Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 21 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 20 21
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
well I'm the gravy then...cuz I just sent my deposit today in the mail.

E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
Thanks for putting this together. While I need the reinforced brackets, for my 21 mm bar, my subframe is showing its age. The rust in some areas has noticeably effected the strength of the frame.
I'm in, I left a deposit.

N
NVSVT Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
N
Originally posted by NVSVT:
Latest list of who is in:

NVSVT (2) ΓΆβ?¬β?? deposit made
DarKSidE ΓΆβ?¬β?? deposit made
96BlackSE ΓΆβ?¬β?? maybe
JEDsContour ΓΆβ?¬β?? deposit made
Docfeelgood111 - deposit mailed 02/01/2005
R_G ΓΆβ?¬β?? definitely (ready with deposit)
BDSVT ΓΆβ?¬β?? definitely (ready with deposit)
Ronan ΓΆβ?¬β?? definitely (ready with deposit)
TourDeForce ΓΆβ?¬β?? deposit made
Shaggy - definitely (ready with deposit)
ohsigmachi - deposit made
00SVTGA - deposit made
scottd60 - maybe
morbid - definitely (deposit next week)
DanCanuck - deposit mailed 01/29/2005
goalcoach - deposit made
EternalOne - maybe
95SE_ATL - deposit made
eepals - deposit made

ALL DEPOSITS MUST BE IN BY FEBRUARY 4TH AND YOUR REMAINING PAYMENT MUST BE MADE BEFORE THE SUB-FRAME SHIPS, BUT NO LATER THAN MARCH 4TH.

The Original Owner of 1998 SVT Contour #3384 of 6535, Toreador Red/Midnight Blue, Assembled September 3rd, 1997 Also the Original Owner of a 1998.5 Contour SE Sport V6 5-speed, Vibrant White/Greystone Sport Cloth, Assembled August 6th, 1998
R
R_G Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Deposit made on-line

S
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
S
i dont really know much about sub-frames and what not but since im already spending 1k on my suspension i might as well get this too!

can anyone explain what this does? besides being reinforced? do all of the stock ones eventually crap out? even with a stock sway bar? is it just a plain good investment to get no matter what?

I have the cash but i just dont want to buy parts i dont need or are excessive. but if I SHOULD get this than i will. any input people who know this stuff really well?

if i get this, can i then get a rear sway bar? or will i need additional components? not like bushings and stuff mentioned but i mean actual hardware. i cant believe how much sh!t I have seen that is available for this car's suspension from what I have read, it seems that you NEED this sub frame thingy if you use an upgraded sway bar. especially an Aussie bar.

Originally posted by Tourgasm:
Sometimes you can mess up a word so bad that spell check doens't know what the hell you're talking about.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Let's start with the basics.

1. On a modern "unibody" car, the steel pressings used to form the body panels are also stressed members. In other words, the old way of building a car, with a frame and then a body on top of that, is not used. Still, there has to be something to attach the drivetrain and suspension to. That's what the subframes are for.

2. The stock swaybar mounting brackets on this car, at least at the rear, are weak and flimsy. Some people have had bracket failure even with a stock 19mm bar, esp if they autocross or drive the car hard.

3. Installing any larger rear bar requires reinforcement of the swaybar brackets. This requires welding stronger brackets to the subframe, which requires pulling the whole subframe assembly off the car. A do-it-yourselfer who knows how to weld could accomplish this rather easily on their existing subframe, or you could take it to a shop, explain what needs doing, even show them pictures from this site and get it done that way.

4. You could also obtain a used subframe from a junkyard or other source, and send it to Terry Haines (in MI) to get the work done. I think he has a core charge, refundable when you send him your old subframe. Or, you could send him your own subframe if you can live without your car for a while.

5. The item in this GB is a brand new subframe from ATI with the required modifications already done. So, no worries about rust, etc., especially if you live in a high-rust climate.

6. Even though there have been some failures with stock bars, IMO, this piece is not "required," unless you a) install a bigger rear bar, or b) drive aggressively and care about extracting the last nth of performance out of your suspension.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
N
NVSVT Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
N

96BlackSE ΓΆβ?¬β?? maybe
R_G ΓΆβ?¬β?? deposit made
BDSVT ΓΆβ?¬β?? definitely (ready with deposit)
00SVTGA - deposit made
scottd60 - maybe
morbid - deposit made
goalcoach - deposit made
EternalOne - maybe
95SE_ATL - deposit made
eepals - deposit made
Aspire - maybe

ALL DEPOSITS MUST BE IN BY FEBRUARY 4TH AND YOUR REMAINING PAYMENT MUST BE MADE BEFORE THE SUB-FRAME SHIPS, BUT NO LATER THAN MARCH 4TH.

The Original Owner of 1998 SVT Contour #3384 of 6535, Toreador Red/Midnight Blue, Assembled September 3rd, 1997 Also the Original Owner of a 1998.5 Contour SE Sport V6 5-speed, Vibrant White/Greystone Sport Cloth, Assembled August 6th, 1998
N
NVSVT Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
N

96BlackSE ΓΆβ?¬β?? maybe
R_G ΓΆβ?¬β?? deposit made
BDSVT ΓΆβ?¬β?? deposit made
00SVTGA - deposit made
scottd60 - maybe
morbid - deposit made
goalcoach - deposit made
EternalOne - maybe
95SE_ATL - deposit made
eepals - deposit made
Aspire - maybe

D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Well I got lucky found an aussie bar that was never used on the neco forum for sale. Bought it for $120!...YAY!

N
NVSVT Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
N
Originally posted by docfeelgood111:
Well I got lucky found an aussie bar that was never used on the neco forum for sale. Bought it for $120!...YAY!

You lucky dog!

Page 9 of 21 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 20 21

Moderated by  1314_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard