Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
bohdi- That's all understandable but there are SO MANY cheap inexpensive and even free mods that will do wonders for a tour! knauberize, LED switches... Just the little things like this do so much... and i highly doubt that they will make or break a home purchase...

B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by RawBurt:
knauberize, LED switches...

I live in an apartment and thus my car sits in a parking lot, anything that could save a door ding gets the nod from me.

I'm trying to stick to the philosophy of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I'm not trying to re-engineer this car. I've learned both from observation and personal experience, the more one tinkers with a car, the more likely it is to become problematic further down the road and arguably eliminating the practicality of it.

Granted there are certain, easy and inexpensive 'mods' that I certainly wouldn't mind having (express down pass. and rear windows, express open sunroof, etc...), but I'm just not interested enough to go through the trouble.

98 C-SVT
M
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by bohdi:
I've learned both from observation and personal experience, the more one tinkers with a car, the more likely it is to become problematic further down the road and arguably eliminating the practicality of it.

exactly! i usually end up modifying something to such a degree that it becomes more of a pain in the ass than enjoyable. then i get sick of it and sell it for 1/10th of what i have into it. then i miss it a couple years later. it's a viscious cycle.

02 Mustang GT... Tuned by Nelsons. Low 12's, anyone? .....______ ___|______\_____ |/-\_________/-\_| .\_/...............\_/
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Originally posted by TheGreatOne:
as long as i have money to spend on the car, then i will.

Started out with what I thought was a more than sufficient budget for my project but the cash is getting burned up pretty quick. And with this being the biggest mechanical job I've ever done I've had to shell out for tools too. Its a good thing the wife really enjoys this car or else overspending on our "car money" would be harder to get away with.

1998.5 SVT I'm working on it. WTB 2.0L Contique.
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
I told myself that once it is lowered and I have wheels on there and clean up the appearance (clear corners, sail panels, door ding guards, etc), that I would hold off on anything until it is out of warranty or something becomes necessary. I've stuck to it quite well. I will need struts soon, and that will be the first serious 'mod' in two years. The car is under warranty until 90k, so it'll be interesting to see what happens when I get there. The mod bug was replaced by the keep-it-clean and running bug, which has satisfied me sufficiently.

B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Short answer, I was done the day I bought it.

I totally agree. I was "done" with my car when I took the keys from the salesman. Never had any desire to change anything on the car. There are so many other things in life that are much more important to me and are priority items for my money. My car is simply an applicance to get to work. Right now, I'm saving every extra dollar I have towards early retirement. If and when I do get back into playing with cars, it will be something fun and classic, from the '60's or earlier.

-Mark- '99 Mystique LS, totally original (including the original water pump and the premium stereo)! Bought new in December 1998 for $21,000. 208,000 miles
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I still need to do suspension, redo the interior, new bodykit, new paint....then maybe ill call it done.

Jim Hahn 1996 T-Red Contour SE Reborn 4/6/04 3.0L swap and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit 364 whp, 410 wtq @ 4,700 rpm
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Originally posted by beyondloadedSE:
I still need to do suspension, redo the interior, new bodykit, new paint....then maybe ill call it done.

So just the small $$$ mods right?

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
yeah, ill have to see if i can scrounge up some money in between the couch cussions.

Jim Hahn 1996 T-Red Contour SE Reborn 4/6/04 3.0L swap and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit 364 whp, 410 wtq @ 4,700 rpm
A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by RawBurt:
knauberize, LED switches...

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

What about Recalls, regular maitenence, upgrades to prevent expensive fixes?

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard