Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
i do about 90% city driving and i seam to get at least 500 km per tank and i am alaways hard on acceleration and i am constantly in stop and go traffic. is your car idleing high or somthing perhaps you should take out the ignition and the ecc memory fuse to reset your computer. remember that if you do this you eill need to let your car relearn its idle which is outlined in your owners manual

RIP Frank Foreman. March 15 2005. died in a tragic car crash at the age of 18.<Drive Safe> 1995 Contour gl Zetec auto. 178000km
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by realslimshaver:
i do about 90% city driving and i seam to get at least 500 km per tank and i am alaways hard on acceleration and i am constantly in stop and go traffic. is your car idleing high or somthing perhaps you should take out the ignition and the ecc memory fuse to reset your computer. remember that if you do this you eill need to let your car relearn its idle which is outlined in your owners manual

Dayamn! Is that with a V6? I know you're a 'local' (compared to Guelph), but I think I hate you already! Naah, just kidding!!! But seriously, that's the kind of mileage I thought I'd get too. I did try to reset the computer (both ways- the battery for an hour, or the two fuses) and idle is at 750, on the nose.

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
I really don't know what to say...I mean I have heard of gas stations putting extra cleaners in the gas during the winter, this may induce your economics a tad, but wow, you guys are pulling awful numbers. Did this occur recently, or was it progressive? i.e. after it got cold, did your numbers start going down hill? Also, are you guys pulling any codes, i.e. running in lean mode? I, myself, do not know what to suggest for your guys' situation, perhaps someone w/more experience will chime in! Good luck guys!

99 Black Contour SE Sport
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
timstour, u and i are in the same boat.. i too lack in low end power... and i agree, if my performance was better i wouldnt mind the fuel consumption as much.

as for the main cat...could i have it pulled off and checked for fairly cheap? or at least replaced with a straight pipe temporarily to test the benefits? economy or perforamnce, i'll take whichever, but both would be preffered!

uim.. forgive me for being slow.. but what is the 'on the engine' method of cleaning? or any method cleaning for that matter?

98 cabernet red Mystique ATX LS sport Duratec hit up my Car Profile for details
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by desiboy1530:
uim.. forgive me for being slow.. but what is the 'on the engine' method of cleaning? or any method cleaning for that matter?

Here is the info. Haven't tried this myself yet, but I would rather do this first than take off the manifold. (With my luck, if I did take it off, I'd strip the bolts!)

http://contour.org/mods/mods.php?s=howto&displayid=43

Plus there's lots of advice and variations on how to do this from Big Jim in the forums. I figure try it, and if it doesn't work, then pull off the manifold for cleaning. One thing, on this forum, the guys will 'walk the walk and not just talk the talk' so to speak. Lots of friendly helpful people, and if asked right, some of them will actually drive over to help you out!

As far as the cat, that's my next job, after the tstat. I dont wanna spend like $400 for the Ford cat, so I might buy a universal (about C$140) and get a small shop to fit it. That's probably the cheapest (legal) option I can think of.
I'm not gonna gut the precats yet though. I know some people have had issues passing the emissions tests with gutted precats.

Good luck.
Tim

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by ancientsanskrit:
I really don't know what to say...I mean I have heard of gas stations putting extra cleaners in the gas during the winter, this may induce your economics a tad, but wow, you guys are pulling awful numbers. Did this occur recently, or was it progressive? i.e. after it got cold, did your numbers start going down hill? Also, are you guys pulling any codes, i.e. running in lean mode? I, myself, do not know what to suggest for your guys' situation, perhaps someone w/more experience will chime in! Good luck guys!

Sounds like desi and I are in the same boat. I don't think its the gas. RealSlimShaver probably uses the same exact gas stations as I do, and he's getting at least 500 per tank, with 'spirited' performance. Hoping he'll tell us how!

For me, summer (warm fall, actually- only got the car in September) is always better mileage than winter, but not significantly so. (Maybe 1 or 2 mpg). For me and it sounds like Desi did this too, I changed the components that were giving the CELs (good old O2 sensors, and various other bits) and I have no hard or pending codes. I assume Desi is the same.

Hey, maybe we got the ones made on Tuesday after (US) Thanksgiving! (Hung-over workers, etc) Mines 11/97, so its worth a thought!

Cheers,
Tim

K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
well i have a 4-banger 96 contour with 217,000 kms, and an automatic trans. I get about 400kms per tank in city and 650kms a tank on highway. Well i didnt run it dry and measure, just noticed in city i got 100kms for 1/4 tank and 325kms on 1/2 tank when i went on the highway. And my car doesnt even run well either :-S

96 Contour GL 2.0L 4banger w/auto tranny @ 218,800kms
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by timstour:
Originally posted by realslimshaver:

Dayamn! Is that with a V6? I know you're a 'local' (compared to Guelph), but I think I hate you already! Naah, just kidding!!! But seriously, that's the kind of mileage I thought I'd get too. I did try to reset the computer (both ways- the battery for an hour, or the two fuses) and idle is at 750, on the nose.

realslimshaver has a ZETEC not a Duratec, read his signature!

1996 2.5LT V6 Contour ATX My Tour+help/info pics E0 rims, Gutted Pre-Cats,CTA Custom Exhaust & Intake, Diablo Chip.
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Yup. My bad! Also, no A/C would prevent extra gas usage too! (Sigh) I'm an idiot sometimes...

K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
    I hate to kill the party guys but i don't know how you could possibly get that bad of mileage. I have a sort of fix for your low end problem though. I have a 99 spt v6 5speed and yes there was quite a bit of low end weakness when i bought it...stock. I did two things the first is up to you its free but youll here the engine a lot. remove the silencer in the intake. that will help just a little. second this is the must do car sounds better but also has a lot more low end. I split the rear exhaust at the rear axle into a ypipe (dual exhaust) and put a flowmaster 40series muffler on each side. The minute i rolled out of the shop i noticed there was almost literally no need to apply throttle to get the car moving just slowly (not snail slow) let out the clutch and it would go (never stalled). that cost me $360.00 period.(labor the whole shibang) That sorted the low end problem out and I have noticed a small increase in gas mileage(what i used to get without the AC on i now can easily get with it on full blast!) anyway hope that helps but i still cant figure how you are getting such low mileage i get at least 200 "miles" per tank. and i fill up at quarter tank(10-11 or so gallons from the 14 gal tank) and when i say the least im talking about when i drive lead footed (also parking lot racing yes organized and fully legal) with AC on! (long story short AC comp. pump clutch crapped out on me AC on full all the time was the only temp fix i could find) anyway I thought that was bad gas mileage. If i baby the thing i can get in excess of 250 miles per tank in city driving. well hope you find a solution and if you do please someone tell me what in the world it was you guys got me fooled. hope the exhaust thing helps feedback would be great. cheers

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard