OP Offline
CEG\'er
P
HOW TO: Remove Door Panels

Car Model Used: 1996 Tour LX
Tools Needed:
  • Star Screwdriver
  • Utility Knife
  • Heat Source (blow dryer / heat gun)(Optional)
Estimated Time: 10 Mins per Door
Estimated Cost: $Free

Introduction
This mod is a spin off of my HOW-TO: Install LED's in Door Handles *PICS*. I thought that some people would want to know this for speaker installs and what not.

Preparation
There isnt much preperation for this one. You will need a heat gun or blow dryer if you wish to re-stick the foam to the door.

Step 1: Removing the Door Panels
It�s a good idea to do this one door at a time, and keep track of which screws come out of which hole. There are a total of 10 (I think) screws to be removed in order to remove the door panel. The location of these screws is as follows.
  • Along the outside of the door panel there are 2 by the latch (Picture), 2 underneath (Picture), and 1 near the hinge (Picture).
  • Inside the door handle, remove the round plastic cover, and remove the screw behind (Picture).
  • By the rear view mirror, remove the small round cover, and the screw behind it (Picture). Remove the triangle plastic piece as well.
  • There is a screw near the storage compartment on the door (Picture).
  • There are 2 screws in the door bar. You need to remove the plastic cover with a kitchen knife or similar to get at them (Picture). After that, pull the entire bar out.

Now that we have all of the screws out, we need to remove the door lock and window panel off of the door. To do this, you need to gently pry the panel back, keeping in mind that it needs to clear the door handle, and there is a small clipping piece that holds it together by the window buttons. After you pull this panel out, disconnect the wire clusters for the power locks and windows (Picture). Now, we need to remove the actual panel. To do this, simply pull back near the bottom, and gently push up (some force may be required) to clear the weather stripping be the window. And voila, you should see some dusty black foam, and your speaker (Picture).

In order to put the panels back on, simply reverse the steps listed above. Dont forget to hook up all the wires to the power locks and windows.

Good luck. If you have any questions, let me know.

Dont forget to check out my other recent HOW-TO.
HOW-TO: Install LED's in Door Handles *PICS*

phlop

1996 Contour LX (With 2.5L V6 Duratech) Check Out NWC (Northwest Contour) Free Image Hosting and Gallaries http://nwc.phlop.com My 96 Tour's Website http://www.phlop.com
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
good how-to. it was a pain in the ass removing those just to put my new 6x8s in there.

Jake 96 T-Red SE V6
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
what about the back doors? where are all the screws located?

Justin 98.5 CSVT # 4887 of 6535 (born 2/28/98)
I
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
I
Nice write up man...Thanks for takeing the extra effort for the how to.

Team Evo Staz: You know why they call it Skunkworks? Everyone: Why? Staz: Because everything that comes out of it stinks!!! Steeda-I hate you stazi
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
I've had my door panels off so many times, that I lost count.

Anyone ever forget to put the puddle lights back into their lenses? Nice burning smell as the lightbulbs melt the foam in the door. <--- done that twice

Good how-to

-06 GTO Torrid Red/M6 -98 LS with BPU -05 Honda Odyssey EX-L mv .zig ..\for\great\.justice
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by mygameisplatnum:
what about the back doors? where are all the screws located?

I figured out the door panel removal myself (plus I seen it done to other vehicles in the past where my dad used to work) and I just felt around the doors for screws there is like 2 on the bottom if I remember right, and I think there is 5 or 6 screws in the rear doors.
All in all the door panels are not that hard to remove (except the defroster vent on the front doors).

Last edited by mystique97; 03/05/05 05:19 AM.

Jason G. 1997 Mercury Mystique GS ZETEC ATX Born: 11/96

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard