Print Thread
#1143401 12/31/04 04:29 PM
Z
zzzcool Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Z
Is anyone inerested in this car? the car look good and engine seems strong but dont know if GM still using their old push rod engine on these cars.

#1143402 12/31/04 04:42 PM
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
It looks nice and GM took off all the Batmobile trim from the previous model(Replaces the Grand-Am I think). But I'm not going to pay 30K for it when I could get an Accord for less.

"Eagles may soar high, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."
#1143403 12/31/04 05:46 PM
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
I think the car was released with a 2-3k rebate from the start. 30k isn't a realistic price for any midsize gm (exept the CTS) looks ok but the mags ripped on it for lack of power and handling. Go with a Mazda 6.

'03 Protege 5 MTX '02 Mazda Protege LX MTX former owner of: 96 Contour GL 2.5 ATX
#1143404 12/31/04 06:10 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
It definately looks a ton better but it's price can't be justified for others of it's class. I suppose if I were interested in it though, I'd compare it to other vehicles that are "somewhat" comparible, such as cars of the same price tag yet different or larger classes.

just my thoughts

#1143405 12/31/04 06:54 PM
D
I feel Guilty, Oh so guilty
I feel Guilty, Oh so guilty
D
I can't make the car cost much more than a fraction over 25k by completely loading it with every available option. Am I missing something? Is there a GTP version that costs 30k?

"If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit" -Mitch Hedberg
#1143406 12/31/04 07:31 PM
D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
I know a DOHC is in the pipeline.

IMO, if you must buy American, it's a pretty good looking car. With rebeats, probably a deal. I think it looks 10x better than the GrandAms.

former owner, 95 SE MTX 02 Ford Explorer
#1143407 01/01/05 12:44 AM
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
Booo, just plain booo.

2006 Mazdaspeed6 1997 Yamaha YZF1000R Thunderace 1996 Volvo 850-R
#1143408 01/02/05 04:17 AM
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by zzzcool:
Is anyone inerested in this car? the car look good and engine seems strong but dont know if GM still using their old push rod engine on these cars.

Yes, the General has dusted off one of its immortal litter of 60-degree iron-block pushrod V6's, tweaked some dimensions, hooked it up to one of the old, familiar, and reliable slushboxes, dropped it into a borderline porky FWD 'performance' sedan, and added numb electric steering. Performance figures are marginal, at best, compared to obvious import competition, and it seems Pontiac is still bent on perfecting the understeer recipe that John Deere has tuned so well through the years.

A GTP will arrive this year, with a bigger glob of pushrod iron hanging out ahead of the front axle, and may bring some amount of seriousness to the performance game with its real hydraulic steering and 3 pedals on the floor, but I'll hold my breath on any real change in the handling, as there is minimal difference at the four corners between a GT and a GTP. A DOHC 2.4L 4-pot is in the works as well, for base models.

I think the G6 is visually...not offensive. The lines aren't progressive, nor tired, but certainly clean and refreshing considering the Fisher-Price clad sedans of Pontiac yore. I would be a likely customer with less gimmickry and better engineering -- but as I see it, the best thing about the new G6 is its Milka Duno commercial. For Grand Am and Grand Prix owners, it'll likely be seen as another great sedan from Pontiac. Indeed, it's a great car for those with modest expectations.

B. Riley Melbourne, FL '01 Camry LE V6/5-spd Was: '00 Black/Tan SVT Contour #560 - Sold 3/26/03 Before that: '95 Champ/Blue Contour GL V6 ATX
#1143409 01/02/05 11:42 PM
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Here's my test drive review:

Summary: Much better than the Grand Am, but still way behind the best.

Price as Equipped: $27,500 (approx).

Exterior is actually rather bland with some Pontiac cues... it's not bad, and better than the pictures, but it's not actually good either.

Interior needs help. It's a sea of cheap black plastic and the seats are supportless slabs. The Panoramic roof was not on the test car (normal spoiler type sunroof). I prefer a traditional moonroof. The steering wheel controls have cruise control (outer) and audio (inner) on both steering wheel spokes. The Mazda6's cruise on the right, audio on the left is more sensible. The center hub is recessed, making the audio controls inconvenient. The same concave structure to the climate controls make the A/C, and recirculate buttions small and inconvenient (no auto climate). The center console only has one tier, is unlined, and has no power outlet inside. The cup holders are two small lined pockets. The left side coin holder is flimsy and unlined. The vents are similar in design to the Mazda6, but do not operate smoothly. The two stage seat heaters have a nice hot high setting. The parking brake is on the passenger side of the console.

The stereo (optional Monsoon system) is OK, a little better than the Mazda6 for bass response, even without a separate subwoofer, and a little more clarity in midbass and midrange. Treble is lacking. XM is a factory option.

Driving... the car only has a 4-speed ATX unit with manual mode. It shifts smoothly, but the car lacks torque to climb hills in high gear, leading to lots of hunting and shifting between 3rd and 4th gear, or you needing to do the shifting in manual mode. The car will not automatically upshift at redline in manual mode, though it does downshift to 1st at stops. Acceleration was adequate, but not sporty, and the engine had a tacked on sporty note which does not remain as the car revs. The car runs out of steam at about 80 mph, making acceleration leisurely in the 80-100mph acceleration test. It will get there, but it takes a while. The car also does not feel stable and confident at 100 mph.

The accelerator is really soft, while the brake is quite firm. I found this problematic for modulating the pedals in driving.

The steering is overboosted and the leather is slippery on the steering wheel. Body lean is deceptive. The seats do not hold you in place in corners, making the car seem to lean less... however it does quite a bit of bobbing in a slalom. The ride is firm, but poorly controlled, letting all sorts of surface irregularities be felt. The car is quieter than the 6, but lacks all the good driver sounds the 6 provides.

Handling is good. The tires have some grip (V rated Continentals), but the car gives up in quick corners. The turning radius is about the same as the 6, or at least seemed that way in U-turns.

The trunk is pretty small, and the seat releases (right next to each other on the right top of the trunk) were flimsy, and do not lower the seats. The rear seat lacks an armrest (cupholders are in the center console pullout) and is hard and slablike. Room was similar to my hatchback for 2 (head tight, knee adequate (a little tighter than the 6), but there isn't the width for 3 unless you dislike them (it would be tight for two and a decent armrest).

Overall... nice try, but they didn't get the job done with the G6.

Brad "Diva": 2004 Mazda 6s 5-door, Volcanic Red Rex: 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, Harbor Blue.

Link Copied to Clipboard