Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
SVTake2 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
I recently purchased a black 98 SVT with a blown engine. Between the guy selling it and what I've see i would guess i has a spun bearing. It still has all its oil and knocks badly while running. I only looked at the car once and was not able to hear it run myself. Not that it really matters i want the car either way, and the less it runs the less chance for more damage. My questions is what dammage should i expect on the heads? I know it is a interfearence head so im sure at least the valves are bent, but can it cause dammage to the head casting, valve guides, cams etc as well? I plan on replacing the valves anyways with 3L units. Any expierence or theories are apprciated!

P.s. Search Phycos go easy, i found some mention of it but not much detail.

98.5 Black contour // A.K.A. Frankenstein 3L Oval port swap W P&P // SVT UIM, LIM, & Cams Torsen LSD // Dual Friction // KKM // Poly Mounts // ?Mystery Mod? // Actually Running! 205 hp @ 6500RPM 180 tq @ 4250RPM
B
Redneck Troll
Redneck Troll
B
If the bottom end is making the noise, then the heads should be fine... unless the bearings are totally gone out of the rods, to where the pistons would hit the head that is. Most spun bearings come at the price of severe "walking" of the other bearings that didn't spin, including the mains... some of which may have actually spun too. Once you get the oil pan off, you can see which rod bearing went by moving the rod around with your hand, or by gently tapping the rod caps with a small hammer to find the one/ones that don't sound solid. To find the condition of the mains, the whole bottom end will have to come off.

Since you're posting in the 3L forum, I assume you're thinking about a 3L swap then? My advice, inspect then sell the SVT heads for some dough, keep the SVT cams and put them in the 3L oval port heads from a 2001+ 3L from an Escape/Tribute and do a full 3L swap.

http://www.bnmotorsports.com "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my CEG brothers. And you will know I am the Moderator when I lay my vengeance upon you."
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Are the escape heads that much better than the 2.5L heads? Do they offer more flow/power? I was under the impression that the 2.5L heads would result in a better hp increas. Please set me straight on this issue.

~Mike

D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by DeltarMN:
Are the escape heads that much better than the 2.5L heads? Do they offer more flow/power? I was under the impression that the 2.5L heads would result in a better hp increas. Please set me straight on this issue.

~Mike

2.5L (i.e. hybrid) offers a greater CR. (~11.24 straight swap no chamber work)

However you can't get any real timing on pump gas (92-93 octane) so it's not as big of a perk as it could be. To be honest it can actually be detrimental "comparatively" because a lower CR engine can run optimum MBT.

The oval (tumble) port heads are significantly superior to the split port heads.
Flow bench results alone show bone stock oval ports flow nearly what full ported split port heads do.
Then add in the fact the tumble design promotes much greater cylinder filling & fuel atomization and you see why even basic oval port engines are dynoing just like all out ported hybrid engines.

Better design, more efficient heads beats higher CR and porting on pump gas. It's also $$$$ cheaper to boot.
Price porting heads and adding 3L valves & seats once. The labor is killer and the price per hour is very legit. It is Extremely time consuming!

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
Originally posted by DeltarMN:

~Mike

2.5L (i.e. hybrid) offers a greater CR. (~11.24 straight swap no chamber work)

However you can't get any real timing on pump gas (92-93 octane) so it's not as big of a perk as it could be. To be honest it can actually be detrimental "comparatively" because a lower CR engine can run optimum MBT.

The oval (tumble) port heads are significantly superior to the split port heads.
Flow bench results alone show bone stock oval ports flow nearly what full ported split port heads do.
Then add in the fact the tumble design promotes much greater cylinder filling & fuel atomization and you see why even basic oval port engines are dynoing just like all out ported hybrid engines.

Better design, more efficient heads beats higher CR and porting on pump gas. It's also $$$$ cheaper to boot.
Price porting heads and adding 3L valves & seats once. The labor is killer and the price per hour is very legit. It is Extremely time consuming!

Yes, but those of us with skills do manage a good P&P job don't we!

OF course, I've made life easier with my oval port heads too but hey.... My stuff was the sh|t!

Do as he says, swap in an oval port 3L and it will be very satisfying for you.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by warmonger:
Yes, but those of us with skills do manage a good P&P job don't we!

OF course, I've made life easier with my oval port heads too but hey.... My stuff was the sh|t!

Do as he says.

"Only" good! Speak for yourself Tom.

Now now we know MY stuff is the sh~t. Not "was" like yours.

Finally we agree...

Man you better hurry back. It's not quite as satisfying poking fun at you vicariously.

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
What kind of HP do you all expect on a mildly tuned full 3L with SVT cams?

Curtis 3L 'Oval Port' 98 Black SVT 180.5HP/178lbft '03 Black Sport Trac
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by SVTNupe:
What kind of HP do you all expect on a mildly tuned full 3L with SVT cams?

oval or split port? 3.0L intakes as well?

Jim Hahn 1996 T-Red Contour SE Reborn 4/6/04 3.0L swap and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit 364 whp, 410 wtq @ 4,700 rpm
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Oval with 3L intakes. This is my setup which dynoed at 180.5hp @ ~6250 and 178.5ftlbs @ ~4500. I'd post the dyno plot if I knew how.

Curtis 3L 'Oval Port' 98 Black SVT 180.5HP/178lbft '03 Black Sport Trac
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by SVTNupe:
Oval with 3L intakes. This is my setup which dynoed at 180.5hp @ ~6250 and 178.5ftlbs @ ~4500. I'd post the dyno plot if I knew how.

Ouch!

Sounds like you have other issues.

My 2.5L put down 190's and 170's.

An SVT 3L oval port should be around 200/190.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard