Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1156962 01/17/05 04:09 AM
H
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
H
I'm looking at the engine bay, and how much there is to scoot the battery to the left and, there seems to be only an 1 inch, maybe a lil more. Would you guys recomend a diffrent battery that is smaller?? how much do those cost?? I've also seen a Ram air that has a plastic hose attachted to the end of the filter that goes down into the wheel well.

1995 ford contour v6 5 speed , even though its not mine yet... http://www.cardomain.com/id/hyperlitenerd
#1156963 01/17/05 07:45 PM
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by mygameisplatnum:
where does the snorkel on the SVT's get its air from i.e. where is the other end of the snokel end?

Wouldn't this be a CAI if you run an RU-3530 in a sealed box (the ol' rubbermaid gargage can everyone uses) which if done right could be sealed on the MAF on one end and sealed at the snorkel on the other end?

All the air would be forced to be sucked up through the snorkel aka cold air intake/ram air.

Any answers?

Justin 98.5 CSVT # 4887 of 6535 (born 2/28/98)
#1156964 01/17/05 08:39 PM
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Just saw that setup personally, yesterday at our SC CEG meet.. looked pretty good, and would seem to work well.

So, yes, your theory is right, it can be done, but results are still not known.

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

#1156965 01/18/05 12:59 AM
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Umm, that's the way it should be done. Remove the "silencer" (as people call it ), and seal yourself a K&N to the hood and fender. With out a heatshield it's generally a bad thing...This is how many of us have them.

I also see the term "ram air" being tossed around and absolutely nothing you guys have mentioned is remotely close to ram air.

99 SVTC, T-Red, #652/2760-12.8.1998 Mother#@%@!* did I sound abstract? I hope it sounded more confusin than that!
#1156966 01/18/05 02:01 AM
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
i'll tell you from personal experience i did not like the GMK CAI. I felt like it would run out of breath at higher RPM's...and sure enough when i put the short ram back on i swear it was quicker! With the CAI it really did feel like the gears dragged out in the upper RPM range! Soooo...

I went to Home Depot and bought a trash can and made a heat sheild...and then i took one of my pipes from the CAI and stuck it in the hole that i cut, with the hole facing out of the front bumper. Then i took a metal box i found in my garage and cut it up. I then took a cereal bowl from my kitchen and cut it too fit inside the metal box. The bowl is like a funnel that forces and air into the tube which then forces air in the engine bay and take some pics of it and post them....

1999 Cougar V6 MTX SVT UIM/LIM/65mm TB, I/H/E, Fidanza/SPEC III/Torsen, Koni/GC's, 19" Icon wheels w/ Pirelli rubber, NX Wet Kit
#1156967 01/18/05 07:41 AM
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by 99cougar:
i'll tell you from personal experience i did not like the GMK CAI. I felt like it would run out of breath at higher RPM's...and sure enough when i put the short ram back on i swear it was quicker! With the CAI it really did feel like the gears dragged out in the upper RPM range! Soooo...

I went to Home Depot and bought a trash can and made a heat sheild...and then i took one of my pipes from the CAI and stuck it in the hole that i cut, with the hole facing out of the front bumper. Then i took a metal box i found in my garage and cut it up. I then took a cereal bowl from my kitchen and cut it too fit inside the metal box. The bowl is like a funnel that forces and air into the tube which then forces air in the engine bay and take some pics of it and post them....

Dood..i have no idea what you said or could follow it but be sure to post pics of it if thats what u did.

I myself just bought a trash can from Wal-Mart and made a sealed box for my RU 3530 tonight. Man it was a PITA to make it so that it was sealed w/ my Pro Flow MAF and the snorkel. The hardest part is cutting the top and using the foam pipe isulation to seal w/ the hood. I haven't put it in yet so I'm not sure it if seals w/ the hood. I mean how can u tell if it seals perfect or not? The best way I could thnk of to cut was to draw a line that follows the top of the fender (where the hood hits the fender) on the one side and continue that line all the way around the garbage can. Hopefully this wrks well.

Anyone else do it differently?

#1156968 01/18/05 07:19 PM
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
i kinda figured it was all mumbo jumbo but yes i will try and post pics... i think it works really well when it is thirty degrees outside like it is today!

1999 Cougar V6 MTX SVT UIM/LIM/65mm TB, I/H/E, Fidanza/SPEC III/Torsen, Koni/GC's, 19" Icon wheels w/ Pirelli rubber, NX Wet Kit
#1156969 01/18/05 07:44 PM
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
I've never understood the reasoning behind taking out the stock airbox, simply to make another one out of a Rubbermaid garbage bin...

I know you get a bigger filter and a slightly bigger "airbox", but I really don't see it being THAT much better than say a K&N drop in (in the SVT airbox), performance wise. It'll sound a lot better, but without major mods is the RU-3530's extra CFM's really necessary (over the E0998)?

I myself have the CF version of the GMK. I know it's not a perfect intake solution (with the bends before the MAF) but I feel as though it'll make the best numbers.

CSVT Feels Like Heaven Goes Like Hell Profile
#1156970 01/18/05 10:50 PM
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by Bridge:
I've never understood the reasoning behind taking out the stock airbox, simply to make another one out of a Rubbermaid garbage bin...

I know you get a bigger filter and a slightly bigger "airbox", but I really don't see it being THAT much better than say a K&N drop in (in the SVT airbox), performance wise. It'll sound a lot better, but without major mods is the RU-3530's extra CFM's really necessary (over the E0998)?

I myself have the CF version of the GMK. I know it's not a perfect intake solution (with the bends before the MAF) but I feel as though it'll make the best numbers.

Well I personally have the Pro Flow 75mm MAF for the SVT attached to a KKM adaptor attached to a Ru-3530 so w/ these mods im getting considerable more air flow over stock. I also just finished making my sealed airbox to house evevrything that is attached to the snorkel. As far as horsepower increase goes w/ those mods....eh maybe 5 hrsp gain...but it can only be made better if chipped etc. Basically opens up the oportunity for more hrsp down the road. Plus allowing the engine to breath better is a plus.

#1156971 01/19/05 03:17 AM
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
Not to be rude, but its quite amusing reading about all these setups and claims, but no one has a dyno graph to back themselves up, so in reality, no one knows for sure if their setup is really working.

I know from previous cars, sticking a filter on the end of the MAF will loose you power,
A. from Hot air and B.Turbulence/Velocity.
A cold air, ie filter in the fender, will loose low end, but gain high end.

A. Ram air --true ream air, ie from bumper to throttle body will work better if correctly routed.

To be honest, unless some one can back themselves up, stay with a stock and drop in K&N.

Sorry but the "I felt a difference does not work!"

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard