Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Addicted CEG\'er
OP Offline
Addicted CEG\'er
A
So today, after filling my gas tank up from almost bone dry (yes I know I shouldnt run it below a quarter... and I rarely ever do)... I took note of my gas mileage and I only got 243 miles to my entire tank So... now im a little concerned... I expected my mileage to go down during the winter... I expected about 23 or 24 MPG... Since I usualy average 27 or 28 mainly city during the warmer months. but 17... thats just sad... I mide as well sell the tour and buy a friggan Exploder with that kind of mileage... So heres my problem... My engine doesnt warm up while driving, if its idleing it warms right up... So, my conflict seems to be that the cold air is cooling the Radiator way to well.... Especialy at high way speeds because the temp gauge hardly passes that white mark on the gauge when im going 50MPH+ So... Whats the best way to construct a wind shield for my radiator? Would just a piece of card board fastened in front of the radiator be fine... or should I not do that?

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
N
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
Fans aren't running to keep it overcool?

You can experiment and put a piece of cardboard over the radiator (1/2 at first) drive and see if temp gauge rises.

Is this a new thing happening, or is it always running cool?

"Fear is the little death." Muadib.
N
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
About the gas, I wonder if it's that winter gas crap. Oxygenated gas, less MPG

"Fear is the little death." Muadib.
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Have you checked out the thermostat?
I know I've been driving around in 0 degree temps all week, and the car keeps up to temp just fine.

Just a thought...

-Chris 2000 SE Sport V6 5spd (all stock except for EO brakes)
A
Addicted CEG\'er
OP Offline
Addicted CEG\'er
A
thermostat is the 170 degree one from autozone, did it mid summer because the old one was sticking closed... Helped a lot for summer driving.. But I also tweaked the collant... I added about half of a bottle of Water Wetter... I dont know if that has anything to do with it... but the cardboard wont like start on fire or anything from the radiator? I have no idea how hot those get. A friend told me to think about replacing the ECT, but I cant find that damn thing for sale on any Websites.

This hasnt been a problem until the cold months, and my cooling fans rarely ever run, usualy only when I turn on the defroster... and only for a few minutes then they shut off... But the strager thing is that when I turn on the Defroster... the engine temperature very quickly drops (expecially if I have been sitting idle for a while and the temp actually is able to get up there...)

Another quick question... how long does it take for a new transaxel mount to "settle"

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
C
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
C
ECT runs about $25 at the dealer, a little less at Autozone.

-Ken V. 1998.5 SE Praire Tan Zetec ATX psycho_bass@hotmail.com Roush springs Roush rear sway bar BAT struts 17" Millie Miglia HT3 and a ton of subtle asthetic mods

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard