Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1114404 11/24/04 09:40 PM
A
Addicted CEG\'er
OP Offline
Addicted CEG\'er
A
Alright, there isnt really anything wrong with the car, its driving in the snow that is worrying me today... I lost control of my car 3 times today, durning all of last winter, I lost control ONCE, and all it was was a stright forward slide ALMOST into someone rear bumper, I was smart enough at the time to stear twords the curb before collision could occur. As I did the same today twice. Comeing home on US-10 (nobody else on the road). I completely loose control and my car slides 90 degrees to the left (basically the front and rear end of my car are taking up both lanes.) LUCKILY nobody else was on the road, so no damage occured. I get back into midland, coming off the exit im doing about 15 miles per hour, I push the clutch in, and LIGHTLY tap the brakes to slow down, and BOOM traction compltely gone, HAD there not been dirt and grass after the pavement, I would have gone straight into a direction marker, and into a ditch. NO damage again, didnt get stuck. Continue on my way home, traffic is now getting heavier, Light turns red, I push my brakes down (definately to hard for the weather) and this time I Durfed and hit the clutch to late, My engine stalled. I had no power anything, I manage to miss the truck in front of me by about a foot, and go over the curb (using 2 tires) into a small vacant parking lot. I get stuck for 10 minutes trying to back out back into traffic, I then pull back out into traffic, THEN when making a turn down my residental road, I take the car out of gear and apply the brakes, and DEAD slide again twords the curb, Stop about 4 feet from the curb, and continue down the street, no more problems after that. I also noticed that even on take off, I couldnt for the life of me not peel out, Lightest tap of the gas peal would have those tires spinning forever, I couldnt even get into my driveway without spinning the tires. its an extremely wet snow.

Here is my inquery. Over the summer I bought SVT E1 Cobra style rims from Zoomin3L for 300$ with BFG Comp T/A tires on them, The main reason I didnt go aftermarket was because I wanted these rims to be yearround, so I didnt want to have to deal with swapping them seasonally. my 14 inch steelies have hankook (dont know the exact number) tires on them. Do the BFG Comp t/a Tires just absolutely suck for snow driving?

And any input on methods I can use to keep traction up? Any shift methods or anything?

Last edited by ALIAS Jerk; 11/24/04 09:45 PM.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
#1114405 11/24/04 10:17 PM
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
i would recomend putting your steelys back on, because they are thinner tires they would cut through the snow instead of going over it. Also most summer tires suck in the snow, although i'd look them up on tire rack and see what others think. but as for driving tips, all i have for snow is don't break while turning especially when entering the turn. also ride the clutch through the turn and downshift when you have straightend out.

Last edited by Dark Sport; 11/24/04 10:18 PM.

Tony Datsenko
#1114406 11/24/04 10:43 PM
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Today will be my first time with the Contour in the snow...

I hope 225/50/16 falken 512s are ok in snow.

Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoSho:
Can u ask him to measure his shaft and compare it to your shaft?

#1114407 11/24/04 11:45 PM
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by BlackBirdRacing:

I have these tires also. I was told by the place that put them on they should be fine in the snow. But he couldn't say for sure because they are such a new tire. My dad had '96 SE V6 for three winters and he said nothing but snow tires on the contour. With the combo of a light car and lots of torque, it just doesn't work well will all season tires.

So I found a deal I couldn't pass up for winter tires and 1996 SE wheels(the really light ones).

In my opinion, if you are unsure about driving with all season tires, just get snows, it will be worth the investment to keep your contour on the road and avoid collisons.

Just my 2 cents.

This reminds me, I should really(!!) get my snow tires balanced and put on the car. Stupid Ottawa weather!

Brian W.
--------------------
Black 1998 SE 5 speed - TOTALLED
#1114408 11/25/04 01:39 AM
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
I lost control alot today!!!!!!!!!

My ABS got a workout, my Traction Control got a workout, and fishtailing and doughnuts was fun

Your nearby, this is icy-snow, of course you may loose control easier than snow that isnt all icy....

Former owner of a 1995 Ford Contour GL w/ 2.0L ATX Proud owner of a 2005 Ford Taurus SE 3.0L V6 Vulcan --Looking for Commodore stuff (Drives, Units, Amiga, games, etc)If anyone has any of this laying around and wants it gone, lemme know --
#1114409 11/25/04 01:56 AM
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Contours are bad in snow. We had about 6 inches since noon today. I had to go to the store, every left turn you lost it. I almost hit the curb and several cars several times, every time you took off it would like slip, but once you get to like 20 then it is fine WTF is with that, Contours arent good at all for snow.

#1114410 11/25/04 03:09 AM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by HITMANinMI:
Contours are bad in snow. We had about 6 inches since noon today. I had to go to the store, every left turn you lost it. I almost hit the curb and several cars several times, every time you took off it would like slip, but once you get to like 20 then it is fine WTF is with that, Contours arent good at all for snow.

chances are it is your tires, get some snow tires and you will be able to take on just about anything, my car is great in the snow, both abs and tc are predictable and the car is very balanced

get some driving in on a uncleared parking lot where you can learn the dynamics of your car and how it reacts in the snow. cause the rear end to come around and see what it feels like and learn the car, then let us know how the car is in the snow, I think you will be suprised when you know what the car can do

edit: two more things, I wouldn't have gone out in the storm, not sure that you did but it sounds like it, that is not a good idea unless you really have too

second anything will spin the wheels in the snow from a stop. often when you stop you get snow packed under the wheels, if you get to agressive taking off you just spin in the snow and dig through to the pavement

Last edited by brapple; 11/25/04 03:15 AM.

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
#1114411 11/25/04 03:13 AM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by BlackBirdRacing:

as long as they are M/S rated, meaning they were designed to be used in snow

by far snow tires will be better hands down over a all season tire because it has to compromise to be good in the good weather and the bad weather

my father said after he got snow tires on his car it was like driving down a prefectly clear and dry road in the snow, just at a lower speed

now I put some three year used tires, this was there third year last winter and they out performed my all season tires compaired to the winter before that and they were only half worn

again I would stress learning what you car does in the snow, after it snows go to a school or other parking lot before they clear it and learn what the car does when you set it into a spin, learn to correct out of it, and see what you can and can't do safely. not only will this prepare you for stuff you might encounter while driving it should help your driving over all

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
#1114412 11/25/04 03:20 AM
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Make sure the tires on the back arn't as worn as the front too. If the back have less tread than the front, your back end will want to come out, why I have no idea. My Comp T/A's are ok in the snow, they only slide if I make them or do something stupid. Mine have about a little less than 1/2 tread left too. As for brake lock up, good luck with that.

95 LX-with a mind of its own 24v DOHC SVT exhaust and K&N=all thats worth modding Go Fighting Sioux!!!
#1114413 11/25/04 04:01 AM
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by brapple:
Originally posted by HITMANinMI:

chances are it is your tires, get some snow tires and you will be able to take on just about anything, my car is great in the snow, both abs and tc are predictable and the car is very balanced

get some driving in on a uncleared parking lot where you can learn the dynamics of your car and how it reacts in the snow. cause the rear end to come around and see what it feels like and learn the car, then let us know how the car is in the snow, I think you will be suprised when you know what the car can do

edit: two more things, I wouldn't have gone out in the storm, not sure that you did but it sounds like it, that is not a good idea unless you really have too

second anything will spin the wheels in the snow from a stop. often when you stop you get snow packed under the wheels, if you get to agressive taking off you just spin in the snow and dig through to the pavement

Actually the back tires have about 2000 miles on them, and the fronts are going out the door next month. I have all season tires on the back and not sure about the fronts.

Secondly it was snowing when I went out, not a good idea I know but kind of had to go someplace.

Anyways I do know how to drive in snow, I have had my license for about 2 years and since I live in Michigan I get a lot of practice in it.
My car is different from yours no ABS no TC, and that may be why I think it isnt that good of a car in snow, on a nice summer day this thing handles great.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard