Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1109462 11/18/04 07:11 PM
G
Addicted CEG\'er
OP Offline
Addicted CEG\'er
G
Yea I asked the tire people to check out my possenger side wheel well to see this ratling noise I was getting, they said it was my front sway bar links were broken and I need new bushings, they said $206 is this somthing I could do myself and get the parts by myself?? thanks guys

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
I would say it's more likely the links than the bushings. The links are cheap from Ford (cheaper than aftermarket!) and it can be done in under an hour if you have the tools, and the nuts aren't rusted.

98 Silver Frost SVT 97 BMW 540I Sport, six speed "Blue is for sky, black is for soil, and white is for simplicity, purity and hope for the future" "A coveted car should never stunt your life, but should make it more rich and interesting."
G
Addicted CEG\'er
OP Offline
Addicted CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by Phil Rohtla:
I would say it's more likely the links than the bushings. The links are cheap from Ford (cheaper than aftermarket!) and it can be done in under an hour if you have the tools, and the nuts aren't rusted.

well what am I looking at for tools?? like what do I need?

A
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
A
for front links: nothing special. 15mm socket, 17mm open wrench, lots of wd40... may be something else I'm forgetting. remember that both wheels should be off the ground so as not to load the sway bar.

for front sway bar bushings: you will need a lot more mainly because the subframe needs to be lowered. ratchet box wrench will help, but it's gonna be a PITA anyway. 21mm socket, 3" extension, torque wrenche capable of measuring 96 ft-lb just for the subframe bolts. if you replace your bushings w/ stockers you have a hope of sliding old ones out and pushing new back in w/o removing the bracket bolts completely.

G
Addicted CEG\'er
OP Offline
Addicted CEG\'er
G
I do need it for the front ones, all in all how much am I looking at for parts like brushings and links?? Plus the tire person wasnt sure if that would affect my alignment that I just got done today. will it? and second of all, where the hell is the front sway bar?!?!? I have no idea where it is I know I'm patheticc

A
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
A
links are about $17 from Bill Jenkins, iirc. no idea about bushings... I wouldn't bother w/ poly bushings in the front. i would replace the damaged ones w/ stockers. look at this document. picture 7 shows the link disconnected from the strut bracket. trace it down to find the sway bar. none of the items will affect the alignment. and lastly, yes you are

G
Addicted CEG\'er
OP Offline
Addicted CEG\'er
G
am I suppose to remove the suspension and all or does that stay intact? and in that picture, is the sway bar nut towards the left side back?

A
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
A
you don't have to touch anything else. various pictures which show guts falling out in that document are only there to scare weak-minded

sway bar nut is facing away from you on the picture #8 (locate white plastic star half-hidden behind the outer tie rod - that's the lower end of the link) the nut is behind it

G
Addicted CEG\'er
OP Offline
Addicted CEG\'er
G
okay so this is what i'm looking at, all that time the rattling in the front was caused by my damaged sway bar links and brushings, now what I hafta replace are my links but only to the front passenger side becuase thats where the rattling and all is. Now, how many links are in one end like how many do I need to order and also how many brushings?? and can I just order them from the ford dealership along with the brushings?? thanks for being patient with me

A
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
A
I kinda knew what I'm getting into

two bushings in all (i'm sure it's a set).

one link per side. I am a a strong proponent of replacing suspension parts in pairs though.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard