Print Thread
#1134562 12/19/04 06:45 AM
C
CLASSVT Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Just fishing for ideas here... Earlier I was driving through downtown and traffic was pretty backed up. After clearing the busiest of the downtown area there was room to "stretch out" if you will. So in 2nd gear I gave her some gas and everything was normal until the car just turned off. Stereo and lights and all were still on, but the damn engine just died. No sputtering or anything like that, just like I had turned the key. Pushed the clutch in and it started right back up while rolling. Drove perfectly all the way back home. Very strange, considering my car is usually very well-behaved. Something similar had happened about two weeks ago, but it ended up being a blown #4 fuse. Replaced it with a 20 Amp and everything was fine. This time a fuse didn't blow, but does anybody have ideas as to what would cause this? Thank you in advance for any input.

99 Black SVT -3L Hybrid w/.5mm overbore, Spec clutch/flywheel, MSDS, BAT intake, K&N open, 17'Konig Tantrums, DMD, Opt. TB & Y, Powerslots, Bassani w/ magnaflow res. 96 SE MTX- "The War Wagon" "I'm in love with my car..." -Queen
#1134563 12/19/04 10:21 PM
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Do a search on the forums, theres millions of posts of contours doing this for one reason or another. Chances are something with your fuel line, either a really really dirty fuel filter or a bad fuel pump. How much gas was in the tank?h

The greatest stealth car ever... CSVT 1998 2.5L V6 MTX KKM intake with BAT pipe Magnaflow resonator other Audio enhancements
#1134564 12/20/04 07:55 PM
C
CLASSVT Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Yeah thanks, I actually searched before I posted. There is really nothing that resembles what I am experiencing. There's a lot of fuel pump and O2 sensor posts, but nothing that was specifically taylored to my issue. I have no CEL, and the car runs purrrfectly outside of this small incident.

99 Black SVT -3L Hybrid w/.5mm overbore, Spec clutch/flywheel, MSDS, BAT intake, K&N open, 17'Konig Tantrums, DMD, Opt. TB & Y, Powerslots, Bassani w/ magnaflow res. 96 SE MTX- "The War Wagon" "I'm in love with my car..." -Queen
#1134565 12/21/04 06:38 PM
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Well then don't worry about until it becomes a serious problem. Mine did it once just coasting down a hill, but it hasn't done it since, so it was some sort of fluke i guess. Nothing to wet my pants over for sure

The greatest stealth car ever... CSVT 1998 2.5L V6 MTX KKM intake with BAT pipe Magnaflow resonator other Audio enhancements
#1134566 12/21/04 06:50 PM
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
I had that issue and it happened about 4 times in a week. All happened while turning the wheels in a hard corner.

If you were just going straight it probably wasnt what I was experiencing - but my fuel pressure was lost in the hard cornering and so the engine just died, no sputtering or anything. So maybe you gave it so much gas your fuel pressure spiked (from a faulty fuel pump letting too much in) and the engine tried to compensate and reduced it too much? To this date I havent had the problem since I replaced my fuel filter, and that was at 90,000 miles, now Im at 121,000 miles and it runs great with the exception of "Too Lean" CEL which I could care less because I still pass emissions every year and my gas mileage is still spot on from the day I purchased the car....

I would seriously look at your fuel filter and/or pump. Or at least take it out and gun in all the way to 6K through each gear (except 5th - thats like 140 mph) and see if it has problems
Good luck!

E0 #4384 of 6535 Born Jan. 9 1998 My SVT from the ashes 147,466 miles, purchased Nov. 2002 @ 76,559 miles
#1134567 12/22/04 06:55 AM
C
CLASSVT Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Minter66:
Or at least take it out and gun in all the way to 6K through each gear (except 5th - thats like 140 mph)

Yeah, I do that every time I take it out. It hasn't shown any other symptoms of it being the fuel filter or fuel pump, or at least any obvious ones. Very random indeed.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard