Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#115611 03/17/02 06:46 PM
I
OP Offline
I
Ok guys i put my chip in(Superchip) and it does pull harder now but im wondering something. When im on WOT the car shifts at 7250 redlineing almost every time and every gear is this safe, is there or will there be any side effects later down the road. I also notice when it gets that high that the battery light flashing on. Last question i thought with a chip it made it shift at lower Rpms and not higher Am i not loseing anything by going that high into the Rpm Range.

#115612 03/18/02 03:09 AM
B
B
That battery light may mean your alternator is going bad.

Mine was comming on around 5500 rpm and the engine was going very lean when the light came on. Ford replaced it when under warranty when i took it in. Though you probably don't want to tell them its coming on at 7250 rpm. And if you take it in you may want to remove the chip.

Call superchips and ask them about the shift point, i would think they would set it to shift just past or at the peak power output, but it depends on where the torque peak is. Normally you want your shift point to drop you right on top of the torque peak in the next gear. I do think you SHOULD be concerned about it though.

Keep an eye on the light though, i bet that the Vehicle Explorer sortware from obd-2.com will show the system voltage dropping when the light comes on (as i think the system voltage is what triggers the light). I wasn't showing any codes but the o2 voltage was dropping down to .6 volts or so when the light came on.

98 SE
BAT Big Brake Kit "C", Throttle Hang Fix, B&M Shifter, Lightly Cracked Secondaries, BAT Euro Handling Kit, 20% tint, Removed Ding Strips, ES Motor Mount Inserts, Borla CatBack, Apexi SAFC, HighTower Rear Brace, BAT 19mm rear bar, MSDS Headers & Y, AFE 20-35008 filter, ClutchMasters Stage 1, Fidanza FlyWheel, SVT T.B.
====OnOrder====
svt uppers and lowers,
#115613 03/18/02 02:10 PM
H
H
i had that light come on before at high rpm , ford replaced the serp belt put a new tensioner and a revised idler pulley did nothing with the alternator and since they did that over a year ago i have never seen it again

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard