Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by tour96se:
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
Somebody started drinking early...

how many more of these zetec to duratec swap ?'s we gonna get...maybe we should post a sticky to the top of the page

Sticky reads: "Don't do it, it really isn't worth the time, just buy one with a v6"

or in this case fix it, is it mostly cosmetic damage?

~Alex Ex- SVT Driver627 MUST SELL!!!LOCAL: Pre-98 MOLDED trunk Polk db speakers Corolla parts LED Underbody Kit PM 2000 Green CSVT gone on 2/17/06 2001 Toyota Corolla (SHE RUNS!!!) 1989 Mustang LX 5.0
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
yeah just sell them both and get a v6. if you only paid 250 for the 96 then part it out and sell your zetec and you could probably buy an SVT.

Jake 96 T-Red SE V6
U
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
U
yeah but I dont like doing things the easy way

99 ATX Contour 130k w/ a 21k tranny freshly installed Secret Project in the works
Originally posted by unknown:
Never argue with an idiot, ppl may not be able to tell the difference between you.

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by DopePope:
really? i hope hes serious. much better to try and fail then to never try at all because people tell you it can't be done.

besides what if he actually did get it to work?

I definately agree. I would much rather at least try to do something than just assume it cant be done. And if you do the research behind things alot of times its not as hard as people may have thought. Doing the all out custom thing is where hot rodding started back in the day.

1997 Mercury Mystique -Tinted, Debadged, and no more door ding guards -Dual Exhaust With Magnaflow Mufflers -Gutted Precats -SVT rear sway bar w/ES bushings
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by Roadwarrior:
Originally posted by DopePope:
really? i hope hes serious. much better to try and fail then to never try at all because people tell you it can't be done.

besides what if he actually did get it to work?

I definately agree. I would much rather at least try to do something than just assume it cant be done. And if you do the research behind things alot of times its not as hard as people may have thought. Doing the all out custom thing is where hot rodding started back in the day.

This guy is talking about swapping motors from junk cars, not making a one-off supercar. I don't see any advantage to the extra cylinders. It would be exciting to put a V-8 in a 'tour, just to have a V-8, but what would be the point? For the same amount of money, and a lot less effort, you could do a turbo 3L. Put the same level of effort and polish Demon put into his car, and 500 crank hp is quite feasible. If you put a V-8 in there, you would never get FI on it, so you'd still be short on power. So yes, to be the only one would be cool, but go look in your engine bay and tell me any sane person would attempt it.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
It's best to go with the same year cars for the swap because it will be a straight bolt in and plug in swap. The 98's have a different front suspension and different wiring so you'll be in for some extra work to make everything work and fit right. I've swaped a 97 2.0 with a 97 2.5 and it really was just a matter of swaping the whole cradle/suspension with the drivetrain still attached, PCM and gauges. It only took slightly longer than a like for like swap.

Parting out 95-97 Contours/Mystiques. Contact me directly at ALFIGOLS@yahoo.com if you're looking for a particular part.
U
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
U
Originally posted by 95Sleeper:
For the same amount of money, and a lot less effort, you could do a turbo 3L.

Because a turbo 3L has been done already.

If you put a V-8 in there, you would never get FI on it, so you'd still be short on power.

Not true, I guess you haven't ever heard of the V-8 focus' they have been done with both 4.6L out of 99 & 2000 Mustangs and also with a 5.0L Carburated engine. Granted it is a focus but the subframing is alot alike, not to mention there is more cubic footage under the hood of the contour than there is in a focus. If it can be sone in a focus then it can be done in a contour.

So yes, to be the only one would be cool, but go look in your engine bay and tell me any sane person would attempt it.

Sanity has nothing to do with it. As I always say, I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.

99 ATX Contour 130k w/ a 21k tranny freshly installed Secret Project in the works
Originally posted by unknown:
Never argue with an idiot, ppl may not be able to tell the difference between you.

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by MP3Tour:
Not true, I guess you haven't ever heard of the V-8 focus' they have been done with both 4.6L out of 99 & 2000 Mustangs and also with a 5.0L Carburated engine. Granted it is a focus but the subframing is alot alike, not to mention there is more cubic footage under the hood of the contour than there is in a focus. If it can be sone in a focus then it can be done in a contour.

And they were also converted to RWD, cut up most of the car to make a transmission tunnel and rear end..

It can be done, but the question is, is it worth being done? To spend all that money just for the bragging rights of a V8-powered, RWD Contour?

Damn I am starting to sound more and more like Demon everyday..

If you have the money and time for it, I say do it.

Driving the Caliber Side project: The LT-5 Fiero is being born..
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
So yes, to be the only one would be cool, but go look in your engine bay and tell me any sane person would attempt it.

Sanity has nothing to do with it. As I always say, I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.

In that case why don't you go all the way and pop in a twin turbo aluminum 600 inch mountain motor with nitrous? Now THAT would be truly different...

'96 SE 2.5 V6 ATX, Willow Frost Metallic 10-hole '84 Mustang 15x7 wheels w/ Dunlop 225/50-15's CSVT air intake components with K&N cone filter Optimized TB Gutted Pre-cats w/MIL eliminators
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard