Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TronX Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
T
Mercury Mystique 1998 GS.

I finally changed the Wiper blades today because they just didn't do a good job anymore. However, there is this on going problem even with the OEM blades when I use the highest speed setting. It makes this noise like it's smacking the bottom of the windshield hard.

I did try to take the whole wiper arm off once, but could not figure out how to do that. I think something about a bolt was on way to tight the last time I checked.

Anyway, I just wanted to know if anyone had any ideas why it's doing this and how to fix this issue.

Right now I've got a new set of ANCO Prem 31 blades on from Walmart. At Mid and Low it works way better than the bosch blades before it.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
The wiper arms (not blades) are splined. If you remove the arm you should be able to move them one spline to keep them from hitting. The arms are often stuck on from the arms corroding and slightly bonding to the shaft. I was able to get mine off with a battery terminal puller (does anybody even know what those things are anymore?). Use some anti-sieze on the splines and next time they will be easier to remove.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
N
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
Yeah, at the base of each wiper arm is a bolt. You lift the cover at the base of each arm and there's the bolt. 10mm I think.

Then undo the bolts, lift the arm and gently rock it side to side & such to loosen it off the spline. It'll come off once you work it...gently.

"Fear is the little death." Muadib.
T
TronX Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
T
Ahh.. now that makes since.

I was trying to take them off once and paint, but the bolt would not move and that stopped me from using more force. I just didn't want to rip the bolt off and break any parts.

What direction should I turn the bult to get it off?

I should really post a picture of what it looks like now. The driver side does not make the noise on high and looks higher up and straight with the window. The passenger side is the one that is hitting the black plastic on one end and looks a little off center and a tad lower.

T
TronX Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
T
So let me get this right again.

I can pull the wiper up off the splined shaft?

And then I can move the arm further up and away from the black plastic cowl area and lock it back down?

T
TronX Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
T
Okay.. I got bored silly here at work. The passenger side bult was very loose! I just twisted it off with my hand..WTF?

Now I'm not sure how these things work all that well. But I pullled on it a little and it was loose enough to move up and down. I thought the whole thing would come off, but it didn't feel like it was going to do that. Anyway, I moved the arm up 1 1/2 inches and then put the washer and bult back on. What holds the arm in place, just this one bult??

So I then looked at the driver side and tried to move it, but it was locked in place even with the bult off and no matter how much I pulled on it. Perhaps I need to pull on it more? Not that it matters because adjusting the passenger side and locking it down with the bolt did the trick! I put some water on the glass and ran it on high without any noise!

Do you think anything here could be stripped?

How does the arm lock down? Does it have groves or plastic guides of any sort other than just pressure of the bult?

N
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
The bolt just holds the arm on the spline.
The spline is slight wider at the bottom, the arm is just held on by tension, and the bolt makes sure it stays down.

You can get that drivers side off, but if it's working now, why bother.

There's a spring in the arm that when against the windshield holds it down firmly against the glass.

Sounds like you solved the problem.

T
TronX Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Nate'sTour:
The bolt just holds the arm on the spline.
The spline is slight wider at the bottom, the arm is just held on by tension, and the bolt makes sure it stays down.

You can get that drivers side off, but if it's working now, why bother.

There's a spring in the arm that when against the windshield holds it down firmly against the glass.

Sounds like you solved the problem.

Cool, so I've fixed the problem. Dang.. had to be the most easy thing on this car ever..lol

Duh.. It's bolt not bult.
Going to edit that right now.

Thanks for the help!

N
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
Feels good to fix it yourself huh? Bet the dealer would have wanted to install all new motors & charge you out the wazoo!

T
TronX Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
T
*This post can no longer be edited because the maximum edit time has expired*

BOLT! BOLT! BOLT!
bolt "OR" bult?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1