Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
G
I did a quick Search and couldn't find this already mentioned, so sorry if this is a repost.

I seem to get a P0420 every 12-18 months, so this recently-release TSB caught my eye. Evidently a PCM update may address some spurious cat efficiency-related CEL's.

Quote:

TSB 04-15-16

08/09/04
MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP (MIL)
ILLUMINATED WITH DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE(S)
P0420 AND/OR P0430

FORD:
1997-1998 Contour

MERCURY:
1997-1998 Mystique
1999 Cougar

ISSUE

Some 1997-1998 Contour/Mystique and 1999 Cougar vehicles equipped with the 2.5L engine may exhibit a malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) illuminated with diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) P0420 (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold - Bank 1) and/or P0430 (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold - Bank 2).

ACTION

Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using WDS release B32.5 or higher. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com. Replacement of catalysts is no longer necessary to address the most common causes of this condition.

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage

Basically, if you have a 1997 or 1998 V6 and the CEL comes on, have the code read for free at Autozone or by a friend with a scanner. If you have just P0420 or P0430, call the dealership and ask if they have this TSB.

//> //> //> //> //> Garrick 2006 Mazda6 Grand Sport wagon, silver, MTX I'll never forget you: Silver E0, #3895 of 6535, built 10/2/97
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
I remember when this tsb came out. It applies to a lot of vehicles. It does work, but it is just postponing the inevitable. o2 switch ratios are easy to measure - it's hard to believe that a pcm update will rejuvenate a catalytic convertor. As a side note, this tsb is not a free service, unless your vehicle is under 8/80 warranty coverage.

P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by GregH:
I remember when this tsb came out. It applies to a lot of vehicles. It does work,

Probably works because (I heard) all they did was change the threshold for triggering the MIL.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
My cynical guess is that they cooked the PCM programming so that they won't have to replace the converters under warranty anymore.

Let's see: To reflash the PCM - Billable to the customer after the 8/80 (they're all out of 3/36) or replace the converters for a grand under warranty at company expense.....

Yeah, I can see that one....Now the customer pays to make the damned CEL go out and it will probably come back once the 8/80 runs out.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
They did this TSB on my 98, it was about $150 including the hazardous waste fee????

No light now, but not sure if the cats will fail later though.

Will be having emissions testing here soon, so I do not want cat failure late next year when the 8/80 is over.

G
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by GregH:
It does work, but it is just postponing the inevitable. o2 switch ratios are easy to measure - it's hard to believe that a pcm update will rejuvenate a catalytic convertor.

The PCM re-flash doesn't do a thing to the catalytic converters; from what I read in the TSB, it just changes the logic that interprets the O2 sensor output to determine whether the cats are performing acceptably.

I interpret that to mean the "old" logic was prone to spurious alarms whereas the revised logic is not. That's different from simply "raising the alarm threshold" or lowering the bar for a successful diagnostic. To me, this corrects an error in the logic.

If my catalytic converters are indeed going downhill, that certainly hasn't manifested itself in any of the state emissions test results for the car. Not only are the numbers (CO, NOx, HC's, etc.) well below the allowable thresholds (and not trending upwards through the years), but also consider that in order to pass, all onboard emissions tests must be complete and passed, including the cat efficiency test. And no, I haven't had the PCM re-flash performed. The P0420's I get are, as far as I can tell, spurious.

//> //> //> //> //> Garrick 2006 Mazda6 Grand Sport wagon, silver, MTX I'll never forget you: Silver E0, #3895 of 6535, built 10/2/97

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard