Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Also anyone thought about putting in Halos? Those are tight when at night!

E0 #4384 of 6535 Born Jan. 9 1998 My SVT from the ashes 147,466 miles, purchased Nov. 2002 @ 76,559 miles
G
Addicted CEG\'er
OP Offline
Addicted CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by CSVT985:

i think halos are only legit on BMW's

T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:

oh?

C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Now thats what I am talking about, but I will be using white halos instead of blue.

E0 #4384 of 6535 Born Jan. 9 1998 My SVT from the ashes 147,466 miles, purchased Nov. 2002 @ 76,559 miles
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
Whos car is that with the halos? They are sweet, I would pay to have a set of lights like that made!

98.5 SE 2.5L MTX - TruBendz Borla, Green Filter, SVT F/R Bumpers, E1's 95 SE 2.5 MTX - Full SVT Body w/Mirko, GC + Konis, Omp, KKM, SVT pipes, E1's, Paint Mods/Pics
S
Cool Toe Chris
Cool Toe Chris
S
Originally posted by rthoman:
Whos car is that with the halos? They are sweet, I would pay to have a set of lights like that made!

$1200 is what I remember they went for. Most if not all balked at the cost, especially when the quality was suspect. I have seen some great examples and some really crappy examples.

Chris NJ 98.5 SVT Silver Frost
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
i have halos in my fog lights...thank you Pilot Fog Lights 1069:)

2002 Cougar 2.5 duratec/ mtx-75 85,0000 Mondeo ST-200 wheels/BFG KDW NT black/black Spec Stage 1 Torsen T-2 Trubendz 2.5 flowmaster dual exaust apexi s-afc II K&N FIPK
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:

I agree. Too many riced-out Civics and Accords running around with halos, too.

ebay search for "Honda halo" resulting in 451 items confirms it.

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
Originally posted by Shaggy:
Most if not all balked at the cost

I would say when you consider he only had ~$250 in lamps inside them, throw in roughly another ~$200 in HID parts and, IIRC the buyers lamps there was a good profit made on them.

Those prices arent for bulk purchases either, which he would have done.

A one-off setup can get the price up there quickly, but mass producing them is something completely different.

Halos are easy, some clear acrylic rods, heated and bent around a tube the size you want. Notched either on the inside (facing the lamp) or on the front (facing out) and lit with two LEDs. Not hard to build knock-offs. OEM BMW pieces go for a bit more.

· Jon Miconi · Coming Soon! · 01 Cougar · 98 V70R
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
Originally posted by ExDelayed:
Halos are easy, some clear acrylic rods, heated and bent around a tube the size you want. Notched either on the inside (facing the lamp) or on the front (facing out) and lit with two LEDs. Not hard to build knock-offs. OEM BMW pieces go for a bit more.

ANGEL EYES
They came on the 2001 BMW and has been a popular design to copy. Here is a few examples of how to make them:

* 3/8 inch acrylic rods can be heat bended in a circle. In each end insert a high brightness white LED. For double the light, make 2 half circles and insert 4 LEDs instead of 2. To get the light to hit the rod, it need something to light up: Create small vertical cuts on the back with 2-3mm spacing. A dremel with a circular cutting blade is excellent to do this job. To create the best optical contact between the LED and the rod, use a 100% transparent glue or silicone.

* White 12" spaced white LED flexible arrays from Radiantz.com can be mounted around a projector headlight to make a similar appearance. Picture shows a Audi A6 projector unit embrased by the LED array inserted into a Nissan Maxima headlight. Thanks to multi talented "MGB" for these pictures.

* Home made LED array. In general, any kind of LED will do. There is a few things to consider. Colorwise, I would choose white and not the blueish white to keep the cops happy. I'd say the more LEDs you solder in there, the better will it look like a continous circle. Look for LEDs that have as high opening angle - at least 30 degrees. LEDS tend to be bright straigth ahead and very dim to the side. Also note the maximum current you can send through a LEDs at certain tempratures. A typical hi-power LED can take a max 30mA of load at room temp. On a hot summer day, inside temp of a headlight can go up to maybe 50-100 degree Celsius, all depending. At that temp, max load is maybe 10mA. So look for LEDs that can run as high current as possible at elevated temperatures. If its labled for automotive purposes, its usually a high temperature span on it.

· Jon Miconi · Coming Soon! · 01 Cougar · 98 V70R
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard