Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
i was looking up msds headers in the search and read a few posts that said gutting the pre cats is just as good. i plan on getting the msds headers and y pipe but if just gutting the cat gives as good i gain i would rather just save by gutting the cat than get a new y pipe and a high flow cat. so my question nos is hould i get the msds header or get optimized exhaust maniolds from buckshot and with the money saved get highflow cat and a y pipe?

98 contour s.e. sport mtx http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/503352 all mods shown on page
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Headers without a doubt.

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
If money permits, headers....and if you dont have strict emissions testing...dont have any cats....

Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.
Z
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Z
you know, i think demon has posted this before, saying that the stock svt main cat actually flows really well and should not be considered a major source of restriction. why not maintain the main cat and eliminate the pre cats with the headers, best of both worlds. performance gain from no pre cats but clean emissions because of functioning main cat. SAVE OUR AIR!! if the main cat is not a restriction why get rid of it. heck if you are that concerned you can replace it with an even higher flowing unit from an aftermarket company but i would hazard a guess to say that only the most highly modified 3.0l and forced fed cars are even really in need of a higher flowing cat.

2000 csvt #1553 Black/Tan
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
The point of gutting pre-cats is if you don't have the money to spend on headers. If you have the cash, definately buy headers.

"...first he's gonna s*!t, then he's gonna kill us." 1999 Contour SVT Retrojunk.com
K
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
K
gutted manifolds dont yeild the same gains as headers. they are, however, free.

if you have the money, order the headers.

#4559 of 6535 born on Feb 17, 1998 Black 1998.5 CSVT FOR SALE [cleaning house]: SVT rear swaybar. Reasonable offer and its yours!
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by zm830101:
you know, i think demon has posted this before, saying that the stock svt main cat actually flows really well and should not be considered a major source of restriction. why not maintain the main cat and eliminate the pre cats with the headers, best of both worlds. performance gain from no pre cats but clean emissions because of functioning main cat. SAVE OUR AIR!! if the main cat is not a restriction why get rid of it. heck if you are that concerned you can replace it with an even higher flowing unit from an aftermarket company but i would hazard a guess to say that only the most highly modified 3.0l and forced fed cars are even really in need of a higher flowing cat.

I think his point was that the stock cat flowed well enough that the difference did not justify buying a high flow unit. No cat will net a few HP, but you wouldn't be legal.

Gutting the precats doesn't net much of a gain that I've observed - I've done it. A good set of headers & an optimized stock Y will give you the best combo for your money, hands down.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
I'd imagine my bolts are totally locked due to rust, and I don't really have time to work on clearing the pre-cats..I've always wanted to though. Would prolly throw a horse or two into the car..

to think logically I'll have my car for 4 more years (after that it's the beater) and spending 500 more on msds headers is sort of defeating itself, for the Contour will be what by then, 14? (from factory build date)

B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
They are free unless you get some of the catalyst material into one of the exhaust ports and then into the heads. If this happens, it is quite expensinve and suddenly $600+/- in not so bad for headers.

E0 SVT Kids, yeah, I have kids. How many do you want?
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Headers

06 GMC Sierra 2500HD Dmax/ally 06 Pontiac G6 GT 05 CRF250R FOR SALE 06 KX65 with riding gear $2700 obo
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard