Next Thread
Print Thread
#1172972 02/01/05 08:09 PM
A
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
A
I have a noise in the front end of my '96, maybe on the driver side. Started yesterday. Happens only when I accelerate, goes away when I let up on the gas regardless of speed. It's a soft, low frequency groan/click, almost like part of the exhaust sound. Frequency of the noise (how frequently the noise occurs, not the frequency of the sound) goes up and down according to vehicle speed, not engine speed. Audible in all other gears except 1st, but could be masked by other noises in 1st gear. I thought maybe CV. Turned to steering wheel lock in both directions and drove low speed in a parking lot, no noise. It's hard to check exhaust for me because of the cold weather, but noise is not there if I put it in neutral and rev up the engine, so probably not exhaust. Car is '96 V6, ~82000 miles. Any help is appreciated.

Andy 96 Contour V6 101000 miles
N
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
Does it do it with car in neutral? CEL light on? Sounds like perhaps an exhuast leak, bad exhaust gasket, or popped off DPFE tube....

If you can recreate it in neutral, perhaps you can pop the hood to pinpoint it???

"Fear is the little death." Muadib.
A
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
A
No, doesn't do it in neutral. CEL light has been on for a long time. Pulled code says catalyst below threshold, bank 1 lean. I just ignore the light now. Problem may be exhaust, it's just too damn cold outside to crawl under and check for it.

G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Sounds like a wheel bearing to me. Very common problem with these cars. Your mileage is about right for this to happen too....I speak from experience. Cost me $300 to have them replaced as they are pressed in and I have no press. Hope this helps.......

Last edited by gearhead; 02/02/05 03:42 AM.

'99 Sport TropicGreen,Duratec, SVT exhaust, Brembo rotors, Ceramic pads, K&N filters(oil & air), Alpine CDM7874, Polk DB570 speakers front and rear. Fog light mod. 50% Formula One tint.
N
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
Man I'm thinking an exhaust problem. With engine in neutral, pop the hood and rev it... any "clicking" sounds coming from around the throttle body area?

"Fear is the little death." Muadib.
A
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
A
I've already replaced both front bearings. The left side was replaced first, followed by the right side several months later. This is probably 20k miles ago, so not too long. I wouldn't expect them to go bad yet (but anything is possible), but the sound was different when it was the bearing.

W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
One of the guys I work with has a 97 SE atx Contour that the front bearings were replaced. When they mechanics put the bearings in, they did something wrong, don't remember what, but he started hearing noises like you. The mechanics ended up replacing the bearings, axles, and other stuff. Hope you're not in the same boat. Didn't cost him anything the second time around, just the hassle of doing something twice.

WA 2 TUFF SVT 2000 Tropic Green SVT Born 1/28/2000-1975 out of 2150-only 207 made. Some new pics

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard