Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
W
This came to me at work from our Police Service, via our office's Police Liaison Officer, so it's legit.

Subject: VIN Numbers

Seems that car thieves have found yet another way to steal your car or truck without any effort at all.

The car thieves peer through the windshield of your car or truck, write down the VIN from the label on the dash, go to the local car dealership and request a duplicate key based on the VIN #.

I didn't believe this e-mail, so I called a friend at Chrysler Dodge and pretended I had lost my keys. They told me to just bring in the VIN #, and they would cut me one on the spot, and I could order the keyless device if I wanted.
The Car Dealer's Parts Department will make a duplicate key from the VIN #, and collect payment from the thief who will return to your car. He doesn't have to break in, do any damage to the vehicle, or draw attention to himself. All he has to do is walk up to your car, insert the key and off he goes to a local Chop Shop with your vehicle.

You don't believe it? It IS that easy.
To avoid this from happening to you, simply put some tape (electrical tape, duct tape or medical tape) across the VIN Metal Label located on the dashboard. By law, you cannot remove the VIN, but you can cover it so it can't be viewed through the windshield by a car thief.
I urge you to forward this to your friends before some other car thief steals another car or truck.

It goes without saying that you don't want to share this with friends that maybe dwell on the shadier side of the law...

Will

Will Keith 1996 Contour GL Duratec V6 Auto 190,000 km No modifications, yet...
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
this seams a little off. about 2 years my sister broke the one and only key to her 99VW golf. she did get a new key maid but they asked for a copy of her ownership and to make a photo copy of her drivers licence.

RIP Frank Foreman. March 15 2005. died in a tragic car crash at the age of 18.<Drive Safe> 1995 Contour gl Zetec auto. 178000km
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
junk email from ur mom and/or family

could never and would never happen

FORMER OWNER 2000 Black SVT #934 of 2150
W
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
W
No doubt you're right. However, who says all car manufacturers and dealerships are that thorough and security conscious? The police are telling us about it because it's happened, at least up here in Alberta.

Will Keith 1996 Contour GL Duratec V6 Auto 190,000 km No modifications, yet...
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
I would believe it. That's why I keep my car looking like crap. Oh, wait, I'm just lazy. I would definetly put tape on my VIN if I thought anyone would want my car. It takes 2 seconds, and who cares if you're paranoid or gullible?

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
if you want an easy way to make your car realy hard to steel all u need is about 1hr of time and 10.00$. its simple put a hiden stwich in your ashtray or under your seet .anyware as long as it is hiden. hook that stwich up to your fuel pump. it wont stop them from braking in to your car but thay wont be able to steel it from u with out a tow truck. it will start run for about 4 seconds then quit and wont start again untill the stwich is turned back on. leaving them puzzled.

RIP Frank Foreman. March 15 2005. died in a tragic car crash at the age of 18.<Drive Safe> 1995 Contour gl Zetec auto. 178000km
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
At least with Ford, only service managers and parts managers have access to the Ford key code data base. The data base is pass word protected and before you can get to the spot to enter the key code a reminder pops up that you need proof of ownership. Proof of ownership is usually a driver's license with a photo and registration with the same name and address.

More and more owners still block off the VIN so that it can't be read all the same.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by realslimshaver:
if you want an easy way to make your car realy hard to steel all u need is about 1hr of time and 10.00$. its simple put a hiden stwich in your ashtray or under your seet .anyware as long as it is hiden. hook that stwich up to your fuel pump. it wont stop them from braking in to your car but thay wont be able to steel it from u with out a tow truck. it will start run for about 4 seconds then quit and wont start again untill the stwich is turned back on. leaving them puzzled.

Any thief knows that one. It may stall them for a moment, but they'll find it if they have any time at all. If you hook it up to the ignition +12 it is a fun way to screw with friends, though: "Hey, go move my car for me..." A buddy of mine did that, and it was funny to see people amazed when he hopped in and it started right up for him. He just looked at them like they were an idiot for not knowing how to turn on a car.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Quote:

Any thief knows that one. It may stall them for a moment, but they'll find it if they have any time at all. If you hook it up to the ignition +12 it is a fun way to screw with friends, though: "Hey, go move my car for me..." A buddy of mine did that, and it was funny to see people amazed when he hopped in and it started right up for him. He just looked at them like they were an idiot for not knowing how to turn on a car.

most car thieves that know that are looking for top of the line cars. i mean some of them on here are but most thieves that are going to steal a contour probably dont know the ins and outs.

Last edited by snakous; 03/01/05 06:00 AM.

Jake 96 T-Red SE V6
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Heres what you do, Get insurance

I changed my locks, I wanted new locks since I knew the previous owner of the car lived down the street, and gave me one set of keys. can never be too sure....

Former owner of a 1995 Ford Contour GL w/ 2.0L ATX Proud owner of a 2005 Ford Taurus SE 3.0L V6 Vulcan --Looking for Commodore stuff (Drives, Units, Amiga, games, etc)If anyone has any of this laying around and wants it gone, lemme know --
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard