Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Did you get new plugs and wires as part of the original service? If they got the wires out of sequence I'd guess it could explain the troubles. Bucking and backfiring noises from firing out of sequence (could maybe explain the "engine trying to start backwards" comment they gave you ), and the gas soaked plugs from the tech unsucessfully trying to start it?

Or did they maybe do an oil change and try and start it with no oil (I've seen that before when I worked at an Instant Oil Change in college). Would sound VERY bad with no oil pressure, but wouldn't really explain the gas soaked plugs.

97 Contour SE MTX K&N 3530, UR UDP, 19# Injectors, mystery mod, FMS wires, Fordchip.com chip, SVT: TB, Flywheel, clutch, exhaust 04 Grand Caravan SXT
F
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by zgendron:
Glad to hear that things are working out! That's great news.

Just one thing to note. You mention that the shop is going to change the plugs for you. Make sure the replacement Spark Plugs are Double Platinum plugs!!! You'll find alot of shops try and save a few bucks by replacing the plugs with single platinum tips

Knowledge is power for sure, and without the knowledge I get from this website and the Contour listserve (both such great resources) my car would probably still be sitting unstarted and waiting for a major engine job it doesn't need!

I reminded the shop manager of the double plats. We had a hard time finding non-Ford plugs that looked and acted like Ford plugs, but found that the Autolyte double plats work fine. He asked if I'd rather have those than Ford plugs, and I picked the Fords, given the choice. I think he'll get the right plugs in but it wouldn't hurt to check, you're right!

Thanks!! Lynn

Lynn '95 Contour SE MTX, electric red, "Ferret II"
F
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by ScottK:
Did you get new plugs and wires as part of the original service?

Or did they maybe do an oil change and try and start it with no oil (I've seen that before when I worked at an Instant Oil Change in college).

Hi! They weren't supposed to do plugs, wire, or oil change as we did all that a bit ago (oil two weeks ago). It sounds like it could have flooded by being started cold, driven a very short distance, and turned off. A very experienced person on the list mentioned this as a possibility and something he's seen happen, though he said it isn't common. A flooded engine sounding like one throwing a timing chain and trying to start backward is sure a stretch, though... what a fiasco!

I'll feel better once I've driven it home tomorrow morning and all is well - can't wait to drive my little '95 'Tour MTX again!

Thanks Lynn

F
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by zgendron:
Originally posted by Ferret II:
so I've got my heart sort of hung on it being an issue with the clutch not disengaging due to air in the system, resulting in no or much less damage than a "dead engine". I am surely fond of Ferret II!

This seems strange to me though. Even if the clutch was not fully disengaged, what would cause the engine to "die." With the clutch engaged, it means the power would go to the wheels, and the car would jerk. There was no mention of a jerking action by the mechanic.

Hi. It wouldn't have caused the engine to be destroyed but might have sounded really bad, if they'd started it in first and the clutch wasn't disengaged due to air in the system. It would have sounded like starting the car in first without the clutch in, a nasty sound. It was just something to make sure hadn't happened and caused the mechanic to think the timing chain or something else in the engine had broken. (And the fact that the car didn't jerk did weaken this theory.) Turns out anyway that the engine was flooded! How that was interpreted as sounding like a potentially broken timing chain and/or grinding valves/pistons I can't really imagine! Thanks! Lynn

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
I, for one, am interested to know how the car runs when the shop is done with it. I hope you get the Ferret II back in good order!

Hooray for Janos keeping his cool! I woulda whipped out an F.U. on the spot and challenged them to explain how an oil change could have done what he described. Situation deterioration from there....

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
F
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
I, for one, am interested to know how the car runs when the shop is done with it. I hope you get the Ferret II back in good order!

Hooray for Janos keeping his cool! I woulda whipped out an F.U. on the spot and challenged them to explain how an oil change could have done what he described. Situation deterioration from there....

Next post coming is the story of how Ferret II is running. In short, GREAT!!!! I got a good laugh out of your F.U. comment. You should have heard Janos go off after we left. Those M.Fers *&*#997#O@!@!! I didn't have a clue steam was boiling to erupt from his ears, though he did start getting into it with the service manager (who hadn't made the oil comment) soon after the shop manager made the oil comment... I sort of had to pat one's arm and tug them apart. Off to finish my Ferret II drives free post! Lynn

P.S. What a gorgeous shot of your car!

F
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
F
Hi!! Ferret II runs great!!!! Very perky. They think the engine flooding occurred because the key was left turned while the brakes were flushed. Still no real idea about the racket a mechanic supposedly heard, although they mentioned the TSB on the hydraulic tensioners as possibly related to it, but that shouldn't approach the sound of an interference engine blowing a timing chain or tensioner. Anyway, my car doesn't have the telltale rattle of tensioner wear. Somehow *it seems* they mistook a flooded engine for a self-destructing one. However, after I left today I realized that one of the mechanics reminds me of a mechanic at a Ford shop involved in another big repair bungle on Ferret II a couple years back... I'm going to try and find out if it's the same mechanic - probably just my overactive imagination being paranoid.

They didn't charge for the 60K service (flushed/filled four systems, new Ford plugs due to the flooding, thorough inspection) which made me a lot better (though not nearly as good as knowing I was going to drive my car home!). I also am sure they did a good job. On the positive side, I gained knowledge about the tensioner TSB (in fact I now have a long list of all '95 Contour TSBs), though I need to check if the tensioner TSB applies to my '95, i.e. if it's an early enough '95 model. In any case, knowing to listen for a telltale tensioner rattle could some day save Ferret II's engine (and life)! On the shop's end they're getting a new service manager this week. I guess the old one stormed out after being fired yelling that he was the greatest; only been there two months and didn't seem to have any experience at all they said, despite sterling references; he'd been generating complaints.

I like the Chrysler spec ATF+3 oil in the tranny; the shift feels cleaner, at least in third and fourth; not sure about first and second yet. I need to drive more.

Today's mechanic gave me details about his inspection (he seems to have done a thorough one) and said Ferret II is in very good shape, except I have a bent left rear wheel and the bolt is off my rear exhaust heat shield. I'm too embarrassed to say what I drove over a while back, but I was really happy afterward that my car drove at all. I'm a good driver but it was the first day on a job and I was pretty nervous and distracted... okay, it was a concrete parking strip, front and rear left wheels. The car's been aligned since. I have directional tires so they couldn't rotate that tire, as they didn't want to take it off the wheel and rebalance it - hm.. - and didn't want to put the wheel on the front, saying it would vibrate. Wish I hadn't bought directionals!

They also put the balance weights back where they belong, on the inside of the wheels, so my pretty SE wheels look nice and clean again.

I do need to buy a good '95 SE wheel though, so if anyone knows of a good used one for sale please let me know. I'll check out the CEG website ads. I think they run $250 - 300 used. Maybe I can find my old Cherry Ferret, my first '95 SE, totalled by a teen while parked. State Farm bought her for the junkyard .... but would never tell me where they sold her.

It's fun knowing a little about mechanics (just enough to be dangerous). Today the mechanic that worked on my car, who I thoroughly liked, told me it has four oxygen sensors, and I said the '95 Contours have two oxygen sensors while the later models, '96 on up I was pretty sure, have four. He also said the only two things they didn't do for the 60K were the air filter and the passenger compartment filter, and I said I do those myself (nothing at all to crow about; I even broke a plastic bolt changing the pass comp filter).

I'M SO GLAD TO HAVE FERRET II BACK!!!!!!!! It's almost worth all this to feel even more appreciative of such a great little rig. Ferret II got a full tank of premium on the way home in reward .
Lynn &
'95 Ford Contour SE (V-6) MTX, 60K, electric red, "Ferret II"

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by Ferret II:
Originally posted by TourDeForce:

Next post coming is the story of how Ferret II is running. In short, GREAT!!!!

P.S. What a gorgeous shot of your car!

You should check out the Group Buy section for a 2005 CEG calendar!! Lotsa fantastic cars there! Mine was relatively stock at the time, but now.... The 2006 calendar is gonna be really nice!

Glad to hear the car is back. I was without mine for a few days in November while the dealer FUBARed it over an electrical issue. Driving something else is just no comparison. Sooo glad to be behind the wheel again.

I will do ALL of my own work from now on, dealers & shops will never touch my car again - except for tires.

Last edited by TourDeForce; 01/05/05 03:17 PM.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Wow! A true female Contour enthusiast, you are almost as rare as a dodo bird.
Welcome to CEG. What took you so long in finding this site?

Dueling Duratecs '95 SE V6 MTX 0 Mods '04 Mazda6 S Wagon '03 Kawasaki Z1000 But thus do I counsel you, my friends: distrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful! Friedrich Nietzsche
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by spgoode:
Wow! A true female Contour enthusiast, you are almost as rare as a dodo bird.
Welcome to CEG. What took you so long in finding this site?

She's been around longer than most people here, at least on the mailing list. I remember when she lost Ferret 1 to a hit and run over like 3 or 4 years ago IIRC?

97 Contour SE MTX K&N 3530, UR UDP, 19# Injectors, mystery mod, FMS wires, Fordchip.com chip, SVT: TB, Flywheel, clutch, exhaust 04 Grand Caravan SXT
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard