Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
tonybox Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
I am experiencing both the throttle hang and moosing problem and am considering using the copper pipe fix. I have a 200 SVT and have heard there is a loss of power associated with this fix. Can anyone advise how severe the loss of power is and how noticable it is during daily driving. The throttle hang has not been too bad and the moosing seems to only occur during cold weather, so if the power loss ifs significant I may decide to just deal with these without the fix. Thanks

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I don't have a SVT be I haven't noticed any loss in power with the fix, in fact I haven't heard that before, plus the dyno results I just got seem pretty good

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Some have reported that they can feel the loss in power and others say it doesn't exist.

The TH fix is cheap and easy as well as easy to remove if you decide you don't like it.

Try it for yourself and see.

By the way, cleaning the IAC (and throttle body) sometimes helps get rid of the moose. You should do that anyway just for maintenance.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
T
tonybox Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
thank you both!!
Big Jim... I hate to admit it but i'm not too mechanically inclined. Could you please explain the procedure for cleaning the ISC and Throttle body as well as the locations of both of them. I tried doing a search but I didn't have any luck. Does anyone have any pics. Thanks again.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Man, i hate moosing... it was 30 degrees this morning on my way to work and my 99 svt was moosing out of control!!!! I am desperate to fix it but i need the motivation!! I'm going to have to check out the How-To again.

C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
If the hole is big enough, you should have no problem. Get two caps and experiment with the size of the hole - just small enough to stop the moose, but not too small.

Doug 2006 Mercury Milan V6 Premier Dark Blue Pearl Former owner of a 2000 SVT Contour
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I remember reading once about moosing maybe in the faq or how to... but since we are talking about it. What exactly causes and is moosing?????

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
i think it has to do with the way the IAC controls the air flow to control idle

the hang is because the computer is programmed to keep it open a little to get better emission numbers

the moose happens when the air resonates and comes back out the intake, it can also cause stalling

link about throttle hang

link on moosing

Last edited by brapple; 11/08/04 06:38 PM.

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by brapple:
the moose happens when the air resonates and comes back out the intake, it can also cause stalling

link about throttle hang

link on moosing

Yup i've been close to stalling a few times!

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by tonybox:
thank you both!!
Big Jim... I hate to admit it but i'm not too mechanically inclined. Could you please explain the procedure for cleaning the ISC and Throttle body as well as the locations of both of them. I tried doing a search but I didn't have any luck. Does anyone have any pics. Thanks again.

Wow, as many times as I have posted this and it still can't be found. Well, here it is again.

Throttle body clean.

Needed materials. Old toothbrush, spray can of throttle body cleaner, screwdriver to remove air intake tube for access.

Find throttle body. It is where air enters the engine after the air filter. Follow large black tube to throttle body. It is also where the throttle cable attaches to the engine.

Warm up engine.

Shut off engine.

Remove air intake tube from throttle body. Use screwdriver to loosen large hose clamp. Ignore label that says not to clean the throttle body. Do be a bit gentle in cleaning it so not to destroy the teflon coating that does help diminish the the deposits (but doesn't eliminate them). Hold throttle wide open (you may want to have an assistant inside the car hold the gas pedal down). Spray the inside of the throttle body, both the throttle bore and the throttle plate, with throttle body cleaner spray. Gently scrub with old toothbrush. Pay special attention to the black carbon ring in the bore just inside of the throttle plate. Gently scrub both sides of the throttle plate as well the top and bottom of the bore. Close throttle and check to see how well the front of the throttle plate is cleaned and continue cleaning if needed.

Reassemble the air intake tube. Start engine. You may need to hold the throttle open slightly while cranking to help clear the cleaner out of the cylinders. Expect the engine to run rough for a few moments until the cleaner is burned out of the cylinders.

This may be a good time to clean the PCV valve as well as the IAC. On the V6 the PCV valve is located below and slightly to the right of the throttle body. I've never found mine sludged up but I ocassionally spray some cleaner into it anyway. The IAC on the V6 is located on the top of the intake manifold at the back sort of near the throttle body. It is a mostly silver colored cylinder. It has a rubber tube attached to it that is about 1" in diameter. I have had success cleaning the valve by spraying cleaner into the tube with the engine running. You may need to hold the engine speed up so it doesn't stall. Many have found it better to actually remove the IAC to clean it. You may not notice anything particularly wrong with the IAC but it may still respond to cleaning. Sometimes it will not respond to cleaning if it has been sticking badly and will need to be replaced.

After you are finished with the cleaning and the engine is running normal and is warmed up, it may be helpful to clear the adaptive strategy from the PCM and start it toward good new habits. Disconnect the battery or pull fuses 4 & 11 for at least 5 minutes. Start the engine with the A/C off and hold the engine speed at about 2000 RPM for about 30 seconds, allow normal idle for about 30 seconds, turn on A/C and hold idle at about 2000 RPM for about 30 seconds, allow normal idle for about 30 seconds then drive mildly for about 5 minutes.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard