Print Thread
#1098180 11/05/04 10:01 PM
#
#245 Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
#
I did do the searches and found nothing similar (close but not quite). Here's the problem. 98 CSVT, start it up and it immediately revs up to 2700 then comes down to about 1200 quickly, might jump up to 1500 then slowly settles to 700. All this in about 5 seconds. Very annoying. Additional info I also I did the Ford moose fix for $80 this summer and have not had any problems since then (about 2000 miles ago) until just this past week.
Currently 75,000 miles, new ford short block engine due to previous owner water pump at (you guessed it - 63,000 miles)

What's dirty? Or Broke? Or clogged?

Thanks

Jack - 98 CSVT #245
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Most likely an adaptive strategy problem. I recommend that you clean the throttle body and IAC and then reset the processor by removing fuses 4 & 11 for at least five minutes. Follow up by driving mildly for about 5 minutes. Start with a well warmed up engine.

If you wish to do a more thorough resteing of the adaptive strategy, When you start the engine after dumping the memory by pulling the fuses have the A/C off and hold the idle at about 2000 RPM for about 30 seconds, normal idle for 30 seconds, turn on A/C and hold idle at about 2000 RPM for about 30 seconds, then idle for about 30 seconds followed by mild driving for about 5 minutes.

Basically your computer has learned some bad habits and you need to dump that memory and start it toward better new habits.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Well too bad you paid $80. Should have done the CEG moose fix for under $.25. Look in the FAQ under throttle hang fix. I'm not a search Nazi, just to lazy to get the link for you...

Damn Jim got to it before me...Probably better...Providing Moosing IS your problem, do what I said, but I'd follow Jim's advice first, since you he is much more wise in these areas then I am.

Last edited by FreeShyne; 11/06/04 04:35 AM.
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
Mine does something similar, I have a 'moose'/throttle hang fix too. During driving, my rpms jump up to 3k rpm when I come off the gas during chaging gear. If I turn the engine off and restart, it cures it? I think it might be a faulty Idle control valve, car currently has 110k miles. I am going to change that part and hopefully it might cure it.

1996 Mondeo 24v 4-door twin janspeed stainless pipe cat by-pass Phase 2 RS bodykit 16" cosworth alloys K&N RU3530 SVT TB/UIM/LIM poly bushings konis/bat springs/bar Pioneer MSDS Indiglos P&P heads 2005 Mondeo Zetec Tdci
#
#245 Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
#
Thanks for the tips Big Jim, that is why I use this forum to get good advice.
Since I had done the 4-11 reset several times before, it appears my computer was indeed bogusly set up, as I just pulled the 4-11 and started driving (without "re-setting").
It really does make a difference on how it idles.
Also the reason I mentioned the moosing fix was that since I replaced the IAC this summer it would be doubtful it would be gummed up in 3 months, so that is why I brought that up and I usually always go with a ford part rather than make my own.For me a $80 surefire fix by ford is not that big a deal when my wife and little girl use the car, just a choice we make.

Jack - 98 CSVT #245

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard