Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
I was making sure my plug wires were on tight today, and I noticed that they were on wrong, no. 3 and 2 were switched.

So I switched 'em back and took it for a spin and it didn't feel any different. Seems very wierd to me.

This is also wierd because I just changed my timing belt, and was very careful to mark 'em and put them back the way they were, I never checked to see if they had originally been on right, so they were either on wrong a long time, or just a few days, but either way it never seemed to drive different.

Is it normal for it to drive fine either way?

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Plugs 2 & 3 (as do 1 & 4) fire at the same time. It just so happens that one is on the compression strike and one is on the exhaust stroke, so only one cylinder at a time (4-cylinder) actually has a compustible compressed mixture to burn. Swapping the wires only reversed the polarity of the current through the plugs having no material effect on the spark.

This is called a "waste spark system". Use that for a Google search and you should be able to find more info about it.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Weird, I've never heard of that but it does make sense. Thanks for explaining it.
-Peter

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard