Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
I had a 2000 cougar that I autocrossed right when i got it. I didn't know to add more oil to the duratec.... and autocrossed 1 day each month for 3 years. I've also autocrossed my contour every month for a little more than 2 years. I read to add more oil a few months after getting my contour (and joining ceg)... and have been running +1 qt ever since. Even though I never had any issues over the last 5 years... I feel much better now since reading about the starvation issues... and was thankful i didn't kill my cougar since it was leased... and i beat the shi!t out of it.

There was a contour guy who was at the autocrosses when i had a cougar. He eventually went on to NASA/ASRA (roadcourse)... a couple months later, he was back at the autocrosses with a different car, because he killed his motor on a long sweeper.

morbid 2000 Contour SVT (black)
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
I run my v6 cougar with the "upgraded" oil pan and AMSOIL 0W-30 synthetic oil. This oil has more "hang" than standard. Meaning that there is more lubricant up on vital engine points longer.. It doesn't find its way back into the pan near as fast as dino oil.

If you use synthetic oil (and you should),be careful as this "hang" probity can cause you to really overfill. Measure the volume of oil you add, not by looking at what is shown on the oil dip stick..

- Rich LBC Performance Motorsports Group/AMSOIL '98 Cougar V6 ATX aka 'Candy Striper' Photos
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
I use Mobil 1 5w-30, and I noticed it takes a long time to drain after running. About 30 min after engine shutoff it reaches its max point at the first stroke of the "M" in Max. This is after an oil change where I put in 6 qts, and then just added 1/2 qt.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard