Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#1187864 02/18/05 03:03 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
You can't turn slotted or driller rotors.

I guess I'm the only one who stands by slotted rotors. Drilled for a street car are not worth it. I like the benefits the slotted rotors give, and will be what I buy for the rest of my vehicles. They aid in cooling and also keep the pads from glazing as well.....

Originally posted by ContourKev:

Drilled/Slotted rotors are also a pain in the ass for those who have to cut them with the Brake Laite(sp?)

Ryan Trollin!
#1187865 02/18/05 05:03 PM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I don't have trouble machining drilled and / or slotted rotors. It is true that they cannot be cut as agressively as blank rotors, but I don't try to machine rotors agressively even on plain rotors.

If you have trouble getting them machined, try another machine shop or garage.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
#1187866 02/18/05 05:05 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I figured it would be impossible to turn them, oh well, learn something new every day :-)
Originally posted by Big Jim:
I don't have trouble machining drilled and / or slotted rotors. It is true that they cannot be cut as agressively as blank rotors, but I don't try to machine rotors agressively even on plain rotors.

If you have trouble getting them machined, try another machine shop or garage.

Ryan Trollin!
#1187867 02/18/05 06:37 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by RTStabler51:

I guess I'm the only one who stands by slotted rotors. Drilled for a street car are not worth it. I like the benefits the slotted rotors give, and will be what I buy for the rest of my vehicles. They aid in cooling and also keep the pads from glazing as well.....

Drilled/Slotted rotors are also a pain in the ass for those who have to cut them with the Brake Laite(sp?)

I would "stand by" slotted rotors, too. They do actually serve a purpose under hard track use, and I think they look as good as or better than drilled.

But I wouldn't put stock-size slotted rotors on my SE for autocross use. In fact, I'd stick with plain, stock-sized rotors until I actually had a problem that larger rotors would solve, and then I might consider slotted.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
#1187868 02/19/05 02:47 AM
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Drilled/slotted rotors are only good if you race your car, and use your brakes often to slow down at high speeds. The reasoning in having that is when the brakes are at a very high tempeture, a gas will form, so when you apply the brakes, the gas prevents braking, Slotted/drilled rotors allow that gas to escape, and allowing the brakes to function correctly.

Wrong, read above. This simply isn't true with modern friction materials. Pads don't outgass anymore.

-Todd

Very few of life's problems can not be solved with the reasonable application of more horsepower!
#1187869 02/19/05 02:56 AM
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by RTStabler51:

As someone else pointed out, drilled/slotted rotors can be turned. However the feed rate is much slower. That being said, at Brembo we don't recomend turning any rotr, as it is only a band-aid solution to the problem.

As for slotted, count me in as a fan as well. Your right about the pad glazing issue, but there is no real cooling effect. The slots do "wipe the fire band" allowing for a cleaner pad surface, especially in dirty conditions. This is why slotted is favored alot in Rally racing.

-Todd

Very few of life's problems can not be solved with the reasonable application of more horsepower!
#1187870 02/19/05 10:06 PM
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Lol the other day I saw a pre-98 contour w/ drilled rotors- ya know, the ones that don't have calipers... It was officically rice w/ those gay hubcaps, I felt bad for it.

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard