Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
B
well after resetting the cel in my mothers car of a P0420 the weekend before thanksgiving, it has come back this past week

there are no other codes and I monitored the exhaust sensors and compaired to my 99 and they seem the same.

now I am going to assume that with such a short time between cels for a P0420 that it is definately the cat that is bad

now the federal warrenty covers all the work that needs to be done? I know we might have to pay a diognostic fee, but other wise we don't have to pay anything right? also did anyone else have a hard time getting the dealer to cover this? the light is on now but I don't know how long it will stay on as last time it was only on for a day before it turned off

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Mine was all free includeing the diagnostic fee.

Tony Datsenko
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
the federal warranty will cover evertthing....they only time you should have to pay the diagnosis fee is if the cause of the CEL was was not due to any part of the emmission's system.

02 sensors should even be covered as they are part of the emmisions system.

Lupe

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
A
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
A
Back in MI I had a very hard time arguing w/ a stealership and finally gave up. It was always pending code though, never elevated to orange so to speak.

I didn't have any performance issues, just the same code as you and it always took very loooooong to complete readiness tests. After I moved to NJ the car passed emissions w/ flying colors (which means nothing, cause it would do that even w/o precats) and finally ended its life on insurance company tow truck all w/ original precats. So I'm guessing may be dealer was right after all.

I know what I'd do if my '98 starts popping 420. Hint: it has nothing to do w/ emission warranty.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Brapple, they STILL won't honor this for me, either.

I think it's my entire problem with my car in my other post;
the guy who put my exhaust on was real nice and checked up on other stuff he had done to make sure it's a-ok. He recognized and gave me some recall info. I took the sheet to Ford and they said there is no such recall in the database.

I'm pretty ticked.

M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
I took mine in to the dealer for something else, and they volunteered the info on my 420 code, and replaced everything for free. I was floored by their honesty, and I've given them repeat business. Lamoureux Ford, Brookfield, MA.

Old car: '98 SVT T-Red K&N air filter; Ford Focus RS shift knob. Off to be auctioned off somewhere. New car: 2003 Honda Accord DX Sedan, 5-speed.
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
I wonder if I pull up with the code being thrown they'll cough up the replacement?

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I'll tell you about my experience with that warranty...

I KNEW my cats were bad before I took it into the dealership. How did I know? The exhaust rattled, so I dropped the ypipe and chunks of the catalyst came out. So I bagged it up. Once I took it the dealership (I didn't show them the stuff) they said the cats were 'fine'. I asked, how can they be fine if I have chunks of them in a baggie? So, I took the chunks in and after about 15 minutes, they agreed to replace the cats. 500 miles later the motor went south due to it being 2 1/2 qts low on oil due to the dealer...yes I should have checked the oil level.

Ryan Trollin!
I
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
I
Well i will let you know what happens as i have just threw the same code. Im hopeing this is why im cars been running like crap. Im takeing it to ford on monday.

Team Evo Staz: You know why they call it Skunkworks? Everyone: Why? Staz: Because everything that comes out of it stinks!!! Steeda-I hate you stazi
B
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
B
thanks for telling me about what you guys went through with this, I just want to send my parents in the right direction about this

any other thoughts about why the first time the cel turned on for a day then went off again, it was in teh computer as a stored code, then and now

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard