Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Z
zakatak Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Z
I know there has been a whole mess of misfire related posts lately, but mine is different. I've had it in my '95 SE for at least a year now and it used to only show up at lower RPMs under load. A plug change would to take care of it for a few months, but now they get the same carbon tracking in just a few weeks. Tonight it was misfiring from idle all the way up past 5000. It was backfiring through the intake when I'd take off from a stop and the mis showed up under normal slow city driving, something it has never really done. I have new plugs (Autolite APP764), new Ford plug wires, new Ford coil pack, new fuel filter, good fuel pressure, and no cel/codes. What's left guys? Cam/crank position sensor? I read on here that you could unplug the cam sensor (the engines runs on some sort of bank fire mode) but this made no difference in how the car ran. I know a couple Ford mechanics here in town and they're running out of ideas too. The last thing I want to do is take it to the dealership, but I need to get this fixed. Thanks much.

1995 SE Mods- SVT Exhaust. SVT Intake, E1 SVT Wheels, BAT Euro Suspension, 20% tint sides and rear, 50% tint windshield. Future Mods- A new third syncro. It's my boring daily driver that I autocross on the weekends.
Z
zakatak Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Z
Just an update, today the mis seems to be much more regular and very fast at lower rpms. When the secondaries open up, it seems to clear up a litte accompanied with a greater than normal power increase.

1995 SE Mods- SVT Exhaust. SVT Intake, E1 SVT Wheels, BAT Euro Suspension, 20% tint sides and rear, 50% tint windshield. Future Mods- A new third syncro. It's my boring daily driver that I autocross on the weekends.
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by zakatak:
Cam/crank position sensor? I read on here that you could unplug the cam sensor (the engines runs on some sort of bank fire mode) but this made no difference in how the car ran.

IIRC, the cam sensor is used by the ECM to figure out which injector to fire when the engine is cranking over. After the engine starts (i.e, exceeds 400 rpm) the cam sensor isn't needed. (If some one knows for sure, please speak up.)

I know a couple Ford mechanics here in town and they're running out of ideas too.

Have your Ford mechanic scope the primary side of the ignition - that should tell if you definetly have an ignition problem.

If the oscilliscope doesn't show an ignition problem, have him scope the power side of the injector feed. You might just have a lazy injector.

just my $.02 . . . .

A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
I know there has been a whole mess of misfire related posts lately, but mine is different. I've had it in my '95 SE for at least a year now and it used to only show up at lower RPMs under load. A plug change would to take care of it for a few months, but now they get the same carbon tracking in just a few weeks. Tonight it was misfiring from idle all the way up past 5000. It was backfiring through the intake when I'd take off from a stop and the mis showed up under normal slow city driving, something it has never really done. I have new plugs (Autolite APP764), new Ford plug wires, new Ford coil pack, new fuel filter, good fuel pressure, and no cel/codes. What's left guys? Cam/crank position sensor? I read on here that you could unplug the cam sensor (the engines runs on some sort of bank fire mode) but this made no difference in how the car ran. I know a couple Ford mechanics here in town and they're running out of ideas too. The last thing I want to do is take it to the dealership, but I need to get this fixed. Thanks much.

Im having this same problem with my zetec. So any info would help me to.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
i agree with pdgford

2002 Cougar 2.5 duratec/ mtx-75 85,0000 Mondeo ST-200 wheels/BFG KDW NT black/black Spec Stage 1 Torsen T-2 Trubendz 2.5 flowmaster dual exaust apexi s-afc II K&N FIPK
Z
zakatak Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Z
Thanks guys. The problem with this is that it doesn't show up during idle or just revving in neutral. The engine has to be under a little bit of load (i.e. driving) to make the misfire or the backfire show up. Do they make scopes that you can drive with? The dealership is still a last resort, but if that's what it comes down to, I guess that's what has to be done.

L
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
L

might wana throw some autolite double platnam plugs in there the preferd plug of CEG and check the ground to the coil

98 svt sil/blu 3.0 oval heads full P&P, msds headers,bat kit,2,1/2exhaust 30 inch glasspack and 2 spintech mufflers 14.78@94mph with my mechanical arm i can shift gears in less then a twentieth of a second for sale $7000
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Those new Ford wires wouldn't be Ford Racing wires would they??? If so, try plugging in a set of stock wires.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
Z
zakatak Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Z
Autolite APP764 are double plats and the preferred plug here (along with the Motorcraft version). They foul out just as fast as the cheaper Autolites do, so the problem is not the plugs. And they are regular Ford plug wires, I know the Ford Racing wires are garbage.

P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
A plug change would to take care of it for a few months, but now they get the same carbon tracking in just a few weeks.

I missed this before - could you be more specific as to just where you see this carbon track?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard