Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
V
V6LX Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
V
I,ve been working on my car wich I do not mind when I can get the problems solved. I have replaced the 2 O2 sensors,cleaned the EGR valve and piping, decarb the intake manifold etc. For all that, the latest was the rear bank O2 sensor, wich that's when I saw the wiring really bad peeling off and touching each other. Right now I'm doing all the wiring and also some Vacumm hoses, also brand new spark plug wires. I wich after that it will be no more "CEL". Ford did really cheap w/ that wiring.

W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
There were recalls on the harness I believe. When I got my 95 SE the guy asked if I wanted the two wire harnesses that he had used. I guess there was one he did himself but another was by ford. No idea the cost but I would check to see about the recall on your car.

1999 Contour SE Duratec ATX My feet and the Stra�Ÿenbahn http://www.tempo-topaz-performance.com/topazsho/ the coolest Topaz ever! To bad it's not mine
V
V6LX Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
V
Thanks. I will check on that.

E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
http://www.contour.org/FAQ/FAQ.php?s=probs&displayid=24
I have an appointment with Ford this week so they can check on my complaint, which is just started to happen.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I just got all my wiring harnesses replaced a few months ago. Its effective for 10 years/100,000 miles. Luckily, mine still fell under that.

Jim Hahn 1996 T-Red Contour SE Reborn 4/6/04 3.0L swap and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit 364 whp, 410 wtq @ 4,700 rpm
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
How long did they take to do the job?

V
V6LX Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
V
Originally posted by beyondloadedSE:
I just got all my wiring harnesses replaced a few months ago. Its effective for 10 years/100,000 miles. Luckily, mine still fell under that.

Well, I guess they will try not to service my car,because it has 111.000 on the odometer. I will try anyway. Thank you for the info.

Last edited by V6LX; 02/15/05 10:11 AM.
B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
Talk nicely to the service manager of your favorite ford dealer. I had 110,000 and they changed mine out once I agreed to pay 10% of the price...a bargain.....Your service manager will have to contact the area ford rep.

Bob

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by eepals:
How long did they take to do the job?

Heh. Eight weeks for mine. It WOULD have taken about a week, if it weren't for all the screwups. Count on them needing to tear the engine down (they might even pull it) to diagnose what needs to be replaced, order and wait for the harnesses, and then actually do the install. You really should print off the complete recall document from the CEG site so you KNOW what's called for. It will make a huge difference in dealing with the service manager.

In my case, they replaced all the harnesses. They also broke my windshield when a mechanic dropped a wiper motor into it, had to refinish the windshield frame in their body shop, had a fire in the service bay that closed it down for a day (three vehicles destroyed), broke a power steering line that had to be ordered and replaced, and then...AND THEN...had the audacity to call me up and tell me that I had a $1400 bill. I had agreed up front to pay for a new radiator, radiator hose, and water pump belt (these were unrelated to the service), but they were trying to convince me that I owed for parts that were covered by the recall, and I ended up firing off complaints to Ford Corporate Customer Care, the dealership management, the BBB, and I even was trying to get local media in on it, and then finally they said "Just come get it, no charge". And even then I brought it back because there was a power steering leak and the A/C wasn't working.

The point is, though, having that recall in hand, I could point to every single item that they were trying to charge for and say "That's covered." It's invaluable knowledge.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
It took mine a weekend. I think the scheduled time is about 12 hours or so iirc.

Jim Hahn 1996 T-Red Contour SE Reborn 4/6/04 3.0L swap and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit 364 whp, 410 wtq @ 4,700 rpm
V
V6LX Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
V
Originally posted by btrautman:
Talk nicely to the service manager of your favorite ford dealer. I had 110,000 and they changed mine out once I agreed to pay 10% of the price...a bargain.....Your service manager will have to contact the area ford rep.

Bob

Yes, it did not work for me. I will do it myself as much I can, the O2 sensors wires are really bad. I also will be changing all the hard plastic vacumme pipes for the Silicone hoses after that I wish that will be no more engine "CEL" wich I doubt it there's always something to do on that car.

Last edited by V6LX; 02/15/05 07:37 PM.
B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
Try another Ford dealer, I had to....

Bob

E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
I talked to a service manager at a Ford dealer nearby. He stated he saw most of the wiring that goes bad to be under the coolant tank. He said the leaking coolant causes the wiring to degrade. I told him my tank doesn't leak. I stated I thought the trouble areas would be in areas of high heat like under the UIM, being from the use of the wrong temp rated wire insulation. My insulation as of two months ago had about four random cracks in the injector wiring area, under the UIM.
I said I got the info off the web at this site. He sort of insinuated that the info from the internet was garbage.
His real concern was that I know I would be liable for diagnostic time if the wiring wasn't bad. I told him I understood that.
I think I'll call a few dealers to hear their story on the issue. It doesn't sound like they want to do the job, although they have done three Contours.
Opinions please.

M
I am Canuckian
I am Canuckian
M
I found my cracked wiring under the UIM. I had an appointment to get it all redone where I was living at the time however blew my tranny up while out of town at my old stomping grounds. So I spoke to that dealership letting them know that my car fit the scope of the recall and they may as well do it while there was less items under the hood figuring that would save some time. Well they ended up not doing it. I had to get my local dealership to reorder the harnesses for me. They did it and it took 14 hours. I received the obligatory rental as well. ( a Windstar ) The long and short of it is most dealerships just don't want to do this recall as it is a loss to them. I beleive they are alotted between 5-7 hours for the repair and virtually no mechanic can pull it off in that time. In the end for me every wire under the hood was new.

Green 96 mystique gs 4cyl mtx 16.9 in the 1/4 mile @102500 miles 95SE in Midnight Red MTX MSDS headers and y-pipe SVT exhaust SVT UIM Optimized se TB. Full pre 98 SVT body kit 15.741 @ 87.73mph :)
B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
I talked to a service manager at a Ford dealer nearby. He stated he saw most of the wiring that goes bad to be under the coolant tank. He said the leaking coolant causes the wiring to degrade. I told him my tank doesn't leak. I stated I thought the trouble areas would be in areas of high heat like under the UIM, being from the use of the wrong temp rated wire insulation. My insulation as of two months ago had about four random cracks in the injector wiring area, under the UIM.
I said I got the info off the web at this site. He sort of insinuated that the info from the internet was garbage.
His real concern was that I know I would be liable for diagnostic time if the wiring wasn't bad. I told him I understood that.
I think I'll call a few dealers to hear their story on the issue. It doesn't sound like they want to do the job, although they have done three Contours.
Opinions please.

The way I noticed mine was that I was doing upper lower intake cleaning. When I took the upper intake off, the injector wire insulation harness was in shreds! Most sections were completely bare. I was very lucky a fire did not start or even that the car ran at all. I still don't like talking about this...makes me angry....There is no excuse for this cheap crap......OK.....sip a cup of coffee......OK, I'm fine now!

Bob

W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
Don't say you got info off the net, just bring the info about the recall.

1999 Contour SE Duratec ATX My feet and the Stra�Ÿenbahn http://www.tempo-topaz-performance.com/topazsho/ the coolest Topaz ever! To bad it's not mine
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by mbb41:
The long and short of it is most dealerships just don't want to do this recall as it is a loss to them. I beleive they are alotted between 5-7 hours for the repair and virtually no mechanic can pull it off in that time.

In actuality, it is the mechanic that gets the raw deal. He must perform the job, which usually takes around 14 hours, but only gets paid for 5-7 hours. Obviously, who would want a repair job where he would be paid for only half the time he spent working on your car. I've heard it mentioned that paying the mechanic an out of pocket "tip" (around $100) will help ensure that he does a better job, since he's not getting shafted quite as bad.

-Mark- '99 Mystique LS, totally original (including the original water pump and the premium stereo)! Bought new in December 1998 for $21,000. 208,000 miles
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
First off, PRINT OFF THE RECALL. All 60-some pages of it. It's a Ford document and *where* you got it doesn't matter. You need to have this in hand when you go talk to the service manager, so if/when they play dumb, you have a reference. When I went in, the service writer pulled the "Well, we'll have to take a look before we can say if it's eligible for the recall" and I flipped to the page where the diagnostic flowchart and diagrams were and popped the hood. Five minutes later, he was logging my car into the system.

Second, the book time for the job is 12 hours. I talked at length with the mechanic (who was a Contour owner too) about how the book time and the actual job time differed, and he said that he could do it faster by just pulling the engine. I *was* going to slip him a C-note after it was done, but he quit working for Ford before my car was finished.

Third, the recall doesn't specify how the wiring damage has to happen, just that it does. My harnesses were busted up all over the place...at the fan relay, back by the firewall, at the MAF connection, and along the fuel rail. Location doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is the time/mileage allowance.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
I have printed out the pages, good suggestion.
I also called the service dept. of the place I actually bought my car from. I had been using a dealer closer to my house for convenance, on my other pre-cat recalls. I stated I had an 99M03 issue on a 96 Contour, he said fine bring it in. Compared to the dealer I talked to yesterday, who sounded like he never actually read the reasons for the recall, telling me leaking coolant was the reason the wiring falls apart. I have an appointment for next Friday.
My only concern now is the cracking is no where as advanced as Bob T's injector wiring was. Will they try to say since you don't have any engine running symptoms, you don't really apply.

B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
I have printed out the pages, good suggestion.
I also called the service dept. of the place I actually bought my car from. I had been using a dealer closer to my house for convenance, on my other pre-cat recalls. I stated I had an 99M03 issue on a 96 Contour, he said fine bring it in. Compared to the dealer I talked to yesterday, who sounded like he never actually read the reasons for the recall, telling me leaking coolant was the reason the wiring falls apart. I have an appointment for next Friday.
My only concern now is the cracking is no where as advanced as Bob T's injector wiring was. Will they try to say since you don't have any engine running symptoms, you don't really apply.

I believe as long as they can see the cracked insulation and perhaps some bare wire they should not give you a hard time.....My other wiring had some cracked insulation and small bare spots.....It was on th injector harness that was so terriable....

Oh, yes the wiring leading to the pcm at the firewall was also cracked and was causing starting problems....if was only after hours and hours of checking wires that I touched the key one leading to the PCM that was causing my starting and stalling problems.... Twisted the wire together and dealer came and picked up the car for no charge....

J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
The recall clearly states that if there is visible cracking, the service goes forward. The first time I took my car in, before I had reviewed the recall, they blustered me out with "if it ain't having problems, how can we fix it?" Having the recall in hand and knowing what to look for is a GOOD feeling. Doing it in front of other customers is even better.

D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
what year does ther ecall inclube? im about to hit 100,000 and i dont wanna miss it

'98.5 Black Ford Contour SE Sport 5-speed. All the SE Sport features with all the 98features that were supposed to be decontented for 98.5 '04 Silver Toyota RAV4 L Auto. Fully loaded.
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
i have the 98.5 model but it was assembled in 97. does that mean mine is under recall?

'98.5 Black Ford Contour SE Sport 5-speed. All the SE Sport features with all the 98features that were supposed to be decontented for 98.5 '04 Silver Toyota RAV4 L Auto. Fully loaded.
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Doubtful, it's 95-97 model years under 100,000 miles.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard