Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Does anybody do this? I shouldn't say none, I run a full 6qts. I would hate to blow an engine auto-xing since this is my commuter car. I guess what I'm looking for is

a) anybody running auto-x with no precautions, and their views/results
b) anybody running with that can show me it helps and I need it
c) anybody who has blown an engine due to oil starvation, and the details.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Run 7 qt when you Auto-X, then when $ allows, get an Accusump.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
7 qts is a lot, it won't damage anything? I read mixed reviews on doing that. Do you actually auto-x with 7?

Off to search again...

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
W
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
W
Originally posted by 95Sleeper:
a) anybody running auto-x with no precautions, and their views/results.

Like you, the only precaution I take is run with full 6 qts Mobil 1. I ran 7 events last year and 1 so far this year. No problems... yet (crossed fingers). That's not to say I won't spin a bearing at the next event. Someone posted on this forum (I think it was Demon) that you shouldn't be too concerned about Autoxing. The speeds / forces in an AutoX are generally not high enough to cause oil starvation, unless the course has some really high speed right hand sweepers. That's not to say I wouldn't put in an Accusump if I could afford it.

Roger - "Old Guy" "Every car is a sports car sometime." 1999 White SE Sport V6 MTX 2005 Toyota Sienna - 8 passenger
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Okay, that makes me feel better. I run 6 and might push it a little more for this season. I want to run as often as I can buy tires, so I'll be putting my car though its paces, but hopefully no long, tight right-handers. I guess with 6 or 6.5 qts it would still have to be a long turn, and most courses change direction a lot.

B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by 95Sleeper:
I guess with 6 or 6.5 qts it would still have to be a long turn, and most courses change direction a lot.

yup,sweeping right turns,I run 6.5 qts all the time.

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by BEVAN//3L:
... I run 6.5 qts all the time.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I've been worried about this lately, too, but that's a good point.

AutoX has some high G turns, but most of them are short. On the "sweepers" I can only go so fast before I start to push.

Well, do the coursewalk and if there's a turn that scares you, hold up a bit or let the revs drop.

I've been running .5 over on the oil, but last time I filled, I checked a week later and added another .5, so I'm at 6.5 now. (My 96 owner's manual specs 5.5 quarts.) I'm thinking I can go higher, based on some of Demon's comments. (He put a quantity of oil in an oil pan and it was still below the level of the windage tray, or baffle, or some such, and there's also the point that while the engine is running, there may be 3 quarts or so up in the heads, so you're not going to get oil cavitation or foaming from contact with the crank.)

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Thanks for the feedback. I got the same answer from Demon in PMs, so 6.5qts it is. This weekend I'll add the oil when I put on my stickies and do a spring tune-up. Then it's off to the races! March 19th at Ripken in MD, for anyone who doesn't read the local forums.

W
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
W

That's what I did and never sweated it at all. If you're running good oil, you will always have good lubrication at autocross type G-loads.

Whirling dervish of FFOG.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard