Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
K
Doesn't work if you've got a PATS key.

My Cars 1999 Silver Frost SVT - 80,000km #2603/2760 Aug. 10, 1999. 1996 Mercury Mystique LS V6 MTX - retired @ 323,151km. 1995 Ford Contour V6 MTX-sold @ 214,000km
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
did you know that there is also a master code written in the VIN for keypad entry vehicles?? A mechanic at my old job showed me how you could remote start and unlock the doors of a newer grand marquis simply by reading the vin and entering the code on the keypad. Only problem is the steering is still locked.

2000 SVT Black/Tan #1633/2150 (a few mods) Alpine: CDA-9835, MRV-F540, MRD-M550 PG: TANTRUM-X 6.5 COMP all around. Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas. CEL currently: Off
W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
I love the number of people that take Emails as the GOD OWN TRUTH...
http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_car_thieves_vin.htm

2012 Lotus Evora --------- 95 Mystique MTX - GONE 395,000 Kms --------- Both Zetecs '97 Contour Mtx - stock - GONE
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
You have to prove owernship of the vehicle w/ a valid registration before the dealer will make you a new key. They won't just give out a key to anyone who wants one based on a VIN, they know as well as everyone else anyone could walk up and write down a VIN off of any vehicle. I wouldn't worry about this unless you keep the car unlocked and they can take your registration too.

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX
K
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by CarpePoon:
did you know that there is also a master code written in the VIN for keypad entry vehicles?? A mechanic at my old job showed me how you could remote start and unlock the doors of a newer grand marquis simply by reading the vin and entering the code on the keypad. Only problem is the steering is still locked.

I'd like to see the method on how this is supposed to work.

My Cars 1999 Silver Frost SVT - 80,000km #2603/2760 Aug. 10, 1999. 1996 Mercury Mystique LS V6 MTX - retired @ 323,151km. 1995 Ford Contour V6 MTX-sold @ 214,000km
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Check out that link above. 3 out of 4...

You really think the person behind the counter is always going to be strict about it? Sure, I don't see this happening to any contour. It's a lot of work and risk when hotwiring is really easy on a lot of cars. If you really want a safe car, get lojack.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Hot wiring doesn't bypass the steering lock, you need a screw in dent puller, the kind with a slide hammer on it. Besides that method only tends to work on foreign cars like toyotas and hondas because they have a single screw that holds the ignition switch in, so it just breaks and out comes the switch, then just use a scredriver. Besides GM and ford ignitions can't be done this way as there is a slotted washer at the base that prevents screwdriver starting even if you can remove the switch, which is also held in by this slotted washer and cant be removed unless the switch is in the on position. But don't worry anyone who steals a tour is just doing it to run drugs around not take it to a chop shop, so your likely to get the car back Don't ask I watch COPS on tv too much

ATX MTX swap, rear drum disc swap, drilled rotors, ported intake, optim throttle body, CAI, 7.5L MAF, adj. fuel regulator, longtube headers, underdrive pulley, no EGR, low inpedence bigger injectors, 2002 Focus Swap
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by CarpePoon:

There is a factory set code for each car, but not one code for every car with a keypad. Trust me, the dealer just won't "give" someone the factory code for your car. It's harder to get that from a dealer than it is to have a key cut. Also, many of the units fail and need to be replaced, and the dealer won't have the code to the new unit in the database.

Also, I'm not sure how the mechanic started the car with the keypad because I've looked at the schematic and wiring diagram of the ford keypad system, and it is in no way connected to your ignition module.

Auto manufacturers are wise to this little key cutting scheme, and now some of them give you a key tag with a number on it. You not only have to have the VIN, but the tag with the numbers to obtain a replacement key. The dealer does not have this number in their database, but they must enter it before they can get a key pattern.

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
It's funny as with my old Ford's back in the UK you had a master key ... it had a RED handle instead of black plastic.
If you ever wanted a copy key you had to take this one in for them to make it. If you didn't have it, I believe that you had to jump through more hoops than a circus dolphin to get a new one. It struck me as odd that they don't have the same practice here.

1998.5 T-Red on Midnight Blue SVT Build Number 5320 of 6535
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Judas H Priest! I'm covering the VIN on both of my 'tours in 10 minutes.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard