Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
i've done everything i could think of to fix this problem.
full tune up, spark plugs, wires, air and fuel filter. i gas up only at stations with cleansing additives, tried high octane, low, medium... just to see if there is a difference. check my tire pressure, oil change done recently, and done every 3 months. drove like grandma for a week... no effect. the dealer replaced my O2 sensor bank 1, IAC and IMRC controller 2 months ago, and last week my crank position sensor was changed cause i couldnt get the beast started. i've had this poor mileage issue since i bought the car a year ago. dealer tells me they have no idea (but i dont think they really looked into it), local mechanic says that its normal for V6.
250 - maybe 300 KILOMETERS to a tank (155 - 185 miles).and thats summertime, it gets hella worse in the winter.

BTW: I got 104000km on it, bought at 88000km. and dealer says the cats are good (i'm assuming they didnt really look into that either, they just fix what the codes tell em.)NO CELS for now.

but any insight u guys might have, aside from "sell it" will greatly be appreaciated

98 cabernet red Mystique ATX LS sport Duratec hit up my Car Profile for details
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
I cleaned my intake manifold and flushed the injectors at school and that helped my mileage quite a bit.

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
200-250 km is normal for me and always has been.
Car now has 136,000 km on it.
I've done everything I can do to up the millage, but so far nothing has helped.
Gas was 63.2 cents/LT today though.

1996 2.5LT V6 Contour ATX My Tour+help/info pics E0 rims, Gutted Pre-Cats,CTA Custom Exhaust & Intake, Diablo Chip.
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Try a good injector cleaner. I think it was BigJim, who came up with this idea, but try this: Put some injector cleaner into the fuel filter, so that it'll go directly to the injector w/o the whole issue of the cleaner evaporating in the gas tank. Make sure you use a good cleaner, I would recommend Chevron Techron (I've personally used this, and it helped), Redline, there are a few other, but I can't remember off the top of my head. You can find these at your local auto-store. It is a bit expensive, for Techron, I just payed $6.99 (however I got it from Pepboys, and they had a buy one get one free deal with the purchase of their one dollar calendar). By the way, I'm desi as well Good to see some fellow desis on this site!

99 Black Contour SE Sport
N
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
N
chongo:
200-250 km is normal for me and always has been.
Car now has 136,000 km on it.
I've done everything I can do to up the millage, but so far nothing has helped.
Gas was 63.2 cents/LT today though.

I have the V6 with the MTX, doing mix city and highway and pushing the car a bit and i do about 350km with a full tank.

87 octane with almost 108000km and no mods.

Nic.

Contour 99 MTX V6 fully loaded, stock with 110000km. Illuminated sunroof switch. About to do the mystique rear dome light conversion with eyeball dome light.
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by ancientsanskrit:
Try a good injector cleaner.

Not sure about desiboy1530, but I clean the UIM/LIM twice a year and have also run
berrymans12 trough the whole system including the engine and egr tube recently.
Cleaned with with many fuel additives before with no luck.

I have no operating issues and my cars runs like a dream.

Originally posted by Nic_ContourSE99:

I have the V6 with the MTX, doing mix city and highway and pushing the car a bit and i do about 350km with a full tank.

87 octane with almost 108000km and no mods.

Nic.

My best was this past summer all highway 450km. I've modded my car for the better, but millage hasn't changed.

Last edited by chongo; 12/14/04 12:28 AM.

1996 2.5LT V6 Contour ATX My Tour+help/info pics E0 rims, Gutted Pre-Cats,CTA Custom Exhaust & Intake, Diablo Chip.
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
I have a 97 ZETEC ATX and it gets bad gas mileage when its warm it gets about 220-250 MPG (about 355-400 KPG) and now since its getting colder I'm at like 170-180 MPG (270-290 KPG) and its at a quarter tank left! I dont know whats up thats weak for a 4 banger I calculate I should get about over at least 300 MPG or greater (482 KPG) well of course this is mostly city driving too, so if anyone has any suggestions let me know, thanks.

Jason G. 1997 Mercury Mystique GS ZETEC ATX Born: 11/96
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by mystique97:
I have a 97 ZETEC ATX and it gets bad gas mileage when its warm it gets about 220-250 MPG (about 355-400 KPG) and now since its getting colder I'm at like 170-180 MPG (270-290 KPG) and its at a quarter tank left! I dont know whats up thats weak for a 4 banger I calculate I should get about over at least 300 MPG or greater (482 KPG) well of course this is mostly city driving too, so if anyone has any suggestions let me know, thanks.

Not to be facetious, but I'm assuming its miles per tank, not per gallon! Cuz if you get that kind of mpg, I'll buy your car for double what you want for it!

Seriously, our US brethrin seem to get roughly the same miles per tank as we do clicks. We're not so much colder, so why do we do so poorly? From most of the posts I've read, we should be getting something like 500km per tank as 'normal'. Anything else, well, just bites!

BTW, I get about 400km a tank if its highway, but it can drop to 300 for a city tank. I think thats pretty crappy, since my other car (Nissan) gets that with a much smaller tank. I'm starting to wonder if I have bad cats, or a screwed computer, yadda, yadda.

Anyhoo, you have my sympathies.

D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
i did get 600km to my tank once...put my car on cruise in the late evening (no traffic on the road) all the way down to jersey @ 110km steady all the way with only one stop (the border)

seriously though.. it took forever to get there.. i didnt try to pass anyone...i shouldnt have to drive like that to get great mileage.

that injector cleaner in the fuel filter idea sounds like something i can try.. as for cleaning the uim/lim.. not to sure how to do that.. now keep in mind, if i need a ratchet... i aint doin it myself if its something i can spray in to the manifold like throttle body cleaner.. i'm gung ho!

and as for sympathies. thanks but solutions is what i'm lookin for..lol

98 cabernet red Mystique ATX LS sport Duratec hit up my Car Profile for details
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by desiboy1530:
...and as for sympathies. thanks but solutions is what i'm lookin for..lol

So am I. But meantime, we can feel a little sorry for ourselves, can't we?

Mines a 98SE 2.5 ATX, 130000Km, btw.

Dunno if you have any power issues as well. Not exactly thread hijacking, but similar problems may result in crappy fuel economy AND a bogging engine. I wouldn't mind the fuel consumption so much, if I had the power. So...

Actually, been trying to diagnose (fuel use) for a while. Some thoughts so far (haven't tried em all, but I'm working on it) No particular order...

No CELs now. So, it shouldn't be running at the 'backup' setting. New O2 sensors got rid of my CELs.Also, have new OEM wires and plugs, and PCV valve.

Dragging rear/parking brake (drum)? Not enough to steer the car on stopping, but enough to slow it a little. (Doubtful- cant hear any real grind, but the car is a sod to push, but then, its a heavy car!)

UIM dirty? I'm gonna try the 'on the engine' method, but my tb is pretty clean, so I dunno what that will do. (EGR passages behind TB may be blocked though, which wont help.)

Weak fuel pump? Car does bog down on low fuel, but it isn't particularly good on a full tank either.

CPS? I know I have intermittent starting issues, so I'm gonna replace the CKS, and for C$30, may as well do the CPS as well.

IMRC- not worried. I'm looking for power before the secondaries open.

Blocked main cat? - this seems most likely. Not Precat, since I have no codes hard or pending. But I feel like I'm driving through mud all the time, and if the cat is blocked, it might cause the engine to lose power/use more fuel.

Engine running too cold? - again, may leave the A/F and timing in the 'startup' setting, which is rich by default. So, a new T-stat this week.

Good job I like puzzles, otherwise I'd have torn my hair out by now!

BTW, not saying that this will necessarily improve the fuel efficiency, but it might help to get the power you'd expect with that much fuel consumption. Personally, I'd settle for sedate performance, if I was getting over 30MPG.

Hope this helps. And if you find a fix, lemme know!

Good luck,
T

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard