Print Thread
#1098824 11/06/04 10:35 PM
W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
So I've noticed a few things over the last couple months:

1. Anytime someone asks about pinning their secondaries, removing the butterflies, etc. the response is an onslaught of "Don't do it," "Your car needs it," "Removing it hurts performance" etc.. posts.

2. Many of the fastest, most tuned Contiques, are not using their IMRC's.

3. The same people telling others not to remove the IMRC are the owners of the cars with the IMRC removed.

4. The biggest reasons not to remove the IMRC/pin secondaries is that the computer will throw a CEL if the IMRC is gone and/or the air/fuel ratio will be wrong with the secondaries open all the time, causing lean conditions.

My questions:

1. Are the cars with the IMRC's removed all running full 3.0 oval port conversions, making the IMRC usless?

2. If it is indeed fully possible to rig a circuit to prevent a CEL while also preventing a lean condition, why not post a HOW-TO so that others can read what it takes and make the descion as to whether they want to risk screwing something up?

3. Is the solution to removing the IMRC getting an aftermarket chip and having it programmed to negate the computer's belief that an IMRC exists on the car?

'98 CSVT 3L Hybrid "It all comes down to how fast you want your money to go." ______________________________________________ View Profile
#1098825 11/07/04 12:30 AM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
People are not removing secondaries on oval port 3.0Ls, because they were never there to begin with. Secondaries were only used on the split port engines. I believe the only way to remove the secondaries without throwing a cel, is to just remove the secondary plates and leave the shafts in the lim. Is a couple hp gain, worth the tq loss? Not in my book.

Jim Hahn 1996 T-Red Contour SE Reborn 4/6/04 3.0L swap and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit 364 whp, 410 wtq @ 4,700 rpm
#1098826 11/07/04 05:40 AM
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by beyondloadedSE:
1. People are not removing secondaries on oval port 3.0Ls, because they were never there to begin with.
Secondaries were only used on the split port engines.

2. I believe the only way to remove the secondaries without throwing a cel, is to just remove the secondary plates and leave the shafts in the lim.

3. Is a couple hp gain, worth the tq loss? Not in my book.

1. Your wording or perhaps thinking is incorrect.

Just because you are using oval port heads doesn't mean you do not have secondaries because it has nothing to do with the LIM.

The butterflies are in the LIM and not the heads.

There are several folks running secondaries with their full oval port 3L's.
Then for that matter I ran my 2.5L without secondaries but that's a completely different story.

2. Why would you leave the shafts installed???
That's defeating one of the major benefits. Removing that restriction! (yes there are several benefits)

You remove everything. Then rig the IMRC with a return spring. Your IMRC is still prone to heat failure though. Also if you change the IMRC point you will decrease it's life expectancy because it will be "running" longer.

3. "Properly Tuned" the loss is not that great and the gains are well worth it since they come from 3000rpm on up and get better the higher you rev the engine.
Your main loss is below 2500rpm. Nobody drives below that anyway right.

Now getting it properly tuned is by far the hardest point. IMO if you can't self tune then don't bother. Now if you need a custom chip anyway then it's a better proposition.
However while you should get WOT decent with $$$ on the dyno you won't get regular driving, idle, part throttle, et cetera.

Either way a chip is a MUST if you remove the secondaries. Without it you won't get any significant timing increase. I have a break down on my site.

Matter of fact I have all this information and more in great detail on my website!

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
#1098827 11/07/04 07:40 AM
W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
Originally posted by Wyrp:
Are the cars with the IMRC's removed all running full 3.0 oval port conversions, making the IMRC usless?

My wording may not have been clear. I'm aware that the oval port 3.0L does not have secondaries and therefore has no need for the IMRC. I was trying to ask if all the cars minus the IMRC are running this setup.

I must also clarify that I am not currently making these inquiries in-order-to remove my secondaries/IMRC, I am merely trying to determine why I witness my origional premises.

1. Anytime someone asks about pinning their secondaries, removing the butterflies, etc. the response is an onslaught of "Don't do it," "Your car needs it," "Removing it hurts performance" etc.. posts.

2. Many of the fastest, most tuned Contiques, are not using their IMRC's.

3. The same people telling others not to remove the IMRC are the owners of the cars with the IMRC removed.

'98 CSVT 3L Hybrid "It all comes down to how fast you want your money to go." ______________________________________________ View Profile
#1098828 11/07/04 02:32 PM
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
I was trying to ask if all the cars minus the IMRC are running this setup.

2. I must also clarify that I am not currently making these inquiries in-order-to remove my secondaries/IMRC, I am merely trying to determine why I witness my original premises.

1. No.

2. It's all about the tuning ability or lack there of.
Even when I didn't have the TwEECer I had a chip (advanced timing) and an S-AFC (rpm & tps programmable fuel)
Now I have a setup far better then any dyno has.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
#1098829 11/08/04 02:57 AM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Demon, I was referring to straight oval port 3.0Ls (i.e. no mismatching split port intakes)

Jim Hahn 1996 T-Red Contour SE Reborn 4/6/04 3.0L swap and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit 364 whp, 410 wtq @ 4,700 rpm

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard