Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
simple as above! I will just explain what its doing,

ok, on long drives.. going about 80-100 km/h is quite interesting, from a stop... when I give it half throttle... as soon as the car goes into 4th gear, the tourqe convertor locks on instantly.. like that feeling of a 5th gear? the problem is, as soon as the car goes into 4th, it engages INSTANTLY... and the car sounds like its boggin! then it gets worse! once im cruising along at 80km/h-100km/h the car will constantly disengage and engage the tourqe convertor (at least thast what I beleive it is) I can hear the RPM's jump up... then jump back down, then up, then down... every 2-5 minuits or so!

then the famous O/D light will sometimes flash! once that happens all hell breaks loose! I come to a stop and when accelerating the car will SLAM, and I mean SLAM into the gears! to the point where it acually will chirp the tires slightly. it hits into 2nd so damn hard everyones heads in the car snap back! once I shut off the car for the night it usually goes away! its very random! when the o/d light flashs... but the tourqe convertor thing.. it does it all the time! drives me insane!

tranny is dieing in my opinion! just want to hear what you guys have to say! thanks!

Medeiros!

1997 Civic CX (lsvtec,el frontend,fast, nuff said)
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Anyone?

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
If it is not slipping, chances are it's just a sensor that is going bad. Don't dispair. PM /e-mail Unisys12 with your symptoms & he should be able to offer some guidance.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
maybe it has something to do with your shift sensor?

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
The reason your trans shifts hard when the O/D flahses is because line pressure is automatically raised up in all types of driving, it enters "fail safe" mode.

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by HITMANinMI:
The reason your trans shifts hard when the O/D flahses is because line pressure is automatically raised up in all types of driving, it enters "fail safe" mode.

Doesn't help solve the problem, but thanks.

Like I said, the tranny components appear to be strong based on the description of the problem, so an electronic fault is likely the cause.

Phil will be able to narrow it down better than I, so I'll leave it to him & the other CD4E gurus to offer up the appropriate trouble-shoot/suggestions.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
sweet, so my tranny is ok then

U
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Originally posted by Mad_Medeiros:
sweet, so my tranny is ok then

Yep! You have a sensor problem. You will have to take it to a shop, that can read the data stream, to find out what is actually going wrong. At the sametime, they will be able to read the code for what is happening.

You still need to get it checked out though, because running around in Fail Safe Mode for too long can kill the tranny.

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard