Next Thread
Print Thread
Y
yyz-svt Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Y
did the whole search and getting few ideas but not too many that match up to my situation !
gonna check into the PATS more , but for now can i welcome any remarks to assist in having my engine run again so i can make it to work on monday !!!
not even 40,000 miles yet ! it's a 99 CSVT MTX and is stock . so far : turn key - no crank or humming , only the instument lighting is alive ( battery good i figure ) . could it be distributer / fuel pump / or most likely something related to stater .
anyone know what generation the comp is so maybe could have it diagnosed in driveway or is this a dealer visit ( tow ) only option ??
thanks soooooo much for any comments !!

P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by yyz-svt:
turn key - no crank or humming , only the instument lighting is alive ( battery good i figure ) .

Turn on the headlights - are they bright? If not, battery is weak/dead.

If headlights are bright, then try turning the key to crank with the headlights on - If the headlights dim or go out as you try to crank it, the battery or its connections are in doubt. If the headlights stay bright, problem is in the starter circuit.

H
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
H
One possibility:

If battery and alternator check out, the starter motor solenoid may be bad. Sometimes if you take a srewdriver and knock on the starter motor (kinda hard to get to) It will start working again. Seems more affected during cold weather. Never had a problem during the summer time. (which is about the only time I drive the SVT anyways)

I have had this problem before but its not worth messing with for me with a MTX - I can just roll it out of garage and release the clutch and vroom!

Let us know what you find out!

-Hal

1998 SVT + Goodies Hal's How To's
Y
yyz-svt Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Y
tnx for the quik responses .

i'll test the headlights as stated to rule out the battery .

has been way cold here in "southern canada" , some days minus 15 F !! ( hear the rattle from the timing chain ever day )

got 2 days to get this solved , only 1 absence per mth permitted !

i'll talk to you guys later !

anymore suggestions from this fine group is appreciated !

T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
there is an underhood fuse that fully controls the ignition cylinder. That's what was wrong with my car. It is blue and when looking at the fuse panel from the drivers side fender, it was the bottom left of the larger fuses. Don't know if that helps any, just a possibility.

BTW, it is one of the fuses with that glass/plastic window on the top. Mine didn't look burnt out, but it was

Alex 00 T-Red/Tan SVTC #1964/2150 167 HP @6800 153 TQ @3000 Sold- 98 'Tour SE 24V 5-spd 149 HP @5900 148 LB FT @4300
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
To determine if it is a gross PATS failure, describe the action of the red PATS led.

If it fast-flashes, then you have a PATS problem.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by hsoverma:
One possibility:

If battery and alternator check out, the starter motor solenoid may be bad. Sometimes if you take a srewdriver and knock on the starter motor (kinda hard to get to) It will start working again. Seems more affected during cold weather. Never had a problem during the summer time. (which is about the only time I drive the SVT anyways)

I have had this problem before but its not worth messing with for me with a MTX - I can just roll it out of garage and release the clutch and vroom!

Let us know what you find out!

-Hal

I dont mean to offend you in any way, but I have seen more damage to starters from knocking them...Ive seen and heard people hitting starter with hammer even. All you will do is damage the magnets inside, which are very easily broken. If your not getting a click of any kind, I suspect your battery connections or maybe something else such as a neutral safety switch or something. What ever you do...dont go banging your starter, or you may end up with more than one problem.

Y
yyz-svt Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Y
hey lads' , she's running !

when the temperature went up it fired , so i figure i had water in some connection or ?? as i just power-washed the underside to remove the salt/sand just the day before .

i'll keep all these comments as it's good knowledge to have and relay to friends when their car's get fussy or worse .

tnx again and the worst of the winter is over here so i shouldn't have to go thru this again .

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard