vinyl'd the red reflector over black

That's pretty stupid, must be nice for the people that drive behind you.

And yes it is a law in the U.S.A., mandatory CHMSL:

This is all the same for cars.

ok first off its not illegal, i check with my bro-in-law first before doing anything like that (yeah he is a cop) and as long as your brake lights work no other lights are required, what about cars without 3rd brake lights, do they have to go buy one and wire it up,,,,,NO they dont.

AFAIK, any car after 1984 *has* to have a 3rd brake light. I know in NJ the car will automatically fail inspection for a burnt out or missing third brake lamp. So, as far as I am concerned, it is law, for post-84 cars.

Chris NJ 98.5 SVT Silver Frost
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
not in georgia, there isnt even a visual inspection and shoot in the county i am in there isnt any emmisions. which i love, but no it must go state by state cause that law is not in georgia

T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Shaggy is correct. Center high-mounted lights need to be seen in order to comply with the federally mandated light laws that went into effect in '86. Something I didn't think about till I read this. That trunk has to have a 3rd brake light incorporated. I don't know where your brother is a cop but he needs to read up on the federal law.

As of the 1986 model year, all new cars sold in the United States were required to have an installed rear window brakelight, or "Third Brake Light."

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
well i blacked mine out and he is a cop in a rather large county here in georgia and he checked with his cheif before telling me cause he didnt wanna steer me wrong and they said no you dont have to have one

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
That trunk would look like hotness on a black SVT!... Like mine for instance.

99 Black SVT -3L Hybrid w/.5mm overbore, Spec clutch/flywheel, MSDS, BAT intake, K&N open, 17'Konig Tantrums, DMD, Opt. TB & Y, Powerslots, Bassani w/ magnaflow res. 96 SE MTX- "The War Wagon" "I'm in love with my car..." -Queen
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
My 1990 jeep wrangler doesn't have a 3rd brake light and never did. Never had an issue with it at inspection.

'99 CSVT 152k miles '95 YJ www.VFXCustom.com PM me with anything you need done in Vinyl.
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
My car dont have no 3rd brake light. It does have a spoiler with a light on it.

1999 Ford Contour 2.5V6 5peed Se Sport. Aim djperico Looking for svt front and rear bumpers.
S
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by parkedcar:
My 1990 jeep wrangler doesn't have a 3rd brake light and never did. Never had an issue with it at inspection.

my pop's 89 truck didnt either. i was really into mini-trucks back then and iirc trucks didnt get the brake light law until 92 or 93 (somewhere right around there.). i remeber cuz all my friends with Toyotas were pissed off that they started coming with them and everyone was shaving them. now at least, the manufacturer's integrate them better into the sheet metal instead of just slapping it on the cab.

yes, it is a federal law, just like airbags. i think that was in 92 or 93 also that manufacturers were required to put airbags in the steering wheels. you can get a nice fat ticket if you get caught having removed yours. ive known people to get this when they pulled their airbagged wheel to put in a Momo or Grant etc..

some cars have the 3rd brake light in the wing from the factory. that is how you can tell (on some cars anyways) that it was a factory installed wing and not a dealer job. some manufacturers dont do this though. sometimes you'll see a 3rd brake light AND a wing with a light, aftermarket! anyways, if you remove your wing with brake light in it, youre supposed to add a 3rd brake light. i know in CA, the only coppers likely to catch this are the highway patrol. they know the vehicle code much better than the local fuzz.

btw, the trunk looks meh. too much lip for my tastes.
my friend is having a custom cowl hood made for the 3rd gen sho at a cf shop out here. i dont think its this shop. if not, and they do a good job on his hood, i may talk to him about doing a group buy on a stock cf trunk for us. that way we'll have two options. it appears the pre98 is the most popular but i would do a poll, if and when it gets to that.

Originally posted by Tourgasm:
Sometimes you can mess up a word so bad that spell check doens't know what the hell you're talking about.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
my car hasn't had a third brake light since i swapped for a spoiler-less lid(6 month), no trouble with the police, and my reflector is painted as well.

pole

99 SE V6\5spd - 156 HP\157 TQ 15.166-90.84 Totaled 02/12/06 99 SVT # 1571 - 175 HP\153 TQ 14.999-91.88 Born 3/24/99 Reborn 3/18/06 Pietenpol Racing Technologies project vehicle 90 Festiva L 5spd, Blue(not for long), 103k
L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
I don't think its going to be an issue, sheesh. Now back on topic. So who has ordered?

'99 Silver svt For sale 19" Axis Neo wheels 3.0 parts, pre-98 trunk, Check classifieds bp.powell@comcast.net
Page 20 of 27 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 26 27

Moderated by  1314_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard