Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
I have a 2000 Contour SVT, and have read plenty of posts and the stickys, but I am still confused about one thing.

Most people reccommend the open element RU 3530 K&N with the MAF adaptor, but with the later model CSVT's with the tube thing that has the air blow right into the filter(not sure what it's called exactly), is that the best choice still?

I'm sure there are varying opinions on what is best, but I'm just confused on whether I should go with an open element filter like mentioned, or one of the KKM "True Sport Induction Kits" where the cold air tube is integrated into the filter's use.

Sorry for asking about a rehashed subject, I just couldn't find a definitive answer the past few months reading on and off.

-Andrew

-Andrew 2000 Black CSVT My Cardomain
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Well many people would of told you to search. But I will help you out. I have the SHO Shop CAI and I love it. But you can have the equivilent with the MAF adaptor and filter. You just need to make a heat shield. Oh and the KKM I have heard suck really bad. They have been known to implode.
-tropictour

2000 Contour SVT Tropic Green SHO Shop CAI Bassani 1999 Contour SE BAT Kit
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
i'm not sure why people say that i've had my kkm intake for over a year i drive the car every day(during the summer and fall, no winters) and have never had a problem, i love my kkm i hooked a hose from my fog light directly to the rubber adapter on the end of the filter, gives a slightly better response when cruising on the highway

"Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but STUPID lasts forever."-Aristophanes. --93 pgt,headers,intake,borla=14.9 1/4mile
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
The K&N and MAF Adaptor is definitely your best bet. Unless you like to spend MORE money and get LESS flow. The choice is obvious. And no, you don't NEED to get a heat shield, it's only recommended to avoid any heatsoak.

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
i have kkm intake on 2 contours/v6 atx/mtx for over two yrs never had a problem. just have to clean them though because they get dirty easy.

im planning on buying a another one for my gf v6 atx tour im going to try the k/n filter on her car

but kkm sounds good and improves airflow

2000 SE SPORT V6 MTX BLK MODS: KKM INTAKE DUAL EXHAUST/NO RES BOSCH+4/CHIP SHORT SHIFTER/INDIAGLO'S HVAC/DASH MESH GRILL/CLEAR CORNERS/EYELIDS
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
And no, you don't NEED to get a heat shield, it's only recommended to avoid any heatsoak.

Mark

Wrongo. Unless it never gets above 80 degrees where you live, then the heat soak will cause a loss of power over the stock set up. I have the K&N open filter with the MAF adapter. Then get a 21 quart rubbermaid wastebasket and trim it to fit for a heat shield and put some self adhesive pipe insulation around the top for a cleaner look. I have really noticed the difference now that the weather is getting colder.

TR

"Eagles may soar high, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Originally posted by TexasRealtor:
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
And no, you don't NEED to get a heat shield, it's only recommended to avoid any heatsoak.

Mark

Wrongo. Unless it never gets above 80 degrees where you live, then the heat soak will cause a loss of power over the stock set up. I have the K&N open filter with the MAF adapter. Then get a 21 quart rubbermaid wastebasket and trim it to fit for a heat shield and put some self adhesive pipe insulation around the top for a cleaner look. I have really noticed the difference now that the weather is getting colder.

TR

Evidently you haven't studied up on the art of READING!! I didn't say that putting a heatshield is a bad thing. I simply stated that it ISN'T NECESSARY!! I actually have a heatshield but took it off. I'd like to make something a little better looking, although mine did look pretty decent. I live in Indiana, and temperatures hit 80's only for about a month, and only for about 4 hours out of the day.. I personally am working during those hours and rarely drive the SVT as it is.. I drive it on the weekends and usually at night to a local hangout.. But I stand by original post that it's not NEEDED, as your car isn't going to die, or blowup due to a lack of heatshield.. You may notice a ~5HP decrease without it though, if it's nearing 80 degrees.

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
I have done plenty of reading about the subject, I just personally did not understand how a filter sitting in the engine compartment without cold air blowing from the outside would perform better than something that integrates the cold air tube on the 2000 SVT models.

Or by making a heatshield, will that air from the outside still blow into the surrounding area of the filter and help it out?

One other question, are those aluminum tubes that replace the stock accordian type tubing on the connection between engine and filter make a performance difference? Or is that mainly for aesthetics? I don't want to have to spend a lot of unneeded money just for looks in my engine compartment, as I am rarely showing my engine to anyone.

-Andrew 2000 Black CSVT My Cardomain
K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
Those alum. pipes are straight all the way through. The accordian one narrows as it gets to the throttle body and is narrower that the straight pipes.

'00 T-Red TourSE 2.5L ATX Foglight Mod,Optimized Y-Pipe & TB, FSVT F/P,RU-3530 http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/688552
D
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
D
k&n will net you a whopping 1-2 extra hp. kkm isnt crap but if you havn't upgraded yet might as well get the k&n. not sure if the tube connected to the kkm helps at all with drawing in cooler air, but im sure it doesnt hurt. kkm might imploded when you get a 3L or something that really needs a lot of flow, but i've never seen it implode on a stock 2.5L (not saying that it CANT happen). regardless I hear the green filter is the best anyways

Goonz12: <---tries on mommy's cloths

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard